Stefan's Florilegium article for February

  • Stefan li Rous
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 7, 2011
      Greetings to the Gentles of Known World,

      Here is a copy of my Florilegium article for February detailing what is new in the Florilegium this month.

      I am always looking for good articles for the Florilegium. If you have researched a little known subject in our period or you practice a little known art or craft, writing an article is an excellent way to introduce others to the work you've done. I'm especially interested in academic papers written for A&S contests because, unfortunately, few have time at such an event to read them. Even the judges. Getting them published in the Florilegium lets your hard word benefit the entire Known World.

      Have you looked for a topic or an article in the Florilegium and not found it? If so, please let me know and I'll see if I can find and get permission to add such an article or convince someone to write one.

      If you or your local group maintain an SCA or a related website, I would appreciate a link to the Florilegium or any of the sections under it.

      Thank you to all who have taken the time to look at the ads when you visited the Florilegium and picked on one or two. The Florilegium is completely supported by the ads that merchants are willing to run, along with a few donations. Unfortunately, I think because of folks using ad blocking programs, while the ad viewing count is going down, the number of hits on the site and the load on the servers is going up.

      Lastly, if you have any suggestions, questions, comments or criticisms about the Florilegium, please feel free to email me.

      Thanks,
      Stefan
      -----
      A Blending of the Past and Present

      Over the past twenty-one years in an ongoing effort, I have been collecting bits of useful information from various newsgroups, mail lists and articles submitted to me by their authors. In order to make this information available to others, I have placed this information in a collection of files called Stefan's Florilegium.

      I am always interested in new articles. If you have written an article that would be of interest to others in the SCA, please send it to me for possible inclusion in the Florilegium. A&S documentation and class handouts will also often work out well. I am especially interested in research papers submitted as A&S entries.

      The Florilegium now has an RSS feed for those who want an immediate alert when new or updated files are uploaded to the website.

      Advertisements on the site pay for its upkeep. If you enjoy the Florilegium, please click on an ad or two whenever you are there.

      THLord Stefan li Rous Ansteorra stefan at florilegium.org

      Here are the new files for this month:
      In the BEVERAGES section:
      N-Guid-Brewng-art "Yet Another Newbie Guide to Brewing"
      by HL Rory McGowen.
      In the CELEBRATIONS AND EVENTS section:
      Grimfells-Ren-art A dog's viewpoint of the 2009 Grimfells
      Renasissance event in Calontir by Baroness
      Jenna of SouthWind, OP.
      Ransom-Leylnd-art A dog's viewpoint of the 1999 Ransom of
      Leyland event in Calontir by Baroness
      Jenna of SouthWind, OP.
      In the FEASTS section:
      Med-Fsts-CPHP-art "Medieval Feasts - culinary creativity,
      pageantry, honour and prestige" by Lady
      Dominica de Zeragoza.
      In the FOOD-BREADS section:
      cheese-breads-msg Period cheese bread or biscuit recipes.
      In the FOOD-MEATS section:
      beaver-meat-msg Eating beaver and beaver tail in period.
      In the NEWCOMERS section:
      Volunteer!-art "Volunteers in the SCA" by Mistress Jane Beaumont.
      In the SCA-SOCIOLOGY section:
      Politics-SCA-art "Politics in the SCA or Machiavelli never had
      to deal with THIS" by Ioseph of Locksley, OL, OP, &c.
      In the SCA-STORIES section:
      Tin-Foil-Trag-art "Tin Foil Tragedy". A tale from Trimaris.

      Here are the updated files for this month.
      Anglo-Saxons-msg Anglo-Saxon history and culture.
      bag-cooking-msg Using plastic bags to warm pre-cooked foods
      at SCA events. Vacuum food sealers.
      cider-msg Apple and other ciders. Cider presses.
      dogs-msg Dogs. Barding for dogs. dog collars.
      Lochac-hist-msg History and description of the Kingdom
      of Lochac. (Australia, New Zealand)
      peaches-msg Medieval peaches and peach recipes.
      rabbit-dishes-msg Period rabbit and hare recipes.
      salads-msg Period salads. lettuce, greens.
      ---
      Copyright 2011, Mark S. Harris. Permission to reprint in SCA-related publications is hereby granted if the file descriptions are left unchanged. Removing any of the updated files listed in order to fit the article into limited publication space is allowed. The article introduction may also be edited, provided the web address and contact info are retained.

      <end>

      --------
    • Stefan li Rous
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 5, 2012
        Greetings to the Gentlefolk of the SCA,

        Here is a copy of my Florilegium article for February detailing what
        is new in the Florilegium this month.

        I am always looking for good articles for the Florilegium. If you have
        researched something in our period or you practice a little known art
        or craft, writing an article is an excellent way to introduce others
        to the work you've done. I'm especially interested in academic papers
        written for A&S contests because, unfortunately, few have time at such
        an event to read them. Even the judges. Getting them published in the
        Florilegium lets your hard word benefit the entire Known World. Word
        format is the easiest for me to handle, but others are possible.

        If you have previously sent me an article and it has not appeared in
        the Florilegium. Sometimes email doesn't arrive, sometimes I just lose
        track of things, sometimes there are technical problems which with
        help from the original author can be resolved.

        If you, your household or your local group run a website, please
        consider adding a link there to the Florilegium. Not only does this
        help people who might be interested in what the Florilegium offers
        find the site, but it raises the site in the Google ratings and thus
        might bring in more ad money to keep the site going.

        Thanks,
        Stefan
        -------
        A Blending of the Past and Present

        Over the past twenty-two years in an ongoing effort, I have been
        collecting bits of useful information from various newsgroups, mail
        lists and articles submitted to me by their authors. In order to make
        this information available to others, I have placed this information
        in a collection of files called Stefan's Florilegium.

        I am always interested in new articles. If you have written an article
        that would be of interest to others in the SCA, please send it to me
        for possible inclusion in the Florilegium. A&S documentation and class
        handouts will also often work well. I am especially interested in

        THLord Stefan li Rous Ansteorra stefan at florilegium.org

        Here are the new files for this month:
        In the PLANTS, HERBS AND SPICES section:
        esential-oils-msg Using, making and buying essential oils.
        In the SCA-INC section:
        Mvng-Fd-Dish-art "Moving the Food Dish - Being an officer in an
        ever-changing Known World" by Master Aaron
        Swiftrunner, former Society Seneschal.
        In the SCA-STORIES section:
        SCA-hist4-msg Msgs on the history of the SCA until 1/12.
        In the TRAVEL section:
        trvlg-w-shlds-msg Traveling with shields by commercial transport.

        Here are the updated files for this month.
        coronets-msg Medieval coronets and crowns. Modern sources
        crabapples-msg Period crabapples and their uses.
        crash-space-msg 'crash-space etiquette' for both the traveler
        and the crash-space provider.
        crossbows-msg Period and SCA crossbows.
        dayboards-msg SCA dayboards, middle-of-the-day meals.
        egg-storage-msg Period and modern raw egg storage.
        event-maps-msg Making maps to SCA events.
        fd-Iceland-msg Food of medieval Iceland. Recipes.
        fried-foods-msg Medieval fried foods. Recipes.
        panforte-msg A medieval Italian, sweetened, spiced dessert
        bread similar to fruitcake or Lebkuchen.
        perry-msg A cider made with pear juice.
        saffron-msg Types of saffron. period uses.
        SCA-hist3-msg Msgs on the history of the SCA until 12/00.
        sewing-msg Sewing ideas and stitches.
        song-sources-msg Sources for medieval songs. Book reviews.
        stews-bruets-msg Period stews and bruets. Recipes.
        veils-msg Period veils. How to wear them.
        ---
        Copyright 2012, Mark S. Harris. Permission to reprint in SCA-related
        publications is hereby granted if the file descriptions are left
        unchanged. Removing any of the updated files listed in order to fit
        the article into limited publication space is allowed. The article
        introduction may also be edited, provided the web address and contact
        info are retained.

        <end>

        --------
        http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris
      • Stefan li Rous
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 10, 2013
          Greetings to the Gentlefolk of the SCA,

          Here is a copy of my Florilegium article for February detailing what is new in the Florilegium this month.

          My apologies for this delay, as the last Florilegium monthly article was published last September. Alas, I and my lady have had a number of travails and my time for the Florilegium was limited. Although I am still in the middle of seeking employment, the rest of my life has settled down a bit, so you should see more updates in the Florilegium.

          I am always looking for good articles for the Florilegium. If you have researched something in our period or you practice a little known art or craft, writing an article is an excellent way to introduce others to the work you've done. I'm especially interested in academic papers written for A&S contests because, unfortunately, few have time at such an event to read them. Even the judges. Getting them published in the Florilegium lets your hard word benefit the entire Known World. Word format is the easiest for me to handle, but others are possible.

          If you, your household or your local group run a website, please consider adding a link there to the Florilegium. Not only does this help people who might be interested in what the Florilegium offers find the site, but it raises the site in the Google ratings and thus might bring in more ad money to keep the site going.

          We are in the process of moving the Florilegium to a content management system, Joomla, which should bring new features and more interaction by readers. If anyone knows Joomla and would like to help, please contact me.

          Thanks,
          Stefan
          ---------
          A Blending of the Past and Present

          Over the past twenty-three years in an ongoing effort, I have been collecting bits of useful information from various newsgroups, mail lists and articles submitted to me by their authors. In order to make this information available to others, I have placed this information in a collection of files called Stefan's Florilegium.

          I am always interested in new articles. If you have written an article that would be of interest to others in the SCA, please send it to me for possible inclusion in the Florilegium. A&S documentation and class handouts will also often work well. I am especially interested in research papers submitted as A&S entries.

          THLord Stefan li Rous Ansteorra stefan at florilegium.org

          Here are the new files for this month:
          In the ARCHERY section:
          Triangle-Targ-art "The Triangle or Fitz-Rauf Target"
          by Sir Jon Fitz-Rauf, R.C.A., R.C.Y.
          In the HERALDRY section:
          silk-banners-msg Silk banners in period and the SCA.

          In the NEWCOMERS section:
          Generic-Pants-art "Generic Pants" by Caitlin nic Raighne.
          SCA-Terms-art "What Language are You Speaking?
" by Lady
          Alison Wodehalle. SCA vocabulary.

          Here are the updated files for this month.
          capers-msg Use of capers in medieval food.
          Dog-Ball-msg A sport played in standard SCA armor and
          polearms, based on a game in the movie “Blood of Heroes”.
          heraldry-msg Heraldry in history and the SCA.
          spiced-wine-msg Spiced wines. Hippocras. Recipes.
          Switzerland-msg Medieval Switzerland. Resources.
          taverns-msg SCA and period taverns.
          ----
          Copyright 2013, Mark S. Harris. Permission to reprint in SCA-related publications is hereby granted if the file descriptions are left unchanged. Removing any of the updated files listed in order to fit the article into limited publication space is allowed. The article introduction may also be edited, provided the web address and contact info are retained.

          <end>
          --------
          http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris