re: We found a local group!

  • Stefan li Rous
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 1, 2011
      Maryelizabeth/Apollonia said:
      <<< I accidentally found out that there are a group of members that live about an hour and a half from us that are very active. They are not a canton but are part of Black Diamond, in Atlantia.

      My older son has decided that he would like to become a heavy fighter and the little one, an archer (for now).

      The friend who told me about the group (she didn't realize how close we lived to them) is going to pass my contact info on to their chatelaine.

      I think having the ability to interact with Scadias in our area will make being in Crown Lands a bit less lonely.>>>

      I hadn't realized from your earlier discussions that you hadn't found a local group.

      An hour and a half is still a long way away in some areas, but close in others. In the Phoenix area, that radius includes three baronies and I think another group of two. In Trimaris that could be most of the kingdom. The same in Caid.

      I do have this file in the SCA-INC section with some suggestions from folks in similar situations:
      sprd-out-grps-msg (12K) 5/ 3/10 Handling SCA groups spread over a large area
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/SCA-INC/sprd-out-grps-msg.html

      If you can gather in some folks closer to you, forming a household can also help. In the early days of the SCA, official groups were few and far between, so households were seen much more.
      households-msg (34K) 2/ 5/08 Comments on households in the SCA.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/SCA-INC/households-msg.html

      recruiting-art (16K) 7/13/02 "On the Recruiting and Retention of New Members" by Lady Meliora Leuedai de Ardescote.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/SCA-INC/recruiting-art.html

      recruitment-msg (57K) 9/29/10 Recruitment ideas. Bringing in new members.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/SCA-INC/recruitment-msg.html

      Apollonia, had you previously tried the www.sca.org site? I had heard, although I've never checked it out, that there was a way on that site to plug in your location and find out the closest local groups to you. But perhaps this site does indicate the Black Diamond group, but not this offshoot of folks that are nearer to you.

      Stefan

      --------
    • Cailin Mac Kinnach
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 1, 2011
        Maryel, I may have missed it, but where are you, exactly?

        I used to be a part of Black Diamond, they're a good group. I'm still part
        of their email list. I recommend subscribing to it as its fairly active.

        Cailin

        On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 1:07 PM, Justinos Tekton called Justin <
        justin@...> wrote:

        > On Tue, 2011-02-01 at 02:36 +0000, Maryelizabeth wrote:
        > > I accidentally found out that there are a group of members that live
        > > about an hour and a half from us that are very active.
        >
        > Excellent news! I hope you meet many new friends.
        >
        > Warm regards,
        >
        > Justin
        >
        > --
        > ()xxxx[]::::::::::::::::::> <::::::::::::::::::[]xxxx()
        > Gules, on a bezant a fleam sable and on a chief dovetailed Or two keys
        > fesswise reversed sable.
        >
        > justin@... <justin%404th.com> http://4th.com/sca/justin/

      • Maryelizabeth Hancock
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 1, 2011
          I am in Nathalie, which is just over the line into Halifax County from Brookneal. It takes me about 1 hr and 20 mins to get to Lynchburg Walmart on Ward's Rd.
          Maryelizabeth Hancock

          > I used to be a part of Black Diamond, they're a good group.
          > I'm still part
          > of their email list. I recommend subscribing to it as its
          > fairly active.
          >
          > Cailin
          >
          > On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 1:07 PM, Justinos Tekton called
          > Justin <
          > justin@...>
          > wrote:
          >

          > > On Tue, 2011-02-01 at 02:36 +0000, Maryelizabeth
          > wrote:
          > > > I accidentally found out that there are a group
          > of members that live
          > > > about an hour and a half from us that are very
          > active.
          > >
          > > Excellent news! I hope you meet many new friends.
          > >
          > > Warm regards,
          > >
          > > Justin
          > >
          > > --
          > > ()xxxx[]::::::::::::::::::>
          > <::::::::::::::::::[]xxxx()
          > > Maistor Justinos Tekton called Justin (Scott
          > Courtney)
          > > Gules, on a bezant a fleam sable and on a chief
          > dovetailed Or two keys
          > > fesswise reversed sable.
          > >
          > > justin@...
          > <justin%404th.com> http://4th.com/sca/justin/

          >     scanewcomers-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

        • Maryelizabeth Hancock
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 1, 2011
            I had looked on both the site for the SCA and for Atlantia, but no close group other than Black Diamond, which is in VA (where I am also) and Windmaster's Hill, which is in NC. I am just happy as can be that there is something going on that close to us.

            I live in a part of the crown lands where there are many more cows than people. (Literally)

            I used to live in a city and the thought of taking an hour and a half to get to anywhere was considered an issue. Now, living way out here, anything under two hours is close. Three is considered a good drive.

            Maryelizabeth Hancock