Another qestion about names?

  • nock_6
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 7, 2011
      After joining the SCA 6 months ago I think my Lord and I have settled on 13 century English personas. So after researching first names he has decided to go with Hugo and I with Aldreda. My question is concerning last names. It is my understanding that they were just coming into use about this time and usually refered to your occupation or where you came from. I would like to go with "of Knockingwood" as our last name but being as how it is totally original was wondering if it would be acceptable?
      Aldreda of Knockingwood
      mka Shar.
    • Daniel Brizendine
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 7, 2011
        Knockingwood. Where did you get that name. Do you have documentation of
        the use of that name in period.

        Dmitr

        On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 1:01 PM, nock_6 <nock_6@...> wrote:

        > After joining the SCA 6 months ago I think my Lord and I have settled on 13
        > century English personas. So after researching first names he has decided to
        > go with Hugo and I with Aldreda. My question is concerning last names. It is
        > my understanding that they were just coming into use about this time and
        > usually refered to your occupation or where you came from. I would like to
        > go with "of Knockingwood" as our last name but being as how it is totally
        > original was wondering if it would be acceptable?
        > Aldreda of Knockingwood
        > mka Shar.

      • nock_6
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 8, 2011
          --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Daniel Brizendine <norseceltbear@...> wrote:

          > Knockingwood. Where did you get that name. Do you have documentation of
          > the use of that name in period.
          >
          > Dmitr

          No Dmitr I do not have documentation of that name in period. It was just one I made up well because I like it and it sounds cool and I actually know how to say it properly! But did you know that every culture in the world currently has an expression "to knock on wood" or something similar to ward off evil spirits or bad luck. I just don't remember exactly when it came into use.
          Aldreda
        • nock_6
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 9, 2011
            --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Daniel Brizendine <norseceltbear@...> wrote:

            > Knockingwood. Where did you get that name. Do you have documentation of
            > the use of that name in period.
            >
            > Dmitr

            No Dmitr I have no documentation. It is completly original. I like it and can actually say it properly, besides I have not been able to find anything else I like.
            Aldreda
          • Cailin Mac Kinnach
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 9, 2011
              A hearld may be along shortly to give you great advice, but for now, I'll
              try.

              When registering an sca name, using a locative surname requires one of the
              following be true: you can document the location in a time period consistent
              with your given name, or the location is an existing sca location.

              For example, I was Cailin of Sylvan Glen while resolving an aural conflict
              with a previously registered name.

              While creating a locative name may have worked decades ago in the SCA, I
              don't think it will anymore.

              But I'm not a hearld, so I could be wrong.

              On Sat, Jan 8, 2011 at 9:30 PM, nock_6 <nock_6@...> wrote:

              > --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com <scanewcomers%40yahoogroups.com>,
              > Daniel Brizendine <norseceltbear@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Knockingwood. Where did you get that name. Do you have documentation of
              > > the use of that name in period.
              > >
              > > Dmitr
              > >
              > No Dmitr I do not have documentation of that name in period. It was just
              > one I made up well because I like it and it sounds cool and I actually know
              > how to say it properly! But did you know that every culture in the world
              > currently has an expression "to knock on wood" or something similar to ward
              > off evil spirits or bad luck. I just don't remember exactly when it came
              > into use.
              > Aldreda

            • Daniel Brizendine
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 9, 2011
                If you are going to register your name then you must have documentation and
                I suggest St. Gabriel Name site as if it is on there then that is nearly all
                that you need.

                Dmitr
                At Large Herald in Calontir