Re: [SCA Newcomers] Help with my SCA name please?

  • Josef Weber
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 6, 2011
      ok. Thanks. I'll skip the middle name then. I really don't need it but I thought
      I'd ask anyways. and from what I have found in my research the name Ferran...i
      think i spelled it right....was a name used in 15th century Germany, and
      Ferentus is just one of several variations on it.

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 7, 2011
        Josef Weber asked:
        <<< Bye the meaning of the name, I am looking at it like this. Karolus means free man. Ferentus means journey or peace + ready/prepared. So what is the meaning behind the name Örtel? And is my name Legit enough? >>>

        What is the meaning behind "Josef Weber"? You don't know? Is it just a name? That is how the folks in period thought also. You might be named after someone or because your parents simply liked the name.

        You didn't mention where you live, but your local herald is probably the best person to run your name by first. You would most likely be submitting your name through them anyway.

        Depending upon where you live there may also be some free-range heralds who could help you as well.

        Stefan

        --------
      • Kristen Praiswater
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 7, 2011
          Are free range heralds like free range chickens?  LOL!!

          Valentina

          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 8, 2011
            Are free range heralds like free range chickens?  LOL!!

            Valentina

            no they are not. free range heralds cook up easier and taste much better. but on the other hand, free range chickens don't run around yakking in heraldese about how wrong a name is or how to properly design a devise.  john of antioche