Is the SCA really that expensive?

  • Stefan li Rous
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 6, 2011
      Michelle replied to me with:
      <<< Haha, well, thank you. It is a lot of information and I have to admit... I'm
      a bit overwhelmed. I guess I have to say enough for now. I'm afraid that if
      I show my husband how much work this is, he'll change his mind...

      I'm in Gylendholt, in Caid. ;) >>>

      Okay, it is my understanding that Caid does very little camping, since it is difficult to find places to camp in southern California. It is also a fairly dense kingdom population wise, so many SCA events are doable as single-day events.

      For the ones that are longer or maybe those that are further away, you can often obtain crash space with fellow SCA folks in the area of the event. I do have this short file on the courtesies involved in offering and using crash space. In the NEWCOMERS section:
      crash-space-msg (22K) 10/25/09 'crash-space etiquette' for both the traveler and the crash-space provider.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/NEWCOMERS/crash-space-msg.html

      Crash space doesn't seem to be used as much these days as it apparently was when most SCA folks were college students but it is often still an option, depending upon the region.

      <<< While that does sound like an exquisite style of camping, it also sounds
      like a fire hazard with a destructive toddler and horrendously expensive.
      How do you guys do it? Do you always all make your own things? I am crafty,
      but not THAT crafty. I can knit and that's about it. Also, um, where do you
      all find the time?? >>>

      Oops. One thing I meant to mention was that I've been in the SCA for 21 years. It took time to build up the camp I described.

      The SCA can be a very cheap hobby or it can be expensive. A lot of it depends upon whether you make useable stuff or whether you buy the flashiest, most authentic equipment and clothes.

      One of the strong and weak points of the SCA is that, yes, we often do make our own things. It's a good way to learn new skills. On the otherhand, I started on a chainmail shirt about 20 years ago. It is now a chainmail vest because I haven't found the time to finish the sleeves on it. Unfortunately, over the years it seems to have shrunk a bit and is now a bit too tight for me. :-)

      Also years ago I saw some neat wooden tablets with wax in them for writing on. A very period way to take notes, for those that could write. I figured though, why buy it for $10 or $20 when I could make my own! Well, I still don't have my wax tablet...

      A fair amount of selling and bartering goes on within the SCA. I can barely sew, with a lot of fumbling around. My wife thinks she is even worse than I am, and won't even try. So some of my outfits I've bought, some were made for me, some were hand-me-downs from others, some were from SCA auctions, a couple were from a local theater group that shut down etc.

      My personal banner, with my coat of arms on it, was a trade. My wife is a good photographer and traded some photowork for it. I traded an industrial sewing machine for our pavilion.

      I've seen some knitting bartered in my local group for things. If you can do that, you can probably do similar handskills. See some of the files in the TEXTILE ARTS section of the Florilegium on knitting, embroidery and such, when you have the time.

      Get together with some of the other parents in your local group or at the events you go to and arrange to watch some of their kids along with yours for a while and then trade off.

      Sorry, yet more files, but these two are full of ways to do things more cheaply.

      Thrifty-Anach-art (29K) 6/29/10 "The Thrifty Anachronist: The Handbook" by Lady Mathilda Harper. Thrift stores for inexpensive SCA clothing.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/NEWCOMERS/Thrifty-Anach-art.html

      SCA-Upcycling-art (16K) 6/ 3/10 "SCA Upcycling: Costuming on a Budget" by Lady Jeanne-Marie la Verriere.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/CLOTHING/SCA-Upcycling-art.html

      Stefan
      --------