Re: [SCA Newcomers] Re: What do you do with your toddler? :)

    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 6, 2011
      <<Haha, well, thank you. It is a lot of information and I have to admit... I'm
      bit overwhelmed. I guess I have to say enough for now. I'm afraid that if
      show my husband how much work this is, he'll change his mind. (Not to say
      e isn't a hard worker, but he's not as interested as I am.)>>

      It doesn't have to be a lot of work unless you want it to be. Lots of people only go to day events, or have a simple modern tent and modern stuff. Those of us who have the elaborate stuff have built it up over years, after taking more years to acquire the desire for it :-)
      <<While that does sound like an exquisite style of camping, it also sounds
      ike a fire hazard with a destructive toddler and horrendously expensive.
      ow do you guys do it? Do you always all make your own things? I am crafty,
      ut not THAT crafty. I can knit and that's about it. Also, um, where do you
      ll find the time??>>
      My son's been camping with us since he was 4 months old. Any flame-powered lighting sources are kept out of his reach, or we use olive oil lamps, which go out if tipped over. We also took two of the Super Playards with us and created a fenced-in area for him that extended slightly out from our pavilion so that he could be inside or outside, but couldn't get out. Once he got older, we still took the playyard, but only put him in it if he refused to stay within the boundaries we set. At nearly 6, he is responsible enough to know where he is and isn't allowed to go - no entering other's tents or camps unless invited, no leaving camp even for the bathroom without telling an adult, stay away from the firepit and the kitchen, etc. Other friends only take their two-year-old camping in a travel trailer with a door that locks :-)
      The biggest expense was the pavilion; that was several thousand dollars, but with care it could easily last us more than 20 years (nylon modern tents rarely make it past 7 or 8) and is much more comfortable to live in for two weeks than a modern tent could be. Other items have either been made or purchased a little at a time over a decade or more. I'm lucky because my husband is not only a Tech Ed teacher, he also sews. So he made our four-poster bed, and our chandelier, and most of our wooden trunks, as well as sewing our bed curtains and canopy.
      Many people in teh SCA sell these items, often cheaper than you might get from a retail merchant, but you are often paying for a lot of hand work. Lots of SCA folk will also barter for items, either by trading an item they've made, or no longer want for what they do want, or even bartering services. I bet you could get a lot by bartering babysitting services! As far as the time, we had a LOT more time to do this stuff before our son came along, which is exactly when we did it. Now that he is older, time is becoming more available again.
      Lancaster, PA