Stefan's Florilegium article for January

  • Stefan li Rous
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 5, 2011
      Greetings to the Gentles of Known World,

      Here is a copy of my Florilegium article for January detailing what is new in the Florilegium this month.

      I am always looking for good articles for the Florilegium. If you have researched a little known subject in our period or you practice a little known art or craft, writing an article is an excellent way to introduce others to the work you've done. I'm especially interested in academic papers written for A&S contests because, unfortunately, few have time at such an event to read them. Even the judges. Getting them published in the Florilegium lets your hard word benefit the entire Known World.

      Have you looked for a topic or an article in the Florilegium and not found it? If so, please let me know and I'll see if I can find and get permission to add such an article or convince someone to write one.

      If you or your local group maintain an SCA or a related website, I would appreciate a link to the Florilegium or any of the sections under it.

      Thank you to all who have taken the time to look at the ads when you visited the Florilegium and picked on one or two. The Florilegium is completely supported by the ads that merchants are willing to run, along with a few donations.

      Lastly, if you have any suggestions, questions, comments or criticisms about the Florilegium, please feel free to email me.

      Thanks,
      Stefan
      -----
      A Blending of the Past and Present

      Over the past twenty-one years in an ongoing effort, I have been collecting bits of useful information from various newsgroups, mail lists and articles submitted to me by their authors. In order to make this information available to others, I have placed this information in a collection of files called Stefan's Florilegium.

      I am always interested in new articles. If you have written an article that would be of interest to others in the SCA, please send it to me for possible inclusion in the Florilegium. A&S documentation and class handouts will also often work out well. I am especially interested in papers submitted as A&S entries.

      The Florilegium now has an RSS feed for those who want an immediate alert when new or updated files are uploaded to the website.

      Advertisements on the site pay for its upkeep. If you enjoy the Florilegium, please click on an ad or two whenever you are there.

      THLord Stefan li Rous Ansteorra stefan at florilegium.org

      Here are the new files for this month:
      In the ACCESSORIES section:
      Liripipe-Hood-art "A Liripipe Hood" by Lady AElfgifu of the Glen
      In the ENTERTAINMENT section:
      Dog-Ball-msg A sport played in standard SCA armor and
      polearms, based on a game in the movie
      "Blood of Heroes".
      In the EQUESTRIAN section:
      Horse-Events-art "SCA Equestrian Events - Everyone is
      Responsible for Success" by Lady Lyonet.
      In the INFO-SOURCES section:
      Aerial-Screw-art "Proving Leonardo's Aerial Screw - A Model of
      Flight" by HL Hucbald ap Urp, JdL.
      In the NEWCOMERS section:
      clothing-4-nc-msg Comments for newcomers on SCA clothing.
      KW-Handbook-msg Comments about the Known World Handbook.

      Here are the updated files for this month.
      bees-msg Period beekeeping.
      chestnuts-msg Medieval harvesting and use of chestnuts.
      Roasting. Recipes.
      cross-dressng-msg Cross-dressing in period.
      favors-msg On the making and giving of favors.
      flowers-msg Period flowers. Growing flowers.
      insect-prtctn-msg Insect repellants and protection.
      p-medicine-msg Period medical practices.
      Spain-msg Medieval Spain. Info. sources.
      spreads-msg Period spreads for bread. recipes.

      Here are a few suggested files for this winter season.
      Candlemas-msg Candlemas celebrations.
      caudls-posets-msg Caudles and Possets. Thickened beverages.
      cloaks-msg Cloaks, cloak pins and clasps.
      cld-weath-cmp-msg Cold weather camping at SCA events.
      Estrella-msg The Estrella War, near Phoenix, AZ.
      Estrella-War-art "Surviving Estrella War" by Mordonna DuBois.
      Mdwntr-AS-Fst-art Midwinter AS feast in South Downs, Meridies.
      sauerkraut-msg Period sauerkraut and pickled cabbage.
      snow-msg "Snow", a white, creamy confection often
      served with wafers.
      Valentnes-Day-msg St. Valentines Day in the Middle Ages.
      Winter-Feast-art A 12th Night Feast served near Hamburg,
      Germany in 2004 by Giano Balestriere.
      ---
      Copyright 2010, Mark S. Harris. Permission to reprint in SCA-related publications is hereby granted if the file descriptions are left unchanged. Removing any of the updated files listed in order to fit the article into limited publication space is allowed. The article introduction may also be edited, provided the web address and contact info are retained.

      <end>
      --------
    • Kathy Fletcher
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 6, 2011
        Hi Stefan,
        I am a newbie and have found the florileqium very helpful!  I start reading then
        all of a sudden, it's hours later!!!!  Thanks!

        Kathy

        From: Stefan li Rous <stefanlirous@...>
        To: Outlands maillist (via Mirhaxa) <mirhaxa@...>; Middlebridge (via
        Ranvaig) <ranvaig@...>; MK Cook's list (via Doc)