Re: [SCA Newcomers] re: What do you do with your toddler? :)

  • Michelle Ann Dunphy
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 4, 2011
      WOW. Thank you. This is all such wonderful information! We're going to be
      starting small since we cannot afford to go crazy at first, so probably no
      overnights for us. I'm very excited. Thank you thank you!

      Michelle
      (no name yet)

      On Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 10:38 PM, Stefan li Rous
      <stefanlirous@...>wrote:

> [...]
      > work as the child gets older and too heavy to carry around. You can use one
      > of the "red flyer" wagons from the store. If you wish you can decorate them
      > to make them a little less modern looking.
      > child-wagons-msg (12K) 8/21/07 Wagons for hauling children at events.
      > http://www.florilegium.org/files/CHILDREN/child-wagons-msg.html
      >
      > I see alot of fighters using the heavy-duty garden wagons for hauling their
      > armor around. Either also works well for hauling ice back to camp and other
      > chores. I've also made and used several wooden wheelbarrows. Quite period
      > and they take up less room than wagons and carts.
      > In the TRAVEL section of the Florilegium:
      > wheelbarrows-msg (8K) 7/14/02 Medieval wheelbarrows.
      > http://www.florilegium.org/files/TRAVEL/wheelbarrows-msg.html
      >

      > <<< Also, what would you recommend for a toddler friendly outfit? Just a
      > tunic? >>>
      >
      > Tunics are good. In period that is what the toddlers wore, a uni-sex tunic.
      > Diapers are not period, so a tunic has advantages. I would not spend a lot
      > of time on children's clothing since they will quickly outgrow it. It is a
      > shame for the child to outgrow the tunic you've been working on before you
      > even finish that fancy embroidery you were working on, on it.
      >
      > These files, again, in the CHILDREN section of the Florilegium might prove
      > to be useful:
      > child-clothes-msg (36K) 1/25/08 Period and SCA children's clothing.
      > http://www.florilegium.org/files/CHILDREN/child-clothes-msg.html
      >
      > Chld-Costumes-art (12K) 9/21/08 "Children's Costumes at SCA Events - a
      > personal testimonial" by Mistress �lfl�d of Duckford.
      > http://www.florilegium.org/files/CHILDREN/Chld-Costumes-art.html
      >
      > Kindergarb-art (12K) 1/12/03 Thoughts on making children's clothing by Lady
      > Hrosvitha von Celle.
      > http://www.florilegium.org/files/CHILDREN/Kindergarb-art.html
      >
      > Here are some other files in this same section you might be interested in.
      > Have you ever been camping with a baby before? If not, I especially
      > recommend this first file. It has a number of precautions to take with
      > infants. The biggest point is that their bodies are still developing the
      > ability to regulate their own heat. So you need to be careful of the heat
      > extremes they are exposed to.
      >
      > babies-msg (118K) 1/14/08 Camping with babies.
      > http://www.florilegium.org/files/CHILDREN/babies-msg.html
      >
      > feedng-tddlrs-msg (10K) 9/28/09 Feeding toddlers at SCA events.
      > http://www.florilegium.org/files/CHILDREN/feedng-tddlrs-msg.html
      >
      > toddlr-tethrs-msg (14K) 4/29/09 Use of tethers/"leading strings" to control
      > toddlers in period and the SCA.
      > http://www.florilegium.org/files/CHILDREN/toddlr-tethrs-msg.html
      >
      > Since you are new to the SCA you might also wish to glance through the
      > NEWCOMERS section in the Florilegium. And then perhaps check out some of the
      > other sections. There are now about 2300 different files on the site.

    • Stefan li Rous
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 5, 2011
        Michelle replied to me with:
        <<< WOW. Thank you. This is all such wonderful information! We're going to be
        starting small since we cannot afford to go crazy at first, so probably no
        overnights for us. I'm very excited. Thank you thank you! >>>

        First, my apologies if I'm overloading you with information. I'm afraid I can do that to folks. If it's too much, just tell me enough for now. You will find all types of folks in the SCA. Some are extroverted, some are quite quiet, some are reserved (me) until you get them talking.

        One of the nice things about the SCA is that it is often easier to talk to people you've not met before. But if you are feeling shy, look around for someone doing something interesting and ask them about it. That might be the guy in the unusual outfit or who seems to be having a lot of fun out on the field. Or that lady doing the interesting needlework. This works at fighter practice as well as at events.

        Be aware that someone that has all those neat clothes and all those accessories or that elaborate set of eating gear may have been putting that stuff together over a number of years. You're not expected to instantly come up with all of that.

        Why do you say no overnights for you? The fact that you have a small child? Lack of camping equipment? Not enough space to haul all that stuff needed for a baby/child along on an overnight trip? No experience camping?

        Some folks come into the SCA with years of experience camping with the Boy Scouts or other groups (me) others don't.

        One of my favorite SCA phrases is "Some people's idea of camping involves a backpack. Mine involves a U-haul truck." Camping in the SCA doesn't have to be backpacking. For me, an SCA overnight, and particularly a week long event, includes a large, medieval style pavilion, sleeping on a four-poster bed, rugs on the floor, chairs and a table and a lantern.

        SCA events differ by region and kingdom. You haven't mentioned where you live. Some kingdoms, like Ansteorra (Texas and Oklahoma) are almost all camping events except some inside events in winter. Some kingdoms often have cabins (Gleann Ahhban, Meriedies, Trimaris, the American southeast. Others don't seem to camp much at all except for the two weeks at Pennsic, (the East). Some don't camp because there just aren't a lot of places to go camping (Caid, southern California).

        Both of your messages have explained "no name yet". I would take some time to figure out a time period and a culture before you worry about a last name. For now you might start thinking about a first name, simply because it makes it easier for folks than learning "Michelle" and then shortly trying to learn your new name.

        These two files in the NEWCOMERS section of the Florilegium might be of use on names.
        Choose-a-Name-art (12K) 10/ 3/09 "Choosing a Society Name: Hints for Newcomers" by Dietmar Reinhart von Straubing and Malachias von Morgenstern.
        http://www.florilegium.org/files/NEWCOMERS/Choose-a-Name-art.html

        names-FAQ (14K) 5/ 8/96 Choosing and registering names in the SCA.
        http://www.florilegium.org/files/NEWCOMERS/names-FAQ.html

        SCA-Personas-art (16K) 6/ 9/01 "On Choosing a Name and a Persona; A Quick and Dirty Guide" by Ld. Daniel Raoul Le Vascon du Navarreí.
        http://www.florilegium.org/files/NEWCOMERS/SCA-Personas-art.html

        Stefan
        --------
      • Kyla
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 5, 2011
          "Some people's idea of camping involves a backpack. Mine involves a U-haul
          truck."
          Ha!
          I like that - may I 'borrow' it?
          Mine involves an RV.
          Seriously - I couldn't camp if I had no access to A/C - too many allergies!

          Tabitha Pennywarden
          Ravenslake, Midlands
          Middle Kingdom

          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 5, 2011
            My favorite is " You know you are in the SCA when your standard of living improves when you go camping"

            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 5, 2011
              Haha, well, thank you. It is a lot of information and I have to admit... I'm
              a bit overwhelmed. I guess I have to say enough for now. I'm afraid that if
              I show my husband how much work this is, he'll change his mind. (Not to say
              he isn't a hard worker, but he's not as interested as I am.)

              While that does sound like an exquisite style of camping, it also sounds
              like a fire hazard with a destructive toddler and horrendously expensive.
              How do you guys do it? Do you always all make your own things? I am crafty,
              but not THAT crafty. I can knit and that's about it. Also, um, where do you
              all find the time??

              I'm in Gylendholt, in Caid. ;)

              Michelle (I am working on the name thing, but my toddler hasn't been very
              cooperative with letting me research)

              On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 12:39 PM, Stefan li Rous
              <stefanlirous@...>wrote:

> [...]
              > to figure out a time period and a culture before you worry about a last
              > name. For now you might start thinking about a first name, simply because it
              > makes it easier for folks than learning "Michelle" and then shortly trying
              > to learn your new name.
              >
              > These two files in the NEWCOMERS section of the Florilegium might be of use
              > on names.
              > Choose-a-Name-art (12K) 10/ 3/09 "Choosing a Society Name: Hints for
              > Newcomers" by Dietmar Reinhart von Straubing and Malachias von Morgenstern.
              > http://www.florilegium.org/files/NEWCOMERS/Choose-a-Name-art.html
              >
              > names-FAQ (14K) 5/ 8/96 Choosing and registering names in the SCA.
              > http://www.florilegium.org/files/NEWCOMERS/names-FAQ.html
              >
              > SCA-Personas-art (16K) 6/ 9/01 "On Choosing a Name and a Persona; A Quick
              > and Dirty Guide" by Ld. Daniel Raoul Le Vascon du Navarre�.

            • Maryelizabeth
              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 5, 2011
                --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Michelle Ann Dunphy <michelle.dunphy@...> wrote:

                I'm afraid that if
                > I show my husband how much work this is, he'll change his mind. (Not to say
                > he isn't a hard worker, but he's not as interested as I am.)

                I used to be a member of the SCA about 7 years ago. It has taken over 5 years for my husband to agree to try the SCA and so far, he is gaining more and more interest as time goes on.

                The way that I have done this was to hide a lot of the work from him. I was not trying to be deceptive but knew that he would become discouraged and overwhelmed quickly due to his disability.

                I make the garb, do the research, and present to him simple questions. For his garb, he looked through my patterns of fashion and also told me what types of clothing styles he found appealing from various movies. (The Tudors was the show that he leaned toward as far as garb.)

                Camping is the one area in the SCA that really has my husband, though. Although I am on the Medieval Encampments list, he spends a lot of time looking at various photos and files in the group to gain more and more ideas. He seems to have really found an interest with getting our "travelling home" together.

                Although I am no where near being an accomplished seamstress nor are either of us expert woodworkers, the simple instructions and diagrams that can be found on the internet have been wonderful and a huge help.

                The best thing that I found was to just let it be and let him find something of interest. The great thing about the SCA is that there are so many different aspects to it that it would be difficult (in my opinion) to be able to say that nothing is of interest.

                There are many ways to cut the costs and many ways to spend way too much, I have found. I try to be frugal as much as possible and so far, we have spent very little for the lare amount of "stuff" that we have accumulated in a short time.

                Hope this helps!

                Maryelizabeth (Apollonia)
              • Lee B
                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 6, 2011
                  Greetings Traci.
                   East Kingdom here. I love this one, I"m going to have to use it.
                  I still don't have a Pavillion, but camping does'nt quite resemble what I did with my folks when i was a kid.  We used to get the whole family and gear in the car! Mine is stuffed to the max and I'm not up to the fancy stuff yet!  :- ) but i love it!
                  Lady Beatrice Lilli
                  NH

                  My favorite is " You know you are in the SCA when your standard of living improves when you go camping"

                  -

                • Stefan li Rous
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 6, 2011
                    Tabitha Pennywarden replied to me with:
                    <<< "Some people's idea of camping involves a backpack. Mine involves a U-haul
                    truck."
                    Ha!
                    I like that - may I 'borrow' it?
                    Mine involves an RV.
                    Seriously - I couldn't camp if I had no access to A/C - too many allergies! >>>

                    Certainly. I heard it from another SCAer. It didn't originate with me.

                    You might find this Florilegium file useful or amusing.
                    SCA-transport-msg (29K) 2/15/10 Typical and unusual SCA vehicles and transportation.
                    http://www.florilegium.org/files/TRAVEL/SCA-transport-msg.html

                    Or if you are the backpacking type, this one:
                    p-backpacks-msg (35K) 9/14/98 Period backpacks, bags and carrying baskets.
                    http://www.florilegium.org/files/TRAVEL/p-backpacks-msg.html

                    Stefan

                    --------
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 6, 2011
                      <<Haha, well, thank you. It is a lot of information and I have to admit... I'm
                      bit overwhelmed. I guess I have to say enough for now. I'm afraid that if
                      show my husband how much work this is, he'll change his mind. (Not to say
                      e isn't a hard worker, but he's not as interested as I am.)>>

                      It doesn't have to be a lot of work unless you want it to be. Lots of people only go to day events, or have a simple modern tent and modern stuff. Those of us who have the elaborate stuff have built it up over years, after taking more years to acquire the desire for it :-)
                      <<While that does sound like an exquisite style of camping, it also sounds
                      ike a fire hazard with a destructive toddler and horrendously expensive.
                      ow do you guys do it? Do you always all make your own things? I am crafty,
                      ut not THAT crafty. I can knit and that's about it. Also, um, where do you
                      ll find the time??>>
                      My son's been camping with us since he was 4 months old. Any flame-powered lighting sources are kept out of his reach, or we use olive oil lamps, which go out if tipped over. We also took two of the Super Playards with us and created a fenced-in area for him that extended slightly out from our pavilion so that he could be inside or outside, but couldn't get out. Once he got older, we still took the playyard, but only put him in it if he refused to stay within the boundaries we set. At nearly 6, he is responsible enough to know where he is and isn't allowed to go - no entering other's tents or camps unless invited, no leaving camp even for the bathroom without telling an adult, stay away from the firepit and the kitchen, etc. Other friends only take their two-year-old camping in a travel trailer with a door that locks :-)
                      The biggest expense was the pavilion; that was several thousand dollars, but with care it could easily last us more than 20 years (nylon modern tents rarely make it past 7 or 8) and is much more comfortable to live in for two weeks than a modern tent could be. Other items have either been made or purchased a little at a time over a decade or more. I'm lucky because my husband is not only a Tech Ed teacher, he also sews. So he made our four-poster bed, and our chandelier, and most of our wooden trunks, as well as sewing our bed curtains and canopy.
                      Many people in teh SCA sell these items, often cheaper than you might get from a retail merchant, but you are often paying for a lot of hand work. Lots of SCA folk will also barter for items, either by trading an item they've made, or no longer want for what they do want, or even bartering services. I bet you could get a lot by bartering babysitting services! As far as the time, we had a LOT more time to do this stuff before our son came along, which is exactly when we did it. Now that he is older, time is becoming more available again.
                      Lancaster, PA