space allotment and tentage

  • Stefan li Rous
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 2, 2011
      Apollonia said:
      <<< As for the tents, I have been keeping space allotments in mind and the tent that we are going to get is a small a-frame tent for my youngest son.>>>

      Really it is only a few big events that have to ration space and even for them it is X amount of square feet per person. Since you've already got a large number in your family you probably won't have a problem. The amount is usually around 200 to 225 sq. ft. per person. I think you said you've generally got five? in your family plus often another? That's 5 x 225 or over a thousand sq. feet. Of course out of that has to come space for fires and their protective space around them, paths, common areas etc. But that's still a lot of tentage and even then if you have to, as you've mentioned, you can simply have to two sons share a tent and thus eliminate one without a problem.

      Having a raised bed, such as a rope or platform bed lets you use a lot of the space under them for storage if space gets too tight in any one tent.

      The space allocation get s a bit more difficult when you have a large pavilion such as I do. It's about 20 x 20 ft including the guy lines.

      Stefan
      --------