Re: [SCA Newcomers] Feast gear question

  • Maryelizabeth
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 1, 2011
      I am hoping to buy both bowls and plates made of wood. I have the oval steak plates now that are out of wood, but realize that they are passibly period at best. I am on a budget so cannot afford the fancy pewter that really caught my eye, but have seen that the wood plates are nice if taken care of.

      --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, D'vorah bint al-Attar <dvorah@...> wrote:

      > On 1 Jan 2011, at 11:41 AM, Maryelizabeth wrote:
      >

      > > Our family is a mix of various time periods and cultures, so I guess a generic set is what I am after. My persona is late 15th/early 16th century Italian, my husband's is working-class tudor, my son Peter, has a landsknecht persona and the youngest, Ben, has a Viking persona.
      > >
      > > If it is more correct for us to have different shaped plates, that is fine, as I found a couple of places where they can be purchased individually for a reasonable price.
      >
      > Part of that will depend on what material is being worked. You can do certain things more easily with wood, certain things more easily with ceramic, certain things more easily with metal, bone, and so on. It'll also depend on the method of construction. Wood and metal workers here can speak to that; as a potter, I can tell you that hand-building dishes are easy enough in any shape, but wheel-throwing makes a round shape more natural to create. Notice, I said more natural -- you can make a square plate or bowl on a pottery wheel, but it'll be round until you manipulate the shape with your hands or tools for shaping once it's off the wheel.
      > -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
      > D'vorah bint al-Attar
      > Master Albrecht Waldfurster's Egg
      > Middle Kingdom, Midlands, Ayreton, Tree-Girt-Sea (Chicago, IL)
      > dvorah@...
      > http://www.consensualreality.net/sca AND
      > Facebook: D'vorah Bint Al-Attar
      > -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

    • Cailin Mac Kinnach
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 1, 2011
        Isn't pewter toxic? And, take this with a grain of salt... I couldn't tell
        you what one single person's feast gear looked like in seven years of
        playing.

        wrote:

        > On 1 Jan 2011, ...
        > dvorah@...

        > http://www.consensualreality.net/sca AND
        > Facebook: D'vorah Bint Al-Attar
      • Sue
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 1, 2011
          if you buy MODERN made pewter it isn't bad for you
          but you should watch what you buy in the thrift stores. If it looks really
          old it might have lead in it.

          (and that is where the handy little habit of people giving pewter mugs for
          prizes and dateing them comes in handy,,snicker)

          Mariassa Ashgrove

          > Isn't pewter toxic? And, take this with a grain of salt... I couldn't tell
          > you what one single person's feast gear looked like in seven years of
          > playing.
          >
          > On Jan 1, 2011 7:19 PM, "Maryelizabeth" <peterbenma@...> wrote:
          >

          > I am hoping to buy both bowls and plates made of wood. I have the oval
          > steak
          > plates now that are out of wood, but realize that they are passibly period
          > at best. I am on a budget so cannot afford the fancy pewter that really
          > caught my eye, but have seen that the wood plates are nice if taken care
          > of.
          >

          > --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, D'vorah bint al-Attar <dvorah@...>
          > wrote:
          >>
          >> On 1 Jan 2011, ...
          >> dvorah@...
          >

          >> http://www.consensualreality.net/sca AND
          >> Facebook: D'vorah Bint Al-Attar

        • Stefan li Rous
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 1, 2011
            Apollonia asked:
            <<< I m wondering which shape for plates is the most period - oval, round, or square.

            We are buying new feast gear and want to get as period as we can with the dishes. >>>

            What time period and region? What material? brass?, pottery?, wood?

            Off the top of my head I think I've seen more round, oval and maybe rectangular in that order. But also remember that for several centuries in the High Middle Ages it was more common to use trenchers (special bread cut in slices or pieces of special bread). I've heard that these often had flat wooden boards/trenchers under them, but you often can't tell.

            These files might be of general help. In the Florilegium UTENSILS section:
            eating-plates-msg (18K) 7/25/09 Period eating plates. Roundels.
            http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-UTENSILS/eating-plates-msg.html

            p-tableware-msg (66K) 12/27/06 Period tableware. Period references
            http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-UTENSILS/p-tableware-msg.html

            For more general information on feastgear for SCA use, in the FEASTS section:
            feastgear-msg (44K) 3/24/08 Obtaining feastgear for use in the SCA.cleaning wooden feastgear.
            http://www.florilegium.org/files/FEASTS/feastgear-msg.html

            Stefan

            --------
          • Bambi TBNL
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 2, 2011
              YOu might also try looking at art from the period you are considering. Many times a "banquet  " scene is implied by painting dishes and food into the background if not near the subject. I actually have found things in thrift shops that I would have never noticed it I hadnt seen something similar in a painting somewhere...sure they are usually cheap decorator items...not even suitable for being near food but then I could carry them around with me to help me find the right piece or even better consult with an SCA artisan to help  maufacture what is appropriate for you.
              That being said, honey in the beginning I just purchased wooden plate , bowls and goblets as I could get from the thriftshops and stuff to tide me over till the right thing came along.
              And actually, going to feasts with that got me a lot of helpful suggestions as to where I could find what I was looking for. Oh, and in the mean time, some nice SCA folk helped me work them out by wood burning my badge into them .
              Bambi (To be named ater) TBNL

              I am made for great things by GOD

              and walk with Pride!!!!

              Walladah bint al Mustakfi c 1100ad