Re: [SCA Newcomers] Grommet Help

  • Dianne Stucki
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 11, 2010
      .

      > Does anyone know a good way to get this job done? I have all the other
      > materials necessary to make the top (fabric, lining, ribbon and 1/8"
      > grommets) but no way to finish the garment now that I've run into this
      > problem.
      >
      > Thanks in advance for your ideas.

      Use hand-sewn eyelets. With a little practice, they are as quick as banging in grommets, last longer, and look far better.

      Laurensa

    • Stefan li Rous
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 13, 2010
        <<< I have to set about 64 grommets (eyelets) and a need a quick and efficient way to do it. I tried a Crop-a-dile (an eyelet setter used, primarily, for scrapbooking. The first tool was jammed and had to go back, the second one distorted the eyelets so they wouldn't hold in the fabric so it went back too. I can't hammer them in - I live in an apartment and would get thrown out if I started banging away for the better part of an afternoon.

        Does anyone know a good way to get this job done? I have all the other materials necessary to make the top (fabric, lining, ribbon and 1/8" grommets) but no way to finish the garment now that I've run into this problem. >>>

        As I'm coming into this discussion late, several good comments have already been made.

        There is this file in the CLOTHING section of the Florilegium that talks about all types of fasteners, including eyelets. Many people do seem to like to use the metal grommets for their wear resistance, but wrap them in thread so that they look like a period lacing hole. This file also covers things like lacing direction. Period lacing was not done the way most modern lacing is done.

        fasteners-msg (69K) 5/31/01 Clothing fasteners, buttons, lacings.
        http://www.florilegium.org/files/CLOTHING/fasteners-msg.html

        Stefan
        --------
      • tzipah_clannahdrakonis
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 25, 2010
          You have perhaps already set your grommets, but may I suggest visiting a friend in a single family dwelling and hammering in your grommets? or perhaps contacting a local craft or leather shop to borrow bench space for an hour?

          > <<< I have to set about 64 grommets (eyelets) and a need a quick and efficient way to do it. I tried a Crop-a-dile (an eyelet setter used, primarily, for scrapbooking. The first tool was jammed and had to go back, the second one distorted the eyelets so they wouldn't hold in the fabric so it went back too. I can't hammer them in - I live in an apartment and would get thrown out if I started banging away for the better part of an afternoon.
          >
          > Does anyone know a good way to get this job done? I have all the other materials necessary to make the top (fabric, lining, ribbon and 1/8" grommets) but no way to finish the garment now that I've run into this problem. >>>
          >
          > As I'm coming into this discussion late, several good comments have already been made.
          >
          > There is this file in the CLOTHING section of the Florilegium that talks about all types of fasteners, including eyelets. Many people do seem to like to use the metal grommets for their wear resistance, but wrap them in thread so that they look like a period lacing hole. This file also covers things like lacing direction. Period lacing was not done the way most modern lacing is done.
          >
          > fasteners-msg (69K) 5/31/01 Clothing fasteners, buttons, lacings.
          > http://www.florilegium.org/files/CLOTHING/fasteners-msg.html
          >
          > Stefan
          > --------

        • Sue
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 26, 2010
            or you find a rather sturdy table or the floor -- put a padding of blanket down and a THICK piece of wood.

            that will cut down on the noise.

            get them all settled in where they need to go and then hammer them all in at once

            Mariassa Ashgrove