RE: [SCA Newcomers] Grommet Help

  • Kyla
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 10, 2010
      Hello Mallory Tremaine,

      There are a number of options:
      Try the period way to finish lacing holes; which would be to hand sew the
      edges of the lacing holes so they don't fray, which does not require either
      grommets or eyelets.
      If you have a sewing machine with buttonhole capability, use that - it's
      closer to period than eyelets anyway - but faster than hand sewing.
      Go to a friend's house, or outside, for the hammering part, done in small
      doses it is possible even at this time of year.
      Use a different closure method, like hook and eye, frogs or buttons.
      (I'm partial to button and loop, myself - lots of room for embellishment and
      comfortable as well.)

      You didn't mention where you are, so I can't help you with finding SCAdians
      near you who might be able to help you with this project.
      I can guess from your list of materials that you may be making something
      like an Elizabethan doublet or bodice, but without the details of which time
      period/region your outfit is supposed to be from, I can't be any more
      specific about what might or might not have been used for closures on a top.
      It sounds like you may be working against a deadline - I'm sorry I can't
      give you any more help than this.

      I wish you happy holidays, and good luck with your project

      Tabitha Pennywarden
      Ravenslake, Midlands (Waukegan, Illinois)
      Middle Kingdom

      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 10, 2010
        I found a grommet setter type thing in the sewing department at walmart a few years back. You might be able to find one in a store which carries sewing supplies and accessories. Although not professional, it works. It looks like a funny pair of pliers and is very easy to use. Sometimes, instead of using the grommets, I use it to punch a hole in teh garment and then hand sew the eyelet.

        I hope this helps you.
      • Dianne Stucki
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 11, 2010
          .

          > Does anyone know a good way to get this job done? I have all the other
          > materials necessary to make the top (fabric, lining, ribbon and 1/8"
          > grommets) but no way to finish the garment now that I've run into this
          > problem.
          >
          > Thanks in advance for your ideas.

          Use hand-sewn eyelets. With a little practice, they are as quick as banging in grommets, last longer, and look far better.

          Laurensa

        • Stefan li Rous
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 13, 2010
            <<< I have to set about 64 grommets (eyelets) and a need a quick and efficient way to do it. I tried a Crop-a-dile (an eyelet setter used, primarily, for scrapbooking. The first tool was jammed and had to go back, the second one distorted the eyelets so they wouldn't hold in the fabric so it went back too. I can't hammer them in - I live in an apartment and would get thrown out if I started banging away for the better part of an afternoon.

            Does anyone know a good way to get this job done? I have all the other materials necessary to make the top (fabric, lining, ribbon and 1/8" grommets) but no way to finish the garment now that I've run into this problem. >>>

            As I'm coming into this discussion late, several good comments have already been made.

            There is this file in the CLOTHING section of the Florilegium that talks about all types of fasteners, including eyelets. Many people do seem to like to use the metal grommets for their wear resistance, but wrap them in thread so that they look like a period lacing hole. This file also covers things like lacing direction. Period lacing was not done the way most modern lacing is done.

            fasteners-msg (69K) 5/31/01 Clothing fasteners, buttons, lacings.
            http://www.florilegium.org/files/CLOTHING/fasteners-msg.html

            Stefan
            --------
          • tzipah_clannahdrakonis
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 25, 2010
              You have perhaps already set your grommets, but may I suggest visiting a friend in a single family dwelling and hammering in your grommets? or perhaps contacting a local craft or leather shop to borrow bench space for an hour?

              > <<< I have to set about 64 grommets (eyelets) and a need a quick and efficient way to do it. I tried a Crop-a-dile (an eyelet setter used, primarily, for scrapbooking. The first tool was jammed and had to go back, the second one distorted the eyelets so they wouldn't hold in the fabric so it went back too. I can't hammer them in - I live in an apartment and would get thrown out if I started banging away for the better part of an afternoon.
              >
              > Does anyone know a good way to get this job done? I have all the other materials necessary to make the top (fabric, lining, ribbon and 1/8" grommets) but no way to finish the garment now that I've run into this problem. >>>
              >
              > As I'm coming into this discussion late, several good comments have already been made.
              >
              > There is this file in the CLOTHING section of the Florilegium that talks about all types of fasteners, including eyelets. Many people do seem to like to use the metal grommets for their wear resistance, but wrap them in thread so that they look like a period lacing hole. This file also covers things like lacing direction. Period lacing was not done the way most modern lacing is done.
              >
              > fasteners-msg (69K) 5/31/01 Clothing fasteners, buttons, lacings.
              > http://www.florilegium.org/files/CLOTHING/fasteners-msg.html
              >
              > Stefan
              > --------

            • Sue
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 26, 2010
                or you find a rather sturdy table or the floor -- put a padding of blanket down and a THICK piece of wood.

                that will cut down on the noise.

                get them all settled in where they need to go and then hammer them all in at once

                Mariassa Ashgrove