Re: [SCA Newcomers] re: We have "recruited" another new SCA member... (longish)

  • Bambi TBNL
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 13, 2010
      Dearest MAryelizabeth
      Often there is not camping @ Ymir but there are bunk houses that one can reserve
      a bed in. I will be there and will be very excited to meet you!!!

      Bambi (To be named ater) TBNL

      I am made for great things by GOD
      and walk with Pride!!!!
      Walladah bint al Mustakfi c 1100ad
      see me dance
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HMtOoXtMs0

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 13, 2010
        Thanks for the heads up on the bunking-in. I look forward to meeting you as well. Having an event so close really helps. (We live an hour from Danville, so its not much further for us to Reidsville.)

        Maryelizabeth Hancock

        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 14, 2010
          Maryelizabeth replied to me with:
          <<< Thank you for the links to the articles in your Florilegum. We have complete tents (poles, ropes, stakes, etc) and are going to paint floor cloths. I have the designs about chosen from the book, "Old English Tile Designs" by Carol Belanger Grafton (ISBN - 0-486-24777-5) >>>

          An interesting idea. I've heard a little about such tiles but never researched it or seen any articles on them. Many of us end of with Middle Eastern type carpet designs because we simply buy the large woven plastic "doggy" mats. You can find them at dog shows and I found mine on sale at a local Asian market. These are made of woven recycled plastic. One of the advantages is that while they get wet, the water seems to seep right through them to the ground.

          There are some files in the Florilegium and elsewhere on painting fabrics which might be good on methods.

          <<< We would like to have an official group that is closer, but are concentrating more on a household. After asking around, it seems the easiest and also the more fun of the options, at least for now. >>>

          Sounds like you were already ahead of me, there. Once the household is big enough or perhaps after another nearby household has formed, you can always then consider starting an official group with these households forming the nucleus of the group. Just try to be inclusive and don't get a household vs. group mentality going for that could destroy both.

          <<< Although we currently have two tents, a fly would be nice, as well as maybe one small a-frame tent in case it is needed for any extra folks we might bring along another time. We are planning right now for and event in February (YMIR) and so far, the sewing is coming along.>>>

          Are there camping events in Ohio in February? Brrrr. Here in Ansteorra, camping events tend to stop in November and not start up again until February or March.

          Short, but just in case it might be of use:
          shade-pavilns-msg (8K) 9/29/08 Shade pavilions for tourney field and camp.
          http://www.florilegium.org/files/DWELLINGS/shade-pavilns-msg.html

          In the STRUCTURES section of the Florilegium. You may have seen it already, though. I think you said you bought your two tents? A fly or shade pavilion should be much easier to sew and figure out the pattern for. There are some files in this same section on choosing the appropriate fabric for tents and sun shades.

          <<< I want to thank you for your Florilegium. I think that your collection is so very helpful and has really given me (as well as my family) a wealth of information not always found so easily on the internet.>>>

          Thank you for letting me know. I've wondered how much use it might still be with all the other stuff on the net now. If people are getting tired to my messages pointing to specific files here, just let me know and I'll cease or cut back. But I like to think that even if the person I'm replying to doesn't need a specific file, someone else on this list might find it of interest.

          Stefan
          --------
        • Maryelizabeth Hancock
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 14, 2010
            We are going to an event that I hadn't planned on going to originally, but due to my son meeting a fellow Scadian and being on the phone countless hours, his begging, pleading, etc... We are attending IB 12th Night with the Barony of Marinus.

            Originally, YMIR, the event in Feb was to be our next, but cupid calls (ROFL). Of course the masked ball at the end of the evening may have been a factor, plus an Italian feast.

            So, needless to say, I am up past my ears in sewing. I have two months to get everything done, which is great since I am getting ready to go to 3rd shift and will need some handwork to help me stay awake.

            Along with the garb, though, I am making a few napkins as I soon discovered that one can't have too many of these. One per person does not seem to have been enough at the last event. I had brought two per person and needed four.

            I already made arrangements to crash at a friend's house, which is a cost saver, plus I get to visit the following day.

            For a day event, other than garb and feast gear, should we need anything else?

            Maryelizabeth Hancock

          • Maryelizabeth Hancock
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 14, 2010
              Greetings!

              The information about the English Tiles book that I mentioned in the last post was given to me on the Medieval Encampments list. They have a wealth of knowledge there for anyone wanting to build a period camp and have tip for beginners and the more experienced Scadians.

              Although I had planned to camp in Feb, I have been told that there are cabins with bunk space, which is nice. (I live in Virginia, although the event will be in NC.)

              After reading about making my own shade, I might just give it a try instead of paying such a high price for a fly. I only need something large enough for us to eat under and socialize under, so it doesn't need to be but so large.

              A plug for the Florilegium files... when looking for info on the net, there are countless numbers of broken links and also links that are to a merchant's site instead of an information site. If one wants to skip over a lot of searching, the files that Master Stefan has is wonderful and way easy to navigate.

              Master Stefan - thank you again for the links about the flooring in tents. The idea of the lip thing is priceless and I would never have known about it without your leading me to it. Thank you so much! Something so simple, yet overlooked. Any who think your files are not important or are boring have obviously not looked at all of it. There are so many neat articles and I look forward to more as they are posted. Even when an article doesn't pertain to an interest, I still read it because I am always open to new things to dive in and try. (With exception to heavy fighting...just not gonna happen.)

              Have a wonderful day!

              Maryelizabeth Hancock

            • jjpjjp123
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 15, 2010
                Just thought you'd like to know, I definitely appreciate your website!

                Kathryn of Kiel

> [...]
                >
                > <<< I want to thank you for your Florilegium. I think that your collection is so very helpful and has really given me (as well as my family) a wealth of information not always found so easily on the internet.>>>
                >
                > Thank you for letting me know. I've wondered how much use it might still be with all the other stuff on the net now. If people are getting tired to my messages pointing to specific files here, just let me know and I'll cease or cut back. But I like to think that even if the person I'm replying to doesn't need a specific file, someone else on this list might find it of interest.

              • Stefan li Rous
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 15, 2010
                  Maryelizabeth said
                  <<< Originally, YMIR, the event in Feb was to be our next, but cupid calls (ROFL) >>>

                  Hmmm. Well, there are files in the Florilegium on *everything*. :-)
                  SCA-romance-msg (40K) 2/13/06 SCA romances and meeting SOs in the SCA.
                  http://www.florilegium.org/files/STORIES/SCA-romance-msg.html

                  romance-today-msg (16K) 9/ 5/10 Romantic ideas from period to use today.
                  http://www.florilegium.org/files/STORIES/romance-today-msg.html

                  <<< For a day event, other than garb and feast gear, should we need anything else? >>>

                  Is the event inside or out? Is lunch being provided as well as a feast for dinner? If not, wills there be (one or more) taverns to get lunch at? If not are there some offsite eating places close by? Or do you need to plan on bringing something for lunch from home? Do you need to bring something to drink throughout the day from home? Or is something provided throughout the day?

                  Even though it is day event, will it last past dark, even simply packing up? If so, you probably need to make sure you put in a flashlight or two. Lanterns are nice but often not worth it for just a little use and may not even be allowed in a hall.

                  Even for a day event you may need to bring your own chairs. If an inside event there may be chairs that come with renting the hall, but maybe not.

                  Money in case you see something you want at a merchant? Not all events have merchants but some do.

                  <<< Although I had planned to camp in Feb, I have been told that there are cabins with bunk space, which is nice. (I live in Virginia, although the event will be in NC.) >>>

                  Very few sites here in Ansteorra have cabins, so I'm not that familiar with them. Although I don't know how far Virginia is from NC, if you can get a reservation, it would mean you wouldn't have to haul all your camping stuff.

                  We have the opposite problem. The outside camping site that my barony has been using for several years is only about 20 minutes from home. So it takes us less time to commute back and forth several times compared to the time of even just setting up the pavilion and mats and bed and everything else. So we haven't been camping at our local events for a number of years.

                  <<< After reading about making my own shade, I might just give it a try instead of paying such a high price for a fly. I only need something large enough for us to eat under and socialize under, so it doesn't need to be but so large.>>>

                  It can also be made with lighter material rather than a heavy canvas, since you aren't depending upon it to keep you dry during the night. If it comes down or you need to drop it because the weather looks bad, you still have tents.

                  <<< A plug for the Florilegium files... when looking for info on the net, there are countless numbers of broken links and also links that are to a merchant's site instead of an information site. If one wants to skip over a lot of searching, the files that Master Stefan has is wonderful and way easy to navigate. >>>

                  Thank you for the compliments! Unfortunately, you will find dead links in the Florilegium. I simply don't have time to test them when editing a message containing them, much less testing all the links that are in the Florilegium, some from years ago.

                  However, if you find a bad link, please email me and I'll add a note and if you can find the actual new link, I'll be happy to add that as well.

                  If the bad link is supposed to connect within the Florilegium, well bad me. Once I know of such a problem, I usually fix it within hours or a day or two. But a bad link that I make can site there for six months until someone notifies me. :-(

                  <<< There are so many neat articles and I look forward to more as they are posted. Even when an article doesn't pertain to an interest, I still read it because I am always open to new things to dive in and try.>>>

                  Yep, I spend much of my time at large events such as Pennsic and Gulf Wars taking classes. I may never get into that particular craft in depth, but I find it interesting to learn about a perhaps try it. Like drop spinning. The thread is supposed to get longer and longer. Unfortunately, mine kept breaking so it got shorter and shorter. Probably bought a spindle too heavy for the fiber I was using. I did take another drop spindle class at our last Candlemas and I did a bit better.

                  For people wanting to know what is new in the Florilegium, there is the monthly article I write which should get posted to all kingdom lists near the first of each month. If you don't see it on your kingdom list, please let me know.

                  I also now offer an RSS feed from the Florilegium where I post a notice after each new or updated file is added to the site.

                  <<< (With exception to heavy fighting...just not gonna happen.) >>>

                  How about rapier combat instead? A lot of women seem more willing to do that than put on heavy armor.

                  Or something close to, but not the fighting such as learning to marshal or act as a waterbearer?
                  waterbearing-art (18K) 3/21/06 "Waterbearing As I See It" by Lady Zubeydah Jamilla al-Badawiyya
                  http://www.florilegium.org/files/SCA-EVENT-PLANNING/waterbearing-art.html

                  waterbearing-msg (76K) 12/10/09 Water and beverage distribution at events.
                  http://www.florilegium.org/files/SCA-EVENT-PLANNING/waterbearing-art.html

                  Stefan
                  who can talk a lot...
                  --------