Re: Hello from a newbie!

  • eudo_the_varangian
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 13, 2010
      Hello Sandra,

      You could get away with a variety of northern European personas with that garb. Here is a link to the whole outfit.

      http://armstreet.com/store/clothes/knyazhna-helga-medieval-flax-linen-dress-coat-and-chemise

      Well met and good day to you!

      Eudo Ulfsson
      Barony of Unser Hafen
      Kingdom of the Outlands

      --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, slarson@... wrote:

      > Hi everyone! My name is Sandra and I live in Central Ohio. I attended my first meeting this past week & can't wait to learn more & become an active part of the group! I'm now researching what area/time frame I'd like to represent to start with. WOW! I did find something that caught my eye, and wondered if anyone could tell me more details about what group it represents.
      >
      > http://newoldstore.com/new-old-store/women/knyazhna-helga-medieval-flax-linen-dress-and-underdress/
      >

      > Any help is appreciated!
      >
      > Sandra in OH

    • Stefan li Rous
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 14, 2010
        Sandra in OH said:
        <<< My name is Sandra and I live in Central Ohio. I attended my first meeting this past week & can't wait to learn more & become an active part of the group! I'm now researching what area/time frame I'd like to represent to start with. WOW! I did find something that caught my eye, and wondered if anyone could tell me more details about what group it represents.

        http://newoldstore.com/new-old-store/women/knyazhna-helga-medieval-flax-linen-dress-and-underdress/ >>>

        First, welcome to the SCA!

        Hopefully others can give you more info on this dress.

        Since you are new, you might wish to look at the NEWCOMERS section in my Florilegium site. The address is http://www.florilegium.org

        There is also a section on CLOTHING that might be useful once you determine the type or culture of this outfit. Also the CULTURES section might give you some more information on the culture or cultures where that outfit might be worn.

        If you are going to be wearing this outfit to outside events where there might be torches, fires or other open flame, then I recommend that you stick to natural fabrics rather than synthetics. Natural fabrics don't tend to melt and stick to your skin if they catch fire. Most of them also "breathe" much better than synthetics.

        Since it is now getting colder, I would also keep in mind over-tunics or cloaks. Here is a file from the CLOTHING section of the Florilegium.
        cloaks-msg (56K) 1/10/08 Cloaks, cloak pins and clasps.
        http://www.florilegium.org/files/CLOTHING/cloaks-msg.html

        AS-Cloaks-art (10K) 5/ 3/02 "An Anglo-Saxon Cloak" by Lady Eowyn "Eo" Swiftlere.
        http://www.florilegium.org/files/CLOTHING/AS-Cloaks-art.html

        Cloaks can be as easy as a blanket pin over a shoulder with a cloak pin or as complex as a multi-layer fitted cloak with a hood.

        Stefan

        --------