Contacting your local group

  • Stefan li Rous
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 4, 2010
      Tracey said:
      <<< My husband and I were hoping to get some more
      information on the SCA and the events, and we're really not much for just
      showing up while we still don't know what's going on. If anyone from
      Cynnabar happens to drop by here, please let your information officer know
      that we're looking for him or her! >>>

      I can understand. However, email reliability has gotten worse over the years because of spam filters and other things, and it never was as reliable as a phone call or meeting in person.

      There are a number of places to get some further information on the SCA before you even contact someone in person if you wish. For instance, you might look through the NEWCOMERS section of the Florilegium website. The address is given in my signature block below. It won't tell you anything about this specific local group, but it will give you some info about the SCA in general. Or feel free to email me.

      To get the information you have found, does that mean you've already located the local group's website? Or perhaps the kingdom website? Either of these should give you one or more telephone numbers of folks to contact. Even if the number isn't for the Chatalaine or the Hospitialer, you can still give them a call. Those two funny words are just the SCA officer names for the person in charge of helping newcomers. Same position, but a different title in different kingdoms.

      However, this is just the official representative. I'm sure that anyone else you can reach will be willing to help you or point you to someone who can. The members in the SCA are often like that. It is one of the things that binds the members of this group together besides an interest in various things medieval.

      If an actual event is too much to just show up for, there are often many happenings locally, during the week and sometimes on the weekends, that are more informal and some you can come and go to, so you need not feel committed to stay if you don't like it.

      For instance many groups hold local fighter practices. These are often social gatherings as well as for those practicing armored or rapier combat. Ours our held outside at a local park, so folks can easily come by, watch what is going on and either step up and say hello or ask questions or leave.

      Often there are local business meetings. Our group's are in regular clothes since many people come directly from work. Or there may be a local informal gathering like an herbal guild, or one for singers or one for people working on armor or for brewers. These are often a very good place to meet folks who at an event may have responsibilities and be scurrying around for that and not have time to sit and talk.

      I hope that gives you some other ideas besides just sending a note to a blind email address.

      Oh yes, I joined the SCA over 20 years ago, before email existed. But the problem isn't new. I went with some friends to the Texas Renaissance Fair near Houston. While there I signed a list at the SCA booth giving my contact info. However, by the time it finally wound its way through channels and someone called me about the SCA, I had already been playing with my local group for a month or two, and I might have even been a paid member by then. Some of the friends I'd gone with were sometime SCA folks and they told me where the local fighter practice happened.

      Stefan
      --------
    • Pat West
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 7, 2010
        Hello Newcomer

        My name is Lady Amyon(Pat). I am the Chatelaine for the Barony of
        Cynnabar. My email is chatelaine@...

        Stefan has given you some great information.

        The website for our group is www.cynnabar.org. There you will find info on
        events, workshops and meetings.

        On Sunday, we have fight practice from 12p-4p. Check the calendar on the
        website main page for location.

        On Mondays, we have workshop/meetings from 7p-9p. Check the website for
        details and location.

        Our next event is our annual Grand Tourney. This year it is on Sat, Nov 20,
        2010 in Livonia. We have a special page that list all the information you
        need to know.

        All are welcome.

        Please feel free to contact me anytime.

        Welcome to the Barony of Cynnabar.