fabric color

  • Phoebe Gleeson
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 27, 2010
      I have some red wool gabardine that I think would be perfect for garb.
      How can I tell if the red is a period red?

      Am I overthinking this?
      --
      Phoebe, mother of a half-dozen
      http://feebeeglee.blogspot.com

      "In this life we cannot do great things. We can only do small things
      with great love."
      -Mother Teresa
    • Nicole E. Miller
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 28, 2010
        Yep, you are over thinking it. The hue and deepness of fabric dies varied all over the place. Things that started out a deep dark red could end up almost hot pink after years of washing. Now if you wanted to be very location/time period specific, certain areas might either favor a certain variance or would be limited by what dying agents were available, but for the most part the reds were all over the place during the SCA covered period.

        Hope this helps,
        Sian
        ---- Phoebe Gleeson <feebeeglee@...> wrote:

        =============
        I have some red wool gabardine that I think would be perfect for garb.
        How can I tell if the red is a period red?

        Am I overthinking this?
        --
        Phoebe, mother of a half-dozen
        http://feebeeglee.blogspot.com

        "In this life we cannot do great things. We can only do small things
        with great love."
        -Mother Teresa
      • Stefan li Rous
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 28, 2010
          Phoebe asked:
          <<< I have some red wool gabardine that I think would be perfect for garb.
          How can I tell if the red is a period red?

          Am I overthinking this? >>>

          Yes, I think you may be over-thinking this. Most colors can be achieved with natural dyes, although some are more difficult than others. It is also rather difficult to describe shades in a print-only media. Even in a media with colors, you have to be concerned about how well the colors and shades are reproduced. Look up some of the surprises that have come in some of the oil paintings and mural restorations in the past 25 years, for example. Folks talk about how bright the colors in these period are, once they've been cleaned of accumulated dirt.

          The biggest trick when dyeing with natural dyes seems to be in able to reproducing the same color consistently or to keep the color from fading out over time. The one sure thing to avoid would be today's fluorescent colors. I have seen a wide range of colors come from the dyers in the SCA and I continue to hear expressions like "I didn't know you could do THAT, with natural dyes".

          There are a number of files on dyeing in the TEXTILE-ARTS section of the Florilegium that might be of interest but they aren't going to say which shades are or are not period, because I don't think that exists. Certain colors are easier and cheaper to get with natural dyes than others, but it looks like most colors are achievable. This is why, in general, you will see that the peasants are dressed in greens, browns and grays, while the nobility is dressed in brighter colors such as blues, reds and such. The "natural" colors are easier to obtain naturally with no, or with simpler dyes.

          color-a-fab-bib (11K) 9/17/98 Biblio. from a class on color and fabrics.
          http://www.florilegium.org/files/TEXTILES/color-a-fab-bib.html

          dyeing-msg (176K) 12/30/04 Dyeing techniques and discussion.
          http://www.florilegium.org/files/TEXTILES/dyeing-msg.html

          dye-list-art (9K) 2/28/00 A list of period plant dyes by Moriel.
          http://www.florilegium.org/files/TEXTILES/dye-list-art.html

          So, I'd worry more about the look and draping of the fabric than the shade of the fabric.

          Stefan
          --------
        • Phoebe Gleeson
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 28, 2010
            Thank you both so much. Stefan, I really appreciate the Florilegium
            itself and also your kindly librarian approach on this list. I had
            given a cursory look but had missed most of those files.

            I feel confident now to Go Ahead With The Red! It's a good thing, too,
            because I have like 12 yards of the stuff.