12th Century info

  • Stefan li Rous
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 13, 2010
      Dave H. said:
      <<< The persona I am building is called "Annain the Graye". Annain is the original ancient form of my surname though it is rarely known (it is believed to go back to about 800 AD).

      My persona is Hiberno/Norman of the late 12th century. He is originally from Chester, England, and was a levied archer in the Anglo-Norman army in the Second Crusade. After retiring from the war he set up shop as a leatherworker, specifically a "bottel" maker. He eventually acquired the nickname of "the Graye Fox" and uses a fox as a personal badge.

      In 1169 in his mid-forties he sought a new life and accepted King Henry II's appeal for settlers to join Lord Richard "Strongbow" de Clare's invasion of Ireland, and settled in Wexford to start his new life. >>>

      Since your persona is in the 12th century, you might find the bibliographies in THE-12TH-CENTURY section of the Florilegium.

      You might also find some of the files on leather and leatherwork in the CRAFTS section interesting, even if you are already a leather craftsman.

      I haven't tried to divide my info into Irish and Anglo-Irish sections, but these files might be of use:
      Ireland-lnks (20K) 12/25/03 Web links to medieval Ireland by Dame Aoife Finn of Ynos Mon.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/CULTURES/Ireland-lnks.html

      Ireland-msg (76K) 1/10/10 Irish culture, dress. Points of interest.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/CULTURES/Ireland-msg.html

      Stefan

      --------