re: cloak

  • Stefan li Rous
    Message 1 of 19 , Oct 11, 2010
      Jon asked:
      <<< Can anyone suggest a pattern for a robe similar to the plain brown jedi type see in StarWars? I don't know which period this might be closest to but Im looking for something similar for my son. >>>

      I'm not sure if this style is in any way medieval or not. However, you might want to look at these files in the CLOTHING section of the Florilegium:
      AS-Cloaks-art (10K) 5/ 3/02 "An Anglo-Saxon Cloak" by Lady Eowyn "Eo" Swiftlere.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/CLOTHING/AS-Cloaks-art.html

      cloaks-msg (56K) 1/10/08 Cloaks, cloak pins and clasps.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/CLOTHING/cloaks-msg.html

      While not necessarily talking about cloaks, some folks might also find this file of use:
      raingear-msg (61K) 2/15/10 Period raingear. waterproofing cloth.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/CLOTHING/raingear-msg.html

      If you've not been to the Florilegium, the address is in my signature line below.

      Stefan
      --------
    • JonH
      Message 2 of 19 , Oct 12, 2010
        Thank you. Can you suggest where I could find a pattern for one?
        Jon

        --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Logan Jacobson <razhneh@...> wrote:

        > the closest i can find would be a monk robe, they are greatly similar with
        > little variation. i wish i could help more.

      • JonH
        Message 3 of 19 , Oct 12, 2010
          Maybe I'm searching it wrong but I can't find a single pattern nor even a picture of a cloak on Florilegium. Is there a section with pictures for beginners or archive of patterns like they have on Armor Archives?
          Jon

          However, you might want to look at these files in the CLOTHING section of the Florilegium:
          > AS-Cloaks-art (10K) 5/ 3/02 "An Anglo-Saxon Cloak" by Lady Eowyn "Eo" Swiftlere.
        • Kyla
          Message 4 of 19 , Oct 12, 2010
            Greetings Jon,

            What kind of armour do you make?
            I make some cold worked steel and leather armour myself, and I find that
            constructing clothing and constructing armour are not that different, as
            long as you understand what your construction material can and can't do.
            I usually make my own patterns, based on period paintings and other people's
            research - that way the garment or armour fits me better.

            A brief look through my personal archives turns up a couple of pattern
            companies, and a few other sites that include cloaks and robes.
            I haven't looked at the cloaks on these sites myself, but period cloaks and
            robes all have a very similar construction style, with details of cut,
            material and trim being what defines them as being from a particular time or
            region.

            I think you may be looking for something like this:
            http://www.folkwear.com/patternindex.html

            or maybe this:
            http://www.feoragdubh.eastkingdom.org/GarbWorkshops.php
            scroll down to cloak specific info.

            While I'm at it, here are some other sites that might be useful.
            http://www.personal.utulsa.edu/~marc-carlson/cloth/bockhome.html

            http://stores.renstore.com/StoreFront.bok

            http://www.reconstructinghistory.com/beginners.php?c=22&d=29&w=24&r=Y

            I hope some of these links will help.
            I'm sorry that garb, in general, is not as organized as the Armour Archive,
            but it is a much larger subject.

            Tabitha Pennywarden, who really appreciates people who do research!

            Message 5 of 19 , Oct 13, 2010
              <<< Maybe I'm searching it wrong but I can't find a single pattern nor even a picture of a cloak on Florilegium. Is there a section with pictures for beginners or archive of patterns like they have on Armor Archives?
              Jon

              However, you might want to look at these files in the CLOTHING section of the Florilegium:
              > AS-Cloaks-art (10K) 5/ 3/02 "An Anglo-Saxon Cloak" by Lady Eowyn "Eo" Swiftlere. >>>

              Okay, I hadn't read the file in a while. I see that it describes a much simpler and easier cloak to make, little or no cutting or sewing. But it doesn't match the cloak you were looking for.

              The other file, being a collection of messages off of various newsgroups and mail lists, doesn't have any patterns or diagrams because those aren't allowed in most groups. I was hoping that some of the books referenced or the, sometimes, patterns and pattern sources mentioned might be of use to you.

              Everything is organized in the files and sections that you found.

              This file in the CLOTHING section does have reviews of various mundane patterns. I know there is one for cloaks, since that is what my mother used when she sewed mine and my wife's. However, if I saw a message on that pattern it is likely in the cloaks-msg file and not in this file. But it might be worth a look.

              patterns-msg (115K) 4/19/10 Sources for clothing patterns. Altering mundane patterns.
              http://www.florilegium.org/files/CLOTHING/patterns-msg.html

              For future reference, although it won't help in this case, there is a search engine on the top page of the Florilegium that is useful in searching the entire site. This is especially good for items that I don't have enough information on to create a file for, but which are in part of other files.

              Stefan

              --------