RE: [SCA Newcomers] Sewing for our first event... 2 teens and 3 adults

  • Bambi TBNL
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 8, 2010
      Ohmy dear ! You are to be commended on your efforts for your first event!a lot of people use the loaner closet for their first an here you are palaning to?camp andhave weather geee. Honey some fplka are in nd atte nding regularly beore rheyare ever that far along. VIVAT!!!
      >OUT ADREESSING THE QUEEN. Cutrsying or bowingis standard when ever they pass even if it is outsode of court. The current rulers are youe masty while rhe prince and princess are you royal highness. In a pinch, you can never go wrong with' your gracw" which , alhoug applied to baron dukes and sofforth, is accepted as a generic term of respect.
      as far as fancy enough for court.it is a cmping evenr honwy.wear what works maybe with cloaks smd hats or hoods for warmth and worry about fancy for the twlfth night calebration. At some point you will have enough pices to work for every event for both the weather and event theme, after your childrens grwoth spurts have leveled off to only needeing all neq stuff every other event. Been there done that.(at one point she outgrew the garment in less than 6 weeks.) if you can learn to make growthtucks work use em. I think you asnd your lovely family wwith sll you enrhusiasm and energy will be a wonderfuk addition to the SCA family. I so wish i lived qhere i ccould meet tou!-----Original Message-----
      Date: Friday, October 08, 2010 7:15:11 pm
      To: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com
      From: "Maryelizabeth" <peterbenma@...>
      Subject: [SCA Newcomers] Sewing for our first event... 2 teens and 3 adults

      I have about 2 weeks to go before we go to our first event. We are attending the Medieval Haunting in Atlantia. So far, I have one full outfit for my youngest (14 yo) done, as he likes Viking. Has anyone noticed how few resources there are online for men's garb past the tunics and trousers? It has been very difficult to locate information.

      I did find a two places, and only two, that has been a help. For my husband, I am making a loose Jerkin from a shirt of his that I cut up (used as a pattern) and am hoping that after this is finished, I can figure out how to alter it for my 15 yo into a pattern for a Lansknecht type jerkin.

      Depending on time, though, the landsknecht kid might have to go viking.

      As it is going to be chilly, we have opted for all of us to sleep in the same tent. I figured that it makes moving cots together and bundling up a bit easier.

      We also have talked a friend into going with us to "check out" the SCA. I really hope he likes it so that my hubby has a buddy while I am lost in the A&S stuff.

      Since the Queen will be there, what would be the "proper" attire? Should we have fancy garb for court? Also, what is the proper way to address her if she (the queen) addresses us? I know to call her "Your Majesty", but do we courtsey/bow, nod our heads, etc.?

      I realize that our garb is not fancy and may not be exactly period, although I think it will not stick out too bad, but don't want any of us to seem totally foolish, either.

      Thank you!

      Maryelizabeth
    • Stefan li Rous
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 9, 2010
        Maryelizabeth asked:
        <<<I have about 2 weeks to go before we go to our first event. We are attending the Medieval Haunting in Atlantia. So far, I have one full outfit for my youngest (14 yo) done, as he likes Viking. Has anyone noticed how few resources there are online for men's garb past the tunics and trousers? It has been very difficult to locate information. >>>

        First, welcome to the SCA!

        I am rather surprised to see you make this comment about the Vikings. I find information on this culture to be rather common, both inside and outside the SCA. Finding info on the post-Viking Norse on the otherhand can be much more difficult. If you looked at only the folks in the SCA you'd think that all the Norse pretty much died off when the Viking era was over!

        With a bit of bias, since it is my own site, I would recommend taking a look at the Florilegium. You can find the address for this website in my signature line below.

        In the CLOTHING section check this file:
        cl-Norse-msg (12K) 11/28/08 Clothing of the Norse. Viking clothing.
        http://www.florilegium.org/files/CLOTHING/cl-Norse-msg.html

        Also check out the NORSE section.

        <<< For my husband, I am making a loose Jerkin from a shirt of his that I cut up (used as a pattern) and am hoping that after this is finished, I can figure out how to alter it for my 15 yo into a pattern for a Lansknecht type jerkin. >>>

        Lansknecht can be more difficult outfits to make, however it sounds like you have some experience sewing which is a big help. Perhaps this file in the CLOTHING section might also be of help:
        patterns-msg (115K) 4/19/10 Sources for clothing patterns. Altering mundane patterns.
        http://www.florilegium.org/files/CLOTHING/patterns-msg.html

        <<< Depending on time, though, the landsknecht kid might have to go viking. >>>
        Here is a little info on the Landsknechts in the CULTURES section:
        Landsknechts-bib (12K) 3/ 3/03 A bibliography on German mercenary soldiers by Master Magnus Malleus.
        http://www.florilegium.org/files/CULTURES/Landsknechts-bib.html

        Landsknechts-msg (12K) 4/10/05 German mercenaries of the 16th Century.
        http://www.florilegium.org/files/CULTURES/Landsknechts-msg.html

        <<< As it is going to be chilly, we have opted for all of us to sleep in the same tent. I figured that it makes moving cots together and bundling up a bit easier. >>>

        You might wish to check out the files in the SCA-CAMPING section and particularly at this file:
        cld-weath-cmp-msg (33K) 8/17/10 Cold weather camping at SCA events.
        http://www.florilegium.org/files/CAMPING/cld-weath-cmp-msg.html

        <<< We also have talked a friend into going with us to "check out" the SCA. I really hope he likes it so that my hubby has a buddy while I am lost in the A&S stuff. >>>

        You and he might both be interested in some of the info in the NEWCOMERS section.

        <<< Since the Queen will be there, what would be the "proper" attire? Should we have fancy garb for court? Also, what is the proper way to address her if she (the queen) addresses us? I know to call her "Your Majesty", but do we courtsey/bow, nod our heads, etc.? >>>

        There are some files in the NEWCOMERS section that help explain some of these courtesies in the SCA, such as:
        courtesy-msg (32K) 1/19/96 Courtesy guidelines in the SCA and period. Hand-kissing and bowing.
        http://www.florilegium.org/files/NEWCOMERS/courtesy-msg.html

        How-to-Behave-art (12K) 6/10/01 "How to Behave in these Current Middle Ages" by Lady Meliora Leuedai de Ardescote.
        http://www.florilegium.org/files/NEWCOMERS/How-to-Behave-art.html

        You mention being concerned about addressing the Queen. This chance may or may not happen, depending upon the size of the event and what the Queen is doing. "Your Majesty" works fine. There are different addresses for different folks in the SCA. However, if you don't know someone's rank or can't figure it out, "My Lord" or "My Lady" should be perfectly acceptable. The SCA is based on courtesy. If someone gets upset because a newcomer (or actually anyone) doesn't address them by the 'proper' title, then it is quite likely that they don't deserve that title or are having a very bad day.

        For some info on Court, perhaps this file in the NEWCOMERS section may be of use:
        SCA-courts-nc-msg (21K) 5/30/01 Comments and about SCA Courts for newcomers.
        http://www.florilegium.org/files/NEWCOMERS/SCA-courts-nc-msg.html

        <<< I realize that our garb is not fancy and may not be exactly period, although I think it will not stick out too bad, but don't want any of us to seem totally foolish, either. >>>

        Don't worry overly so about it, especially as a newcomer. The actual requirement is rather loose, "make an attempt at wearing period clothing" or some such. Start off with what you can and improve it as time goes on. This goes for clothing, tentage, furniture etc.

        <<< Thank you!

        Maryelizabeth >>>

        Certainly. If you have any specific questions please ask here or email me. My email is below and can also be found on my website. I'm assuming that "Maryelizabeth" is your regular name, since I don't believe compound names like this were used in period. So you might be wanting to think of what SCA or persona name you might wish to go by. This file in the NEWCOMERS section will give you a better idea for this:
        Choose-a-Name-art (12K) 10/ 3/09 "Choosing a Society Name: Hints for Newcomers" by Dietmar Reinhart von Straubing and
        Malachias von Morgenstern.
        http://www.florilegium.org/files/NEWCOMERS/Choose-a-Name-art.html

        I hope this helps.
        Stefan