Sewing for our first event... 2 teens and 3 adults

  • Maryelizabeth
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 8, 2010
      I have about 2 weeks to go before we go to our first event. We are attending the Medieval Haunting in Atlantia. So far, I have one full outfit for my youngest (14 yo) done, as he likes Viking. Has anyone noticed how few resources there are online for men's garb past the tunics and trousers? It has been very difficult to locate information.

      I did find a two places, and only two, that has been a help. For my husband, I am making a loose Jerkin from a shirt of his that I cut up (used as a pattern) and am hoping that after this is finished, I can figure out how to alter it for my 15 yo into a pattern for a Lansknecht type jerkin.

      Depending on time, though, the landsknecht kid might have to go viking.

      As it is going to be chilly, we have opted for all of us to sleep in the same tent. I figured that it makes moving cots together and bundling up a bit easier.

      We also have talked a friend into going with us to "check out" the SCA. I really hope he likes it so that my hubby has a buddy while I am lost in the A&S stuff.

      Since the Queen will be there, what would be the "proper" attire? Should we have fancy garb for court? Also, what is the proper way to address her if she (the queen) addresses us? I know to call her "Your Majesty", but do we courtsey/bow, nod our heads, etc.?

      I realize that our garb is not fancy and may not be exactly period, although I think it will not stick out too bad, but don't want any of us to seem totally foolish, either.

      Thank you!

      Maryelizabeth
    • Roary Aka Alric Berard
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 8, 2010
        First off relax and don't worry about the garb. You do the best that you can.
        Yes there are people commonly called "garb nazis" but don't worry. Everyone has
        been where you are going to your first event.

        Get garb that is at least period looking and as time goes on you start getting
        more grab and focusing on period correctness. When I started I was wearing the
        cloths I wore when I worked the local Renaissance festival and that included a
        paisley poet shirt, velvet tights with laces on the side, etc.

        Now years later I have my Anglo Saxon garb (mainly tunics and pants) and some
        what I call courtly garb more Tudor.

        As for court garb. It all depends on who you are and how much you stick to your
        persona. For me it is a matter of what do I feel like wearing. I have some Tudor
        that is more courtly and I do wear it but mostly during winter and cold weather
        events. During warm weather events I am a tunic guy and some of my tunics are
        nice and some well lets say they have been worn. At my last event which was a
        coronation at a foreign kingdom I wore a plain yellow medium weight linen under
        tunic and Black handkerchief linen over tunic with some fancy trim. But for my
        Baronial Brithday event which was a royal progress and where we got a new Baron
        and Baroness. I was wearing a simple everyday tunic. Nothing fancy. I felt like
        a jeans day or the SCA equivalent.

        So again wear what you got, what you feel comfortable in, and most importantly
        what you want to wear. In the future (if you want) you can invest in some fancy
        court garb.

        As for your final question (unless I missed one) bow, nod your head, or curtsy.
        I work with this premise if I am in the ground and they are walking by I bow my
        head in respect. If I am in front dealing with them face to face. I tend to bow
        or go on one knee. But these days I have problems getting back up so I typically
        bow. Nod if in the crowd bow or curtsy when face to face. But again you don't
        have to get it right the first time you are able to make mistakes and people
        will understand.

        The key is wear what you can at least you are trying.

        Enjoy your 1st event.

        From a fellow Atlantian
        Alric

        Suus excellentia Judith's miles militis in rutilus loricatus iam quod
        usquequaque

        "Sell a country! Why not sell the air, the great sea, as well as the earth?
        Didn't the Great Spirit make them all for the use of his children?"
        Tecumseh (Shawnee)

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 8, 2010
          Ohmy dear ! You are to be commended on your efforts for your first event!a lot of people use the loaner closet for their first an here you are palaning to?camp andhave weather geee. Honey some fplka are in nd atte nding regularly beore rheyare ever that far along. VIVAT!!!
          >OUT ADREESSING THE QUEEN. Cutrsying or bowingis standard when ever they pass even if it is outsode of court. The current rulers are youe masty while rhe prince and princess are you royal highness. In a pinch, you can never go wrong with' your gracw" which , alhoug applied to baron dukes and sofforth, is accepted as a generic term of respect.
          as far as fancy enough for court.it is a cmping evenr honwy.wear what works maybe with cloaks smd hats or hoods for warmth and worry about fancy for the twlfth night calebration. At some point you will have enough pices to work for every event for both the weather and event theme, after your childrens grwoth spurts have leveled off to only needeing all neq stuff every other event. Been there done that.(at one point she outgrew the garment in less than 6 weeks.) if you can learn to make growthtucks work use em. I think you asnd your lovely family wwith sll you enrhusiasm and energy will be a wonderfuk addition to the SCA family. I so wish i lived qhere i ccould meet tou!-----Original Message-----
          Date: Friday, October 08, 2010 7:15:11 pm
          To: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com
          From: "Maryelizabeth" <peterbenma@...>

[...]

        • Stefan li Rous
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 9, 2010
            Maryelizabeth asked:
            <<<I have about 2 weeks to go before we go to our first event. We are attending the Medieval Haunting in Atlantia. So far, I have one full outfit for my youngest (14 yo) done, as he likes Viking. Has anyone noticed how few resources there are online for men's garb past the tunics and trousers? It has been very difficult to locate information. >>>

            First, welcome to the SCA!

            I am rather surprised to see you make this comment about the Vikings. I find information on this culture to be rather common, both inside and outside the SCA. Finding info on the post-Viking Norse on the otherhand can be much more difficult. If you looked at only the folks in the SCA you'd think that all the Norse pretty much died off when the Viking era was over!

            With a bit of bias, since it is my own site, I would recommend taking a look at the Florilegium. You can find the address for this website in my signature line below.

            In the CLOTHING section check this file:
            cl-Norse-msg (12K) 11/28/08 Clothing of the Norse. Viking clothing.
            http://www.florilegium.org/files/CLOTHING/cl-Norse-msg.html

            Also check out the NORSE section.

            <<< For my husband, I am making a loose Jerkin from a shirt of his that I cut up (used as a pattern) and am hoping that after this is finished, I can figure out how to alter it for my 15 yo into a pattern for a Lansknecht type jerkin. >>>

            Lansknecht can be more difficult outfits to make, however it sounds like you have some experience sewing which is a big help. Perhaps this file in the CLOTHING section might also be of help:
            patterns-msg (115K) 4/19/10 Sources for clothing patterns. Altering mundane patterns.
            http://www.florilegium.org/files/CLOTHING/patterns-msg.html

            <<< Depending on time, though, the landsknecht kid might have to go viking. >>>
            Here is a little info on the Landsknechts in the CULTURES section:
            Landsknechts-bib (12K) 3/ 3/03 A bibliography on German mercenary soldiers by Master Magnus Malleus.
            http://www.florilegium.org/files/CULTURES/Landsknechts-bib.html

            Landsknechts-msg (12K) 4/10/05 German mercenaries of the 16th Century.
            http://www.florilegium.org/files/CULTURES/Landsknechts-msg.html

            <<< As it is going to be chilly, we have opted for all of us to sleep in the same tent. I figured that it makes moving cots together and bundling up a bit easier. >>>

            You might wish to check out the files in the SCA-CAMPING section and particularly at this file:
            cld-weath-cmp-msg (33K) 8/17/10 Cold weather camping at SCA events.
            http://www.florilegium.org/files/CAMPING/cld-weath-cmp-msg.html

            <<< We also have talked a friend into going with us to "check out" the SCA. I really hope he likes it so that my hubby has a buddy while I am lost in the A&S stuff. >>>

            You and he might both be interested in some of the info in the NEWCOMERS section.

            <<< Since the Queen will be there, what would be the "proper" attire? Should we have fancy garb for court? Also, what is the proper way to address her if she (the queen) addresses us? I know to call her "Your Majesty", but do we courtsey/bow, nod our heads, etc.? >>>

            There are some files in the NEWCOMERS section that help explain some of these courtesies in the SCA, such as:
            courtesy-msg (32K) 1/19/96 Courtesy guidelines in the SCA and period. Hand-kissing and bowing.
            http://www.florilegium.org/files/NEWCOMERS/courtesy-msg.html

            How-to-Behave-art (12K) 6/10/01 "How to Behave in these Current Middle Ages" by Lady Meliora Leuedai de Ardescote.
            http://www.florilegium.org/files/NEWCOMERS/How-to-Behave-art.html

            You mention being concerned about addressing the Queen. This chance may or may not happen, depending upon the size of the event and what the Queen is doing. "Your Majesty" works fine. There are different addresses for different folks in the SCA. However, if you don't know someone's rank or can't figure it out, "My Lord" or "My Lady" should be perfectly acceptable. The SCA is based on courtesy. If someone gets upset because a newcomer (or actually anyone) doesn't address them by the 'proper' title, then it is quite likely that they don't deserve that title or are having a very bad day.

            For some info on Court, perhaps this file in the NEWCOMERS section may be of use:
            SCA-courts-nc-msg (21K) 5/30/01 Comments and about SCA Courts for newcomers.
            http://www.florilegium.org/files/NEWCOMERS/SCA-courts-nc-msg.html

            <<< I realize that our garb is not fancy and may not be exactly period, although I think it will not stick out too bad, but don't want any of us to seem totally foolish, either. >>>

            Don't worry overly so about it, especially as a newcomer. The actual requirement is rather loose, "make an attempt at wearing period clothing" or some such. Start off with what you can and improve it as time goes on. This goes for clothing, tentage, furniture etc.

            <<< Thank you!

            Maryelizabeth >>>

            Certainly. If you have any specific questions please ask here or email me. My email is below and can also be found on my website. I'm assuming that "Maryelizabeth" is your regular name, since I don't believe compound names like this were used in period. So you might be wanting to think of what SCA or persona name you might wish to go by. This file in the NEWCOMERS section will give you a better idea for this:
            Choose-a-Name-art (12K) 10/ 3/09 "Choosing a Society Name: Hints for Newcomers" by Dietmar Reinhart von Straubing and
            Malachias von Morgenstern.
            http://www.florilegium.org/files/NEWCOMERS/Choose-a-Name-art.html

            I hope this helps.
            Stefan