Cold weather camping

  • Stefan li Rous
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 30, 2010
      In the last few weeks there was some discussion with suggestions on how to survive and enjoy camping in cooler weather.

      While cooler weather here in Ansteorra lately has meant that is now getting down to 70 or 80 degrees, in some parts of the Known World it may already be cooler than this and soon may get even colder!

      I've heard that in some places, there is this stuff called "snow" which falls from the sky.

      snow-msg (25K) 2/15/10 "Snow", a white, creamy confection often served with wafers.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-SWEETS/snow-msg.html
      (oh, my lady wife just told me that this isn't the stuff that falls from the sky....)

      Anyway, last week I uploaded the latest version of this file to the SCA-CAMPING section of the Florilegium and I thought some of you might find it useful.
      cld-weath-cmp-msg (33K) 8/17/10 Cold weather camping at SCA events.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/CAMPING/cld-weath-cmp-msg.html

      Some of you might also be interested in this file in the ENTERTAINMENT section, especially those that get some of this ...snow...that falls onto the ground and stays there.
      wintr-sports-lnks (6K) 12/ 8/05 Links to info on medieval winter sports by Dame Aoife Finn of Ynos Mon.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/ENTERTAINMENT/wintr-sports-lnks.html

      Stefan
      who might actually have to start wearing long pants again
      --------
    • Bambi TBNL

        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 1, 2010
          That's pretty much it, when it comes to cold weather camping. Layers and friends you can get snuggly with. Also, if you keep your head covered, it does wonders.

          > Many annos ago i was privilaged to travel to the early spring event known as gulfwars witha van load of friends. There was one period pavillion and o mundane fild pimples. The very first night we rialized we had underestimated how low the temp could drop o how quickly. The womane did several things to compensaye. 1 We all our of us got all our garb out and layered it on.2we all went to sleep in one little mundae tent and 3 we zipped all ou sleeping bags together. It did help thouh we awoke to dins our combined breath had caused stlagties to form on the cieling.
          > -----Original Message-----i
          > Date: Friday, October 01, 2010 2:05:28 am
          > To: "SCA Newcomers list" <scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com>
          > From: "Stefan li Rous" <stefanlirous@...>
          > Subject: [SCA Newcomers] Cold weather camping
          >
          > In the last few weeks there was some discussion with suggestions on how to survive and enjoy camping in cooler weather.
          >
          > While cooler weather here in Ansteorra lately has meant that is now getting down to 70 or 80 degrees, in some parts of the Known World it may already be cooler than this and soon may get even colder!
          >
          > I've heard that in some places, there is this stuff called "snow" which falls from the sky.
          >
          > snow-msg (25K) 2/15/10 "Snow", a white, creamy confection often served with wafers.
          > http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-SWEETS/snow-msg.html
          > (oh, my lady wife just told me that this isn't the stuff that falls from the sky....)
          >
          > Anyway, last week I uploaded the latest version of this file to the SCA-CAMPING section of the Florilegium and I thought some of you might find it useful.
          > cld-weath-cmp-msg (33K) 8/17/10 Cold weather camping at SCA events.
          > http://www.florilegium.org/files/CAMPING/cld-weath-cmp-msg.html
          >
          > Some of you might also be interested in this file in the ENTERTAINMENT section, especially those that get some of this ...snow...that falls onto the ground and stays there.
          > wintr-sports-lnks (6K) 12/ 8/05 Links to info on medieval winter sports by Dame Aoife Finn of Ynos Mon.
          > http://www.florilegium.org/files/ENTERTAINMENT/wintr-sports-lnks.html
          >
          > Stefan
          > who might actually have to start wearing long pants again
          > --------

        • Bambi TBNL
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 1, 2010
            ( Singing slitghly flat)
            On the first night of Gulf Wars
            I wore into my bed
            !A black furry haat on my head!

            On the second night of Gulf Wars
            I wore into my bed
            Two pairs of sweatpants
            And a black furry hat on my head

            On the Third night of Gulf Wars
            I wore into my bed
            Three other campmates
            two pairs of sweat pants
            And black furry hat on my head.

            On the fourh night of Gulf Wars
            I wore itnto my bed
            Four linsywoolsy tunics
            Three other campmates
            Two pairs of sweatpants
            And a black fuzzy hat on my head.

            ON the fifth night of Gulf Wars
            I took into my bed
            FIVE HEATED ROCKS (wrapped in towels. DISCLAIMERbe very careful with this one rocks can explode while heating! IN fct just sy no to heating rocks)
            Four linsey woolsey tunics
            Three other campmates
            Two pairs of sweatpants
            AND A BLACK FURRU HAT ON MY HEAAAAAAD!

            (applause. Boews. Exits stage right)
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 1, 2010
              On Fri, 2010-10-01 at 02:14 -0500, Bambi TBNL wrote:
              > It did help thouh we awoke to dins our combined breath had caused
              > stlagties to form on the cieling.

              That explains a lot about why you were so cold. If you had stalactites
              forming on the ceiling from water condensation, then you needed more
              ventilation in the tent.

              It sounds counter-intuitive, but if you keep things *too* tightly sealed
              in the winter, you get condensation, which makes things damp, which
              makes you *colder* than if you let a little air in.

              Justin
              Who enjoys camping in zero-Farenheit weather :-)

              fesswise reversed sable.

              justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/