Re: [SCA Newcomers] Hi I'm looking for a good source of ...

  • Phoebe Gleeson
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 19, 2010
      I'm not a spinner, only a knitter, so my information may be off a bit
      - any spinners please correct me.

      In my understanding, roving is clean, carded wool, with short and long
      fibers all together. The cards look a lot like the rakes used to brush
      a dog, a big pad with short wire teeth. It's possible to knit with
      roving by pulling out long thin hanks of it (this is called drafting,
      I believe, which is what spinners do - only they spin it instead of
      knitting) and then knitting it like yarn. It's slower than knitting
      with yarn, and produces an uneven thick-thin, lofty fabric.

      Other roving-like fleece and yarn products are top, which is similar
      to roving, but made with combs and uses long fiber only, and lopi,
      which is a single-ply (one strand) loosely twisted yarn.

      As to greasy fleece, the advantage is that it retains the lanolin.
      It's extremely water resistant in a finished garment, but the
      disadvantages are several. It's, ah, greasy. And frequently smells
      very sheepy, especially if it gets wet. Not that sheepy is necessarily
      a bad thing, just worth pointing out. It's harder to dye it too,
      because the grease keeps dye from penetrating evenly. I have knit with
      grease-in yarn and I like it very much, but it does have those issues.
      One way around them is to use degreased (regular) wool, make whatever
      you planned to make, then as a final step rub lanolin into the fibers
      and set it in a warm place for an hour. Lanolin is available in
      drugstores and Wal-Mart in the baby section. They usually sell a brand
      called Lansinoh. You can get it online too. I used wool treated this
      way for years in cloth diaper covers, and they never, ever leaked.
      It's sort of amazing. I'd wash, dry, rub in the lanolin, "bake" and it
      would be good as new. Only nonsheepy :-)

      --
      Phoebe, mother of a half-dozen
      http://feebeeglee.blogspot.com

      "In this life we cannot do great things. We can only do small things
      with great love."
      -Mother Teresa

      On Sun, Sep 19, 2010 at 12:00 PM, Beth Zurkowski
      <spaceship_pegasus@...> wrote:

      > Hi Phoebe,
      > What is the grease for? and what is roving?
      > Thanks,
      > Beth

    • Beth Zurkowski
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 19, 2010
        Never mind I figured it out thanks.
        Beth

        From: Phoebe Gleeson <feebeeglee@...>

        To: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com

        Date: Sunday, September 19, 2010, 12:55 AM

        <spaceship_pegasus@...> wrote:

        > raw wool that can be knitted and then be felted. Can anyone help?

        > Thanks,

        > Beth

      • Stefan li Rous
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 19, 2010
          Beth asked for:
          <<< raw wool that can be knitted and then be felted. Can anyone help? >>>

          Phobe's suggestions are likely more recent, but you might also look at this Florilegium file in the TEXTILE ARTS section:
          merch-fleeces-msg (12K) 3/30/01 Some modern fleece sources.
          http://www.florilegium.org/files/TEXTILES/merch-fleeces-msg.html

          Phoebe said:
          <<< I may be an SCA newcomer but by gum I've been a knitter for years! >>>

          Both of you might be interested in some of the files in the Florilegium TEXTILE-ARTS section like:
          knitting-lnks (12K) 6/11/05 Links to info on medieval knitting by Dame Aoife Finn of Ynos Mon.
          http://www.florilegium.org/files/TEXTILES/knitting-lnks.html

          knitting-msg (78K) 2/ 1/09 Period knitting.
          http://www.florilegium.org/files/TEXTILES/knitting-msg.html

          p-knitting-bib (9K) 9/20/99 Period knitting bibliography by Lady Ingvild Josefsdatter (Nancy Spies).
          http://www.florilegium.org/files/TEXTILES/p-knitting-bib.html

          felting-msg (50K) 11/16/99 Felting and fulling of cloth.
          http://www.florilegium.org/files/TEXTILES/felting-msg.html

          spinning-msg (66K) 6/ 9/10 Spinning wheels, spindles. techniques.
          http://www.florilegium.org/files/TEXTILES/spinning-msg.html

          wool-clean-msg (26K) 4/ 7/08 Cleaning wool before spinning.
          http://www.florilegium.org/files/TEXTILES/wool-clean-msg.html

          wool-combing-msg (12K) 4/15/10 Wool carding and combing. History.
          http://www.florilegium.org/files/TEXTILES/wool-combing-msg.html

          Stefan
          --------