RE: [SCA Newcomers] Hi I'm looking for a good source of ...

  • Beth Zurkowski
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 19, 2010
      Thanks Shere! Great idea.

      --- On Sun, 9/19/10, Shere'e <shereerobinson@...> wrote:

      From: Shere'e <shereerobinson@...>
      Subject: RE: [SCA Newcomers] Hi I'm looking for a good source of ...
      To: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Sunday, September 19, 2010, 5:10 PM

      Check out your local 4H sheep group. That is where I get mine.

      Shere'e

    • Phoebe Gleeson
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 19, 2010
        I'm not a spinner, only a knitter, so my information may be off a bit
        - any spinners please correct me.

        In my understanding, roving is clean, carded wool, with short and long
        fibers all together. The cards look a lot like the rakes used to brush
        a dog, a big pad with short wire teeth. It's possible to knit with
        roving by pulling out long thin hanks of it (this is called drafting,
        I believe, which is what spinners do - only they spin it instead of
        knitting) and then knitting it like yarn. It's slower than knitting
        with yarn, and produces an uneven thick-thin, lofty fabric.

        Other roving-like fleece and yarn products are top, which is similar
        to roving, but made with combs and uses long fiber only, and lopi,
        which is a single-ply (one strand) loosely twisted yarn.

        As to greasy fleece, the advantage is that it retains the lanolin.
        It's extremely water resistant in a finished garment, but the
        disadvantages are several. It's, ah, greasy. And frequently smells
        very sheepy, especially if it gets wet. Not that sheepy is necessarily
        a bad thing, just worth pointing out. It's harder to dye it too,
        because the grease keeps dye from penetrating evenly. I have knit with
        grease-in yarn and I like it very much, but it does have those issues.
        One way around them is to use degreased (regular) wool, make whatever
        you planned to make, then as a final step rub lanolin into the fibers
        and set it in a warm place for an hour. Lanolin is available in
        drugstores and Wal-Mart in the baby section. They usually sell a brand
        called Lansinoh. You can get it online too. I used wool treated this
        way for years in cloth diaper covers, and they never, ever leaked.
        It's sort of amazing. I'd wash, dry, rub in the lanolin, "bake" and it
        would be good as new. Only nonsheepy :-)

        --
        Phoebe, mother of a half-dozen
        http://feebeeglee.blogspot.com

        "In this life we cannot do great things. We can only do small things
        with great love."
        -Mother Teresa

        On Sun, Sep 19, 2010 at 12:00 PM, Beth Zurkowski
        <spaceship_pegasus@...> wrote:

        > Hi Phoebe,
        > What is the grease for? and what is roving?
        > Thanks,
        > Beth

      • Beth Zurkowski
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 19, 2010
          Never mind I figured it out thanks.
          Beth

          From: Phoebe Gleeson <feebeeglee@...>

          To: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com

          Date: Sunday, September 19, 2010, 12:55 AM

          <spaceship_pegasus@...> wrote:

          > raw wool that can be knitted and then be felted. Can anyone help?

          > Thanks,

          > Beth

        • Stefan li Rous
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 19, 2010
            Beth asked for:
            <<< raw wool that can be knitted and then be felted. Can anyone help? >>>

            Phobe's suggestions are likely more recent, but you might also look at this Florilegium file in the TEXTILE ARTS section:
            merch-fleeces-msg (12K) 3/30/01 Some modern fleece sources.
            http://www.florilegium.org/files/TEXTILES/merch-fleeces-msg.html

            Phoebe said:
            <<< I may be an SCA newcomer but by gum I've been a knitter for years! >>>

            Both of you might be interested in some of the files in the Florilegium TEXTILE-ARTS section like:
            knitting-lnks (12K) 6/11/05 Links to info on medieval knitting by Dame Aoife Finn of Ynos Mon.
            http://www.florilegium.org/files/TEXTILES/knitting-lnks.html

            knitting-msg (78K) 2/ 1/09 Period knitting.
            http://www.florilegium.org/files/TEXTILES/knitting-msg.html

            p-knitting-bib (9K) 9/20/99 Period knitting bibliography by Lady Ingvild Josefsdatter (Nancy Spies).
            http://www.florilegium.org/files/TEXTILES/p-knitting-bib.html

            felting-msg (50K) 11/16/99 Felting and fulling of cloth.
            http://www.florilegium.org/files/TEXTILES/felting-msg.html

            spinning-msg (66K) 6/ 9/10 Spinning wheels, spindles. techniques.
            http://www.florilegium.org/files/TEXTILES/spinning-msg.html

            wool-clean-msg (26K) 4/ 7/08 Cleaning wool before spinning.
            http://www.florilegium.org/files/TEXTILES/wool-clean-msg.html

            wool-combing-msg (12K) 4/15/10 Wool carding and combing. History.
            http://www.florilegium.org/files/TEXTILES/wool-combing-msg.html

            Stefan
            --------