RE: [SCA Newcomers] New and totally lost

  • christopher chastain
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 13, 2010
      Best bet is go to the meeting, the folks you want to get in touch with most likely will be at the meeting. Dont be afraid to show up, newcomers are always welcome!

      Yours in Humble Service,
      Pomestnik Dmitrii Ivanov
      Per saltire sable and azure, a two headed eagle displayed and in chief a mullet of eight points argent

      "Though I walk in the valley of death I shall fear no evil for my sword and shield are with me!"

      To: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com
      From: jalcenius@...
      Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 20:16:49 +0000
      Subject: [SCA Newcomers] New and totally lost

      Hello everyone!

      I have been wanting to get into the SCA now for a while. With my crazy schedule though it was difficult in the past. Now that things have slowed down and I have a bunch of free time on my hands I wanted to finally dive into this.

      I contacted the chatelaine member of my barony but no one has responded yet and its been almost two weeks. I even went to an offical signin they had at University of Michigan and they said they'd forward my email and get everything rolling and still nothing.

      I don't know if I should just drop in on a meeting or what. Im not sure what exactly I should do and would rather not make a bad first impression. any advice on this would be welcomed.

    • Kyla
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 13, 2010
        Welcome to the SCA, and the newcomer's list!

        Shire/Canton/Baronial meetings are supposed to be open to the public, so
        just showing up should be OK, especially if they are held in a building that
        is not someone's home.

        If the Chatelaine doesn't respond, try someone else on the contacts' list,
        like the Seneschal.
        Don't wait weeks, wait a couple of days, and try again - email can get lost
        or delayed, and people can have real life crises - remember that we're all
        volunteers here.
        After a couple of days, if still no answer, contact your kingdom seneschal
        or chatelaine, and tell them that no one local is answering you.

        Alternatively, you could contact the canton nearest you, if your barony has
        cantons, and perhaps they will have a chatelaine who will respond to you.
        The cantons should be listed on the baronial website.

        Good luck with that, and let us know how it goes,

        Tabitha Pennywarden, who also had some pretty bad experiences when first
        exploring the SCA, 25 years ago, and has now been a member of the SCA for 6
        years.
        Ravenslake, Midlands
        Middle Kingdom

        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 14, 2010
          <<< I have been wanting to get into the SCA now for a while. With my crazy schedule though it was difficult in the past. Now that things have slowed down and I have a bunch of free time on my hands I wanted to finally dive into this. >>>

          Ohhh. Free time? The SCA can quickly solve that problem...

          <<< I contacted the chatelaine member of my barony but no one has responded yet and its been almost two weeks. I even went to an offical signin they had at University of Michigan and they said they'd forward my email and get everything rolling and still nothing >>>

          That's not uncommon. A little over 20 years ago I went to the Texas Renaissance Festival with several friends and while we were there we went by the SCA booth and I signed up to get more information. On the way home I talked to two of my friends who happened to be in the SCA and they told me where fighter practice was. This was in the days before email was commonly available. Well, eventually I got something in the mail a month or two after the Festival with more information about the SCA. However, by that time I'd already been a paid member of the SCA and attending meetings and such for a number of weeks.

          So don't wait on officialdum to eventually catch up. Drop by a meeting or a fighter practice. At least in my barony, the number of people attending fighter practice far exceeds the number at the monthly meeting. It also acts as the social gathering each place for the barony and isn't just for folks wanting to practice hitting each other with big sticks or poking each other with pointy things.

          I do have this file in the SCA-INC section of the Florilegium. While hardly comprehensive it does describe SCA meetings in some parts of the SCA.
          SCA-meetings-msg (9K) 7/ 8/05 How SCA meetings are held around the KW.
          http://www.florilegium.org/files/SCA-INC/SCA-meetings-msg.html

          Some SCA meetings are held in medieval clothing. My barony doesn't. Even if your group is the former, they will still welcome you without it. In general, the folks in the SCA are a friendly lot. Many are shy and won't want to bother a visiter. So be prepared to ask questions. In the SCA this is often easily done. It is easy to find something to ask about. That outfit somebody is wearing? Questions about that needlework they are working on. Why the guy doing that needlework is wearing a white belt.

          Of course if anyone here has comments to add to this file, please send me an email.

          You can find the address to the Florilegium below. The Florilegium is my website which I've been gathering info for, for about 20 years. It has a wide variety of information about the SCA and the Middle Ages.

          I would recommend taking a look through the NEWCOMERS section.

          Stefan
          --------
        • D'vorah bint al-Attar
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 17, 2010
            On 13 Sep 2010, at 3:16 PM, ironwolf9876 wrote:

            > I have been wanting to get into the SCA now for a while. With my crazy schedule though it was difficult in the past. Now that things have slowed down and I have a bunch of free time on my hands I wanted to finally dive into this.

            Welcome to the SCA! Where is your barony? City and state/province, or shire/barony/kingdom, or better yet both, will help us to find the relevant folks for you to talk to.
            D'vorah bint al-Attar
            Master Albrecht Waldfurster's Egg
            dvorah@...
            Facebook: D'vorah Bint Al-Attar