Re: [SCA Newcomers] For Maryelizabeth-Blanket Recommendations

  • Justinos Tekton called Justin
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 7, 2010
      sebhdann wrote:
      > Scadian friends taught me if
      > you're using an air mattress on the ground, place a blanket between
      > mattress
      > and sleeping bag for insulation from the cold air trapped inside the
      > air
      > mattress.

      As a Chirurgeon, I once treated a patient for hypothermia, serious
      enough I had to send her offsite for medical care, because she slept
      under several blankets but with only an air mattress between her bedroll
      and the ground. The temperature was about 45 Farenheit that night.

      People think of the obvious thing of putting blankets on top, but the
      head covering and the under-bed insulation are really more important in
      many situations.

      fesswise reversed sable.

      justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/
    • julian wilson
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 7, 2010
        Yes, - that's why - at SCA camping events - my Lady and I use "mylar emergency blankets" atop our Coleman double airbed, underneath a blanket and our sleeping bags, which we then cover with a thick period coverlet, "Warm as toast". And that's why I recommended the emergency blankets to Mary Elizabeth!

         In Service,
         Matthewe Baker

        > you're using an air mattress on the ground, place a blanket between

        > mattress

        > and sleeping bag for insulation from the cold air trapped inside the

        > air

        > mattress.

        As a Chirurgeon, I once treated a patient for hypothermia, serious

        enough I had to send her offsite for medical care, because she slept

        under several blankets but with only an air mattress between her bedroll

        and the ground. The temperature was about 45 Farenheit that night.

        People think of the obvious thing of putting blankets on top, but the

        head covering and the under-bed insulation are really more important in

        many situations.

        fesswise reversed sable.

        justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/

      • Caoilinn Trotter
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 7, 2010
          I usually put an old sleeping bag, unzipped and left open on top of the air
          mattress and a sleeping bag that I crawl into, I've been to a few of our Lovely
          freeze your nose off campouts, l;ol