Stefan's Florilegium files for September

  • Stefan li Rous
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 5, 2010
      Greetings to the Gentles of Known World,

      Here is a copy of my Florilegium article for September detailing what is new in the Florilegium this month.

      I am always looking for good articles for the Florilegium. If you have researched a little known subject in our period or you practice a little known art or craft, writing an article is an excellent way to introduce others to the work you've done. I'm especially interested in academic papers written for A&S contests because, unfortunately, few have time at such an event to read them. Even the judges. Getting them published in the Florilegium lets your hard word benefit the entire Known World.

      If you are a newsletter editor and would like to get a copy of this monthly article for your print newsletter several weeks before I post it to the mail lists, please contact me. If you publish a webpage, whether for yourself or your group, I would appreciate a link to the Florilegium or to any of the sections of files within it. The easier it for people to find the Florilegium, the more folks can make use of it. For some reason many folks seem to have a problem remembering how to spell the name of the site. :-)

      If you would like a quick and easy way to know when any files have been updated or a new file has been added to the Florilegium, then subscribe to the Florilegium RSS feed. Most of the modern browsers now support this feature. If you do use this service, I'd appreciate a quick email letting me know. It takes a fair amount of time to create these and I have no way of knowing whether this feature is being used or not.

      Thank you to all who took a look at the ads when you visited the Florilegium and picked on one or two. The Florilegium is completely supported by the ads that merchants are willing to run, along with a few donations. Usually I get only a few ad clicks a day but I noticed an abrupt increase for a few days after this monthly article was sent to the lists, and I assume it is from folks checking the new and updated files after seeing them in this monthly article and clicking on a few ads. Thank you.

      Thanks,
      Stefan
      ---------
      A Blending of the Past and Present

      Over the past twenty years in an ongoing effort, I have been collecting bits of useful information from various newsgroups, mail lists and articles submitted to me by their authors. In order to make this information available to others, I have placed this information in a collection of files I call Stefan's Florilegium.

      I am always interested in new articles. If you have written an article that would be of interest to others in the SCA, please send it to me for possible inclusion in the Florilegium. A&S documentation and class handouts will also often work out well. I am especially interested in A&S papers.

      The Florilegium now has an RSS feed for those who want an immediate alert when new or updated files are uploaded to the website.

      Advertisements on the site pay for its upkeep. If you enjoy the Florilegium, please click on an ad or two each time you are there.

      THLord Stefan li Rous Ansteorra stefan at florilegium.org

      Here are the new files for this month:
      In the EQUESTRIAN section:
      Hors-Training-art "SCA Equestrian Training Tips" by Lady Lyonet Lamoureux.
      In the FEAST-REVIEWS section:
      11tC-Scot-fst-art Recipes f. Coron. Feast for Siredean and Sile
      of Calontir by THL Suzanne de la Ferté.
      In the FOOD section:
      pea-soup-msg Period pea soups. Recipes.
      sapa-msg Concentrated grape juice. Also called saba,
      sabba. Often used in Italian cooking.
      In the FOOD-DAIRY section:
      Cheese-Histry-art "Cheeses, A History" by Mistress Marcia of
      Jarrow Motte.
      In the PERIOD-THOUGHT section:
      Chaucer-Engsh-art "Chaucer - The Triumph of English" by Dafydd
      of the Glens OL.
      Folk-Tales-MM-art "Folk Tales as insight into the Medieval Mind"
      by THL EllaAnne de Kari.
      In the SCA-STORIES section:
      Gleann-A-hist-msg Histories of the Kingdom of Gleann-Abhann.
      placenames3-msg Origins and meanings of SCA placenames. Pt. 3
      In the TIME section:
      Dptych-Sndial-art "A Diptych Sundial" By H.L. Morgaine Essex And
      H.L. Hucbald ap Urp.

      Here are some of the updated files for this month:
      beads-msg Necklaces, beads.
      butter-msg Period butter. Making butter. Butter churns.
      coopering-msg Making and maintaining barrels and kegs.
      dogs-msg Dogs. Barding for dogs. dog collars.
      fd-Italy-msg Period Italian food. Cookbooks.
      fd-Turkey-msg Medieval Turkish food. References. Recipes.
      marzipan-msg Use of marzipan (almond paste) in sotelties.
      organ-meats-msg Period cooking of organ meats.
      pasta-msg Period pasta. Period references. Recipes.
      placenames2-msg More origins and meanings of SCA placenames.
      polenta-msg Period polenta. Wheat and maize polenta.
      seafood-msg Medieval non-fish seafood. Recipes.
      vinegar-msg Vinegar in period. Making vinegar.
      wine-msg Medieval wines.
      ---
      Copyright 2010, Mark S. Harris. Permission to reprint in SCA-related publications is hereby granted if the file descriptions are left unchanged. Removing any of the updated files listed in order to fit the article into limited publication space is allowed. The article introduction may also be edited, provided the web address and contact info are retained.

      <end>
      --------
    • Stefan li Rous
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 6, 2011
        Greetings to the Gentlefolk of the SCA,

        Here is a copy of my Florilegium article for September detailing what
        is new in the Florilegium this month.

        I am always looking for good articles for the Florilegium. If you have
        researched something in our period or you practice a little known art
        or craft, writing an article is an excellent way to introduce others
        to the work you've done. I'm especially interested in academic papers
        written for A&S contests because, unfortunately, few have time at such
        an event to read them. Even the judges. Getting them published in the
        Florilegium lets your hard word benefit the entire Known World. Word
        format is the easiest for me to handle, but others are possible.

        If you, your household or your local group run a website, please
        consider adding a link there to the Florilegium. Not only does this
        help people who might be interested in what the Florilegium offers
        find the site, but it raises the site in the Google ratings and thus
        might bring in more ad money to keep the site going.

        Thanks,
        Stefan
        -----------
        A Blending of the Past and Present

        Over the past twenty-one years in an ongoing effort, I have been
        collecting bits of useful information from various newsgroups, mail
        lists and articles submitted to me by their authors. In order to make
        this information available to others, I have placed this information
        in a collection of files called Stefan's Florilegium.

        I am always interested in new articles. If you have written an article
        that would be of interest to others in the SCA, please send it to me
        for possible inclusion in the Florilegium. A&S documentation and class
        handouts will also often work well. I am especially interested in
        research papers submitted as A&S entries.

        Advertisements on the site pay for its upkeep. If you enjoy the
        Florilegium, please click on an ad or two whenever you are there.

        THLord Stefan li Rous Ansteorra stefan at florilegium.org

        Here are the new files for this month:
        In the COMBAT section:
        boffer-weapns-msg Making and using boffer weapons in the SCA.
        caltrops-msg A medieval 4-pointed anti-personnel/anti-
        equine item. Lands with 1 point always up.
        In the EQUESTRIAN section:
        p-saddle-bags-msg Period saddle bags. The ways items were
        carried on horses.
        In the FOOD section:
        p-street-food-msg Period street food.
        In the FOOD-FRUITS section:
        apples-cinn-msg Period recipes which include both apples
        and cinnamon.
        In the FOOD-MEATS section:
        pickled-fish-msg Pickled fish. Either by storing in vinegar or
        by the action of lactic acid.
        In the HOME, SWEET HOME section:
        Talow-Candles-art "Hand Dipped Tallow/Beeswax Candles"
        by Baroness Onora O'Toole.
        In the LIFE-STEPS section:
        Marriag-Sagas-art "The Marriages of Guðrún and Hallgerðr" by
        Baron Fridrikr Tomasson. Marriage in the
        Norse Sagas.
        In the NORSE section:
        Zombies-Iclnd-art "inn draugir: The Zombie in Old Icelandic
        Sagas" by Baron Fridrikr Tomasson.

        Here are the updated files for this month.
        belts-msg Medieval and SCA belts and baldrics.
        camelne-sauce-msg Sauces w. cinnamon as a major component.
        cotton-msg Period cotton use.
        instruments-msg Musical instruments.
        London-msg Medieval points of interest in and around
        London.
        mustard-msg Mustard seed in period. sauces. recipes.
        placenames3-msg Origins and meanings of SCA placenames. Pt. 3
        spits-msg Period and SCA spits for roasting meats.
        stockfish-msg Period preserved fish.
        ---
        Copyright 2011, Mark S. Harris. Permission to reprint in SCA-related

        http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris