For Maryelizabeth, - was sleeping on the ground

  • julian wilson
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 2, 2010
      On 1 Sep 2010, at 7:22 PM, Maryelizabeth wrote:
      > ...I am concerned about sleeping on the ground, especially for my youngest as he has a vascular condition which is affected by cold, especially a damp cold.

      COMMENT
      My Lady Mary Elizabeth,
      amongst all the very good advice you have had from other Listers, - I note one simple preventive Solution to your chilly problem is missing.
      "Space/Survival blankets"
      These re-useable sheets of heat-retaining, reflective, aluminium-coated plastic  - pack-down small-enough to fit into an ordinary pocket, in their little wallets.
       In the UK they are cheap, and can be bought in any good "Camping Supplies" Shop.
      Whether you sleep in a "3-seasons" sleeping-bag covered by woollen blankets,  on an ex-military camp bed; - or sleeping-bag on a "Thermarest" mat on the ground; or sleep in a replica medieval bed atop woollen blankets over an air mattress or a futon, - a "Space Blanket" between your blanket underlayer and the next layer down ["Thermarest", camp-bed canvas, air mattress, futon]- will substantially reduce the heat-loss downwards. In fact , the Space Blanket will reflect your body-heat back  towards you.
      My Lady and I now use them all the time when camping at events in Insulae Draconis, Drachenwald.
      When we first joined the Society in 2005, our first two camping events were really spoiled for us both, because
      a] we weren't using our 3-Seasons down-filled sleeping bags at all the first time, and
      b] even when we DID use those sleeping bags the second time, [on a air mattress on the tent groundsheet], - the cold ground was still chilling-down the air in the mattress, and the down in the sleeping bags was being compressed by the weight of our bodies.
      Thus, even with blankets over us, and a couple of sheepskins, we were losing bodyheat downwards, and by the early hours of the mornings, were waking because we were so cold.
      I used to do Sea Kayak touring & camping, and already HAD a couple of Space Blankets in our kayaking  Emergency Kits; - and had the idea they might help matters on our 3rd SCA event, so I dug-them-out and we took them along and used them.
      We were absolutely astonished at how much warmer we were, in the "wee small hours" of the mornings when ground temps. reached their lowest.

      In Service, and for encouragement,
       Lord Matthewe Baker,
       Drachenwald.