Re: [SCA Newcomers] For Maryelizabeth-Blanket Recommendations

  • Sebhdann
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 2 10:34 AM
      If you can get your hands on military issue wool blankets, they work
      outstandingly well as an insulation layer under sleeping bags. Additionally
      a regulation blanket is sized just right to drape to the ground over the
      sides of a military cot, thus helping trap air under the cot. If you
      already have solved the underlayer/drape issue, the wool blanket works great
      as an inner liner inside a sleeping blanket or wrapped around the outside if
      you're not comfortable with wool that close to your skin (like me) when the
      temperatures drop at night. I know all of this from personal experience
      with field training exercises with the Army. Scadian friends taught me if
      you're using an air mattress on the ground, place a blanket between mattress
      and sleeping bag for insulation from the cold air trapped inside the air
      mattress.

      And in a pinch, military wool blankets, especially the grey ones (as opposed
      the olive green/Army green) make great period-esque cloaks. Though I have
      seen some Scadians in cloaks made from green blankets that the only way I
      could tell it had originally been military issue was due to my 2+ decades of
      being in.

      Where to get them? Check second hand stores, especially near military
      bases, and any military surplus stores. If you prefer new, there are lots
      of on-line military equipment suppliers.

      --
      Sl�n!

      Sebhdann ingen Cinaedha
      Shire of Wyewood, An Tir
      Clan Carn

      *mka Sue V.*

      Move Your Feet to a Marching Drum
      We'll win the war and pay the toll,
      We'll Fight as One in Heart and Soul
      --'The March of Cambreadth'--Heather Alexander
      On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 8:11 AM, cjburke_99 <cjburke@...>wrote:

      > --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com <scanewcomers%40yahoogroups.com>,
      > "Maryelizabeth" <peterbenma@...> wrote:
      > >

      > > > The rule should be, for every blanket or sheet on top of you, you want
      > AT LEAST two blankets beneath you. The cot slipcover will help too, as will
      > storing garb boxes and other storage beneath the bed, because they will slow
      > down air flow. Nothing makes you colder than having a brisk breeze below
      > you. Terrific in the heat of summer, but painfully cold in the early spring
      > such as for Gulf Wars (mid-March).
      > > >

      > > Thamk you for this information, especially about the updrafts, which is
      > something I had completely overlooked.
      > >

      > This is one of the most common mistakes made by first-time campers. People
      > worry about camping on the "cold ground," but the ground acts as an
      > insulator for the bottom part of the body. A cot gets you off the ground and
      > allows the air underneath, which may be colder than the ground. Air
      > mattresses do this as well, but to a lesser extent.
      >
      > A friend who has much more experience with camping in the SCA (I'm an old
      > boy scout camper) swears by skeepskin. He is a big man with arthritis
      > issues, but I have known him to sleep comfortably on hardwood floors with a
      > couple layers of sheepskin. For tent camping, I know he uses a cot with
      > sheepskin, and he happily survived 2 weeks of Pennsic with that arrangement.
      >
      > Being on a limited budget myself, this weekend I am camping on a "cot" that
      > started life as a chaise lounge with a solid twill surface, supplemented
      > with a sleeping bag and fleece cloak.
      >
      > Dragos Pelikanos
      > "Let there be music! Let there be dancing!"

    • julian wilson
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 3 9:30 AM
        Gentles of the List,
        Before I re-discovered "Space/Survival Blankets" for this use - I'd have totally agreed with these recommendations about military-surplus woollen blankets..

         However, "Space Blankets" are even more efficient at insulating one from cold drafts under camp beds, or cold air in the "airbed". And they'll pack-down small enough to fit into an average sized pocket. So there's a huge space/weight saving from using them. Any good "Camping Equipment Supplier" should stock them.
        { I didn't have to pay for mine - because I had them still - from my kayaking days, in the "Kayaking Emergency Kits I'd not thrown out].

        In Service,
        Lord Matthewe Baker,
         Drachenwald

[...]

        Slán!

        Sebhdann ingen Cinaedha
        Shire of Wyewood, An Tir
        Clan Carn

        *mka Sue V.*

        Move Your Feet to a Marching Drum
        We'll win the war and pay the toll,
        We'll Fight as One in Heart and Soul
        --'The March of Cambreadth'--Heather Alexander
        On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 8:11 AM, cjburke_99 <cjburke@...>wrote:

        > --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com <scanewcomers%40yahoogroups.com>,
        > "Maryelizabeth" <peterbenma@...> wrote:
        > >

        > > > The rule should be, for every blanket or sheet on top of you, you want
        > AT LEAST two blankets beneath you. The cot slipcover will help too, as will
        > storing garb boxes and other storage beneath the bed, because they will slow
        > down air flow. Nothing makes you colder than having a brisk breeze below
        > you. Terrific in the heat of summer, but painfully cold in the early spring
        > such as for Gulf Wars (mid-March).
        > > >

        > > Thamk you for this information, especially about the updrafts, which is
        > something I had completely overlooked.
        > >

        > This is one of the most common mistakes made by first-time campers. People
        > worry about camping on the "cold ground," but the ground acts as an
        > insulator for the bottom part of the body. A cot gets you off the ground and
        > allows the air underneath, which may be colder than the ground. Air
        > mattresses do this as well, but to a lesser extent.
        >
        > A friend who has much more experience with camping in the SCA (I'm an old
        > boy scout camper) swears by skeepskin. He is a big man with arthritis
        > issues, but I have known him to sleep comfortably on hardwood floors with a
        > couple layers of sheepskin. For tent camping, I know he uses a cot with
        > sheepskin, and he happily survived 2 weeks of Pennsic with that arrangement.
        >
        > Being on a limited budget myself, this weekend I am camping on a "cot" that
        > started life as a chaise lounge with a solid twill surface, supplemented
        > with a sleeping bag and fleece cloak.
        >
        > Dragos Pelikanos
        > "Let there be music! Let there be dancing!"

      • Maryelizabeth
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 3 5:29 PM
          I found a place online that sells the emergency mylar blankets and they are under 2.00 US. I also found that walmart has a pad that is about the same size as the cots and it has an aluminum/mylar coating to act much the same as the emergency blanket would when placed on the cot. These are 15.00 US, and would be a little more cushion than just the cot itself would have. I haven't decided which I plan to go with yet, but am weighing both options as I was going to get them each a camping mat to give a little more cushioning anyway.

          I can't thank you all enough for such great information. Between this list and the encampment list, I am getting very quality advice and ideas, as well as important information.
        • D'vorah bint al-Attar
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 4 7:16 PM
            On 3 Sep 2010, at 7:29 PM, Maryelizabeth wrote:

            > I found a place online that sells the emergency mylar blankets and they are under 2.00 US. I also found that walmart has a pad that is about the same size as the cots and it has an aluminum/mylar coating to act much the same as the emergency blanket would when placed on the cot. These are 15.00 US, and would be a little more cushion than just the cot itself would have.

            Any chance you might post links to these, so others can benefit from your research? I froze my tochas off at Gulf Wars 2010, and wouldn't like to do the same at the next cold event I attend.
            D'vorah bint al-Attar
            Master Albrecht Waldfurster's Egg
            dvorah@...
            Facebook: D'vorah Bint Al-Attar
          • Maryelizabeth
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 4 8:40 PM
              http://www.emergencysuppliers.com/emergency-thermal-blanket-p-25.html?gclid=CPjbzsOt76MCFQ5vswod-CXn0w

              this is where the space blankets are, as well as a huge amount of other nifty first-aid items.

              http://www.walmart.com/ip/Wenzel-71-x-24-Aluminum-Camp-Pad-Silver/13228659

              thermal mat that fits under a sleeping bag or on a cot

              Hope these links are helpful!

              Maryelizabeth/Francesca
            • Justinos Tekton called Justin
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 7 11:12 AM
                sebhdann wrote:
                > Scadian friends taught me if
                > you're using an air mattress on the ground, place a blanket between
                > mattress
                > and sleeping bag for insulation from the cold air trapped inside the
                > air
                > mattress.

                As a Chirurgeon, I once treated a patient for hypothermia, serious
                enough I had to send her offsite for medical care, because she slept
                under several blankets but with only an air mattress between her bedroll
                and the ground. The temperature was about 45 Farenheit that night.

                People think of the obvious thing of putting blankets on top, but the
                head covering and the under-bed insulation are really more important in
                many situations.

                fesswise reversed sable.

                justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/
              • julian wilson
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 7 2:08 PM
                  Yes, - that's why - at SCA camping events - my Lady and I use "mylar emergency blankets" atop our Coleman double airbed, underneath a blanket and our sleeping bags, which we then cover with a thick period coverlet, "Warm as toast". And that's why I recommended the emergency blankets to Mary Elizabeth!

                   In Service,
                   Matthewe Baker

                  > you're using an air mattress on the ground, place a blanket between

                  > mattress

                  > and sleeping bag for insulation from the cold air trapped inside the

                  > air

                  > mattress.

                  As a Chirurgeon, I once treated a patient for hypothermia, serious

                  enough I had to send her offsite for medical care, because she slept

                  under several blankets but with only an air mattress between her bedroll

                  and the ground. The temperature was about 45 Farenheit that night.

                  People think of the obvious thing of putting blankets on top, but the

                  head covering and the under-bed insulation are really more important in

                  many situations.

                  fesswise reversed sable.

                  justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/

                • Caoilinn Trotter
                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 7 5:44 PM
                    I usually put an old sleeping bag, unzipped and left open on top of the air
                    mattress and a sleeping bag that I crawl into, I've been to a few of our Lovely
                    freeze your nose off campouts, l;ol