Re: [SCA Newcomers] For Maryelizabeth, WAS I haven't posted in a while, but need a little advice/input

  • cjburke_99
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 2, 2010
      --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Maryelizabeth" <peterbenma@...> wrote:

      > > The rule should be, for every blanket or sheet on top of you, you want AT LEAST two blankets beneath you. The cot slipcover will help too, as will storing garb boxes and other storage beneath the bed, because they will slow down air flow. Nothing makes you colder than having a brisk breeze below you. Terrific in the heat of summer, but painfully cold in the early spring such as for Gulf Wars (mid-March).
      > >

      > Thamk you for this information, especially about the updrafts, which is something I had completely overlooked.

      This is one of the most common mistakes made by first-time campers. People worry about camping on the "cold ground," but the ground acts as an insulator for the bottom part of the body. A cot gets you off the ground and allows the air underneath, which may be colder than the ground. Air mattresses do this as well, but to a lesser extent.

      A friend who has much more experience with camping in the SCA (I'm an old boy scout camper) swears by skeepskin. He is a big man with arthritis issues, but I have known him to sleep comfortably on hardwood floors with a couple layers of sheepskin. For tent camping, I know he uses a cot with sheepskin, and he happily survived 2 weeks of Pennsic with that arrangement.

      Being on a limited budget myself, this weekend I am camping on a "cot" that started life as a chaise lounge with a solid twill surface, supplemented with a sleeping bag and fleece cloak.

      Dragos Pelikanos
      "Let there be music! Let there be dancing!"