Re: [SCA Newcomers] For Maryelizabeth, WAS I haven't posted in a while, but need a little advice/input

  • Maryelizabeth
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 1, 2010

      > Then army-style cots are probably your best bet. I use them myself. If you want to cover them up, make a slipcover out of neutral-colored ("looks like natural linen!") bed sheets, or just drape sheets over them. If your son's vascular condition is really severe, or if you plan to camp in the early spring or late autumn when it's much colder at night, I highly recommend a real wool fleece mattress pad. I got a queen-sized one for about $100, though I should've gotten a king-sized one because two cots shoved together are a bit bigger than queen-sized. A twin-sized one for each cot -- or more than one, if you want to really go for the luxury and warmth -- will be terrific. The rule should be, for every blanket or sheet on top of you, you want AT LEAST two blankets beneath you. The cot slipcover will help too, as will storing garb boxes and other storage beneath the bed, because they will slow down air flow. Nothing makes you colder than having a brisk breeze below you. Terrific in the heat of summer, but painfully cold in the early spring such as for Gulf Wars (mid-March).

      Thamk you for this information, especially about the updrafts, which is something I had completely overlooked.

      > The SoulPad isn't a period tent. Tents of this general style, called a Sibley tent or a bell tent, are documented to the mid-19th century I know, but could very well also be earlier for all I know. I got it because it's only $500, shipping is free anywhere in North America, and because the design is "plausibly period." That is, it's of such a simple design that it seems completely ridiculous to think that NO ONE would have ever used this design. It's like combining the shape of the lavvu or tipi with the wall height of the 5000-year-old Roman tent, the best of both. As far as I know, it wasn't used widely, but the ease and convenience of the design make it seem sort of like "If you want to make bread, you're probably going to need some kind of flour." You know what I mean? Ridiculous to think that something so stupid-easy NEEDED to be documented, right?

      Well, they do look "plausibly period, so I am guessing that makes them ok as per SCA guidelines. Either way, the soul pads are very cute.

      > > We are planning to add a bit to the encampment slowly, as well as to feast gear, garb, etc. as we can and as I can find it as locally as possible.
      >
      > I was at Ikea just today, on an unrelated matter, and saw some ceramic plates and bowls there for under a dollar each.

      Very good deal! We already have wooden plates, although I have been keeping my eye out at the local thrift store for some that at least "look" like they are pewter. I have a couple pieces that I want to replace, but for the most part, we do have feast gear that is ok, even if some isn't exactly period (the wooden bowls are not round.)

      > Again, welcome back to the Current Middle Ages. It'll be great to have you in the Society again. Where did you say you were located?

      I am located in Atlantia, in Kingdom Lands, between Black Diamond and Windmaster's Hill, although I am a bit closer to Windmaster's Hill.

      Maryelizabeth
    • cjburke_99
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 2, 2010
        --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Maryelizabeth" <peterbenma@...> wrote:

        > > The rule should be, for every blanket or sheet on top of you, you want AT LEAST two blankets beneath you. The cot slipcover will help too, as will storing garb boxes and other storage beneath the bed, because they will slow down air flow. Nothing makes you colder than having a brisk breeze below you. Terrific in the heat of summer, but painfully cold in the early spring such as for Gulf Wars (mid-March).
        > >

        > Thamk you for this information, especially about the updrafts, which is something I had completely overlooked.

        This is one of the most common mistakes made by first-time campers. People worry about camping on the "cold ground," but the ground acts as an insulator for the bottom part of the body. A cot gets you off the ground and allows the air underneath, which may be colder than the ground. Air mattresses do this as well, but to a lesser extent.

        A friend who has much more experience with camping in the SCA (I'm an old boy scout camper) swears by skeepskin. He is a big man with arthritis issues, but I have known him to sleep comfortably on hardwood floors with a couple layers of sheepskin. For tent camping, I know he uses a cot with sheepskin, and he happily survived 2 weeks of Pennsic with that arrangement.

        Being on a limited budget myself, this weekend I am camping on a "cot" that started life as a chaise lounge with a solid twill surface, supplemented with a sleeping bag and fleece cloak.

        Dragos Pelikanos
        "Let there be music! Let there be dancing!"