RE: [SCA Newcomers] Introduction

  • Kyla
    Message 1 of 21 , Sep 1, 2010
      Newcomer resources:

      There are many resources available to newcomers on line.

      First, I suggest looking at the Society website: http://www.sca.org/

      In the upper right hand corner, there are a number of pages for newcomers,
      including things like how to figure out what kingdom/region/barony/shire
      you're in by your zip code, easy garb to make, some ideas about how to get
      started on building a person, and things like that.

      This website is also where you can find things like the society rules for
      the various kinds of combat, and the society's goals.

      From here, you can find your kingdom website, which will have kingdom
      specific rules for fighting, and your local chatelaine/hospitaler or
      seneschal's contact information.

      Second, take a look at the files in this Yahoo lists' website:

      There are files on all sorts of things, from various kinds of clothing, or
      garb, to heraldry, to camping equipment lists.

      Third, Take a very LONG look at Stefan's Florilegium:

      Stefan has collected thousands of articles on nearly every possible topic -
      there is sure to be something useful to you in there.

      In addition, Stefan is on this list - if you ask him, he will suggest
      articles related to your topic of inquiry.

      After you've spent some time looking at these resources, talk to your local
      chatelaine/hospitaler - the newcomer greeter, or seneschal - your chapter

      They can suggest other avenues of research, or local SCAdians who have
      similar interests.

      Don't forget your local library, as well as the extensive online libraries
      springing up all over the place these days.

      After all of that, if you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask on
      this list - these are some of the most helpful people in the SCA, and they
      would love to help you in any way they can!

      Tabitha Pennywarden

      Ravenslake, Midlands

      Middle Kingdom

      Message 2 of 21 , Sep 1, 2010
        On a more local level, you are in the oldest, and one of the most vibrant,
        local groups in the East Kingdom.

        There's contact information on the province of Ostgardr here --

        The chatelaine and deputy chatelaine are the best place to start.

        There is an event coming up Sept. 11 and 12 -- John Barleycorn (
        http://www.eastkingdom.org/event-detail.html?eid=1936), which is
        particularly good.

        There also an event at the Queens County Fair (
        http://www.eastkingdom.org/event-detail.html?eid=2017) Sept. 25 and 26.

        On Oct. 15-17, there will be horses! Warrior Nadaam (
        http://www.eastkingdom.org/event-detail.html?eid=1985) is amazing.

        Pretty busy down there in New York City.