Court Jester

  • JonH
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 31, 2010
      A friend of mine is interested in learning to be a court jester as an A&S project. I assume that means some Bardic songs, story telling, period jokes, maybe some magic for the kids, making jester garb. Can anyone tell me where to start looking?
      Thanks
      Jon
    • Stefan li Rous
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 1, 2010
        <<< A friend of mine is interested in learning to be a court jester as an A&S project. I assume that means some Bardic songs, story telling, period jokes, maybe some magic for the kids, making jester garb. Can anyone tell me where to start looking?
        Thanks
        Jon >>>

        The good, the bad and the ugly...

        Okay, some of the info on court jesters in period is going to be ugly and not PC by today's standards. Those with physical and mental deformities sometimes found themselves hireed as court jesters because it gave the court something to laugh at and congratulate themselves on being above.

        There were those courts that hired entertainers because they could provide more genteel type entertainment such as songs and stories and jokes. In earlier cultures these might have been considered bards.

        There are a number of files in the Florilegium which might be of use to your friend. If neither of you are familiar with the Florilegium, it is a fairly large SCA and medieval website with now about 2300 different files on a wide variety of subjects. You can find the address in my signature line below.

        The main section to look through will be the PERFORMANCE-ARTS section with files such as:

        jesters-msg (15K) 9/20/99 Court jesters, jonglers.
        http://www.florilegium.org/files/PERFORMANCE-ARTS/jesters-msg.html

        Jestrs-Mumrs-lnks (6K) 2/ 8/06 Links to info on medieval Jesters and Mummers by Dame Aoife Finn of Ynos Mon.
        http://www.florilegium.org/files/PERFORMANCE-ARTS/Jestrs-Mumrs-lnks.html

        The-Fool-n-SP-art (18K) 3/ 7/07 "The Historical Fool in Shakespeare's King Lear" by Lady Eleanor Cleavely.
        http://www.florilegium.org/files/PERFORMANCE-ARTS/The-Fool-n-SP-art.html

        juggling-msg (68K) 4/18/97 Jugglers in SCA and period.
        http://www.florilegium.org/files/PERFORMANCE-ARTS/juggling-msg.html

        bardic-msg (28K) 11/ 8/01 Period and SCA bards. Bardic topics.
        http://www.florilegium.org/files/PERFORMANCE-ARTS/bardic-msg.html

        Entrtng-n-SCA-art (14K) 2/18/05 "Entertaining in the SCA: a short essay" by Baron Hrolf Herjolfssen.
        http://www.florilegium.org/files/PERFORMANCE-ARTS/Entrtng-n-SCA-art.html

        In the UNCATALOGUED section:
        humor-msg (41K) 1/11/96 Period and SCA humor.
        http://www.florilegium.org/files/UNCAT/humor-msg.html

        jokes-msg (18K) 5/15/96 Period and SCA jokes.
        http://www.florilegium.org/files/UNCAT/jokes-msg.html

        Clothing will depend upon the time period and location. Despite Hollywood, there wasn't any sort of jester's uniform. Figure out your persona's time period and location and then dress it up or make it more humorous. Exaggerate the colors and style.

        For stuff for children, see the CHILDREN section.

        If either of you are new to the SCA, I would also recommend looking through the NEWCOMERS section.

        I hope this helps get you started.

        Stefan
        --------