Re: Trimming issues

  • peneth4
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 16, 2010
      Answer to question re use . . .

      No its not for a hat. What I want to do is sew some findings on to it and turn it into a decorated belt.

      Penny

      > <<< I am experiencing extreme frustration trying to buy 38mm wide Scarlet / Red velvet ribbon approximately 2 metres long. Local Haberdashery shops (Brisbane, Qld, Australia) haven't been able to help (have 15mm or less wide) which is no use as I intend to sew trimmings onto it. As I'm likely to end up buying online I'm happy to purchase several 2 metre lengths in different colours but not necessarily that wide.
      >
      > So, my question is, can someone please please, pretty please tell me who can supply me velvet ribbon 38mm wide.
      >
      > Many thanks
      > Merewenne verch Neste
      > Aka Penny >>>
      >
      > Interesting. Is this for a hat?
      >
      > There is this file in the CLOTHING section of the Florilegium, but this file is geared toward clothing trim, and particularly embroidered trim, but many of the merchants carry trim of various types.
      > trim-msg (54K) 8/30/04 Medieval and SCA trim for clothing.
      > http://www.florilegium.org/files/CLOTHING/trim-msg.html
      >
      > Okay, it's been a while since I updated this and I have some more material for it. I will try to do this in the next several days.
      >
      > Another possibility might be of buy velvet or velveteen? and cut it into the needed strips.
      > velvet-msg (64K) 3/23/99 Medieval velvets. Modern substitutions.
      > http://www.florilegium.org/files/TEXTILES/velvet-msg.html
      >
      > Stefan
      >
      > --------

    • Stefan li Rous
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 17, 2010
        <<< Answer to question re use . . .

        No its not for a hat. What I want to do is sew some findings on to it and turn it into a decorated belt.

        Penny >>>

        Thank you for answering my question. Are you planning on backing it? I think that modern velvet, and especially velveteen will stretch and probably droop, so placing/wrapping your velvet over a leather or other belt might be helpful.

        I do have this file on belts in the ACCESSORIES section of the Florilegium, but I'm not sure how much is specifically on decorated cloth belts.

        belts-msg (41K) 4/27/10 Medieval and SCA belts and baldrics.
        http://www.florilegium.org/files/ACCESS/belts-msg.html

        Perhaps someday I'll see a good article on these decorated belts and convince the author to let me add it to the Florilegium, or someone will write me a good article on them.

        Stefan

        --------