Re: [SCA Newcomers] Tips?

  • Sue
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 12, 2010
      Hang around the Arts and Science part of an event -- take lots of classes - even in things that you don't "think" you would even remotely be intrested in. there might be something said in a class as an "aside" that sparks an intrest in something.

      When you do pick a time frame -- read lots of stuff about that era - never know where something intresting will show up. (I've *read* lots of books that I only ever read the captions on the pictures....Which was enough to know that WASN'T what I wanted to study)

      Talk to Peers....they don't bite (well I know a couple that do, but only if you ask them nicely....giggle) they were once a newcomer too. Heck just TALK TO PEOPLE

      Sit in a corner and most SCA folks will leave you alone.

      If somebody is working on something that is "neat" ASK them about it (Diety knows we are a gabby bunch and will talk about pet projects untill you fall over)

      Me I am really getting into the fiber arts and found KumiHimo (Japanese braiding) from a class on Samuri armor (they laced all the parts together) and that was just a class I managed to walk by at the right time.

      Lady Mariassa Ashgrove