Tips?

  • angela
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 12, 2010
      Okay, so I'm new... I've posted before about persona. I'm working on that, following advice and be vague for awhile. But I'm looking for any tips as far as good things to try to "test the waters". I have already fallen in love with archery, but have limited time in the place where I can practice. But as far as arts/other activities. What are some things that are recomended to try?

      Oh, and I wouldn't turn down and "I wish I had known that back then" tips either.

      Angie
    • Chuck Burke
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 12, 2010
        A warm welcome to you, Angie!

        Question number one that I think should be asked of all folks entering
        the SCA: Do you sew? (followed by Would you like to learn? if the
        answer was No)

        Seriously, from my limited experience, garb-making is one of the
        fundamentals. If you cannot make your own garb, this will become a very
        expensive hobby, very quickly. (okay, it's going to be expensive most
        times anyway, but it will be even MORE expensive) Depending on your
        persona, learning to make basic tunic and gown can be a life saver and
        money saver.

        Other fabric arts are fun. I've been learning to weave cord with a
        lucet, currently have about 6' hanging from the lucet that I really
        should cut off. Needlework, weaving and macrame are popular and not
        terribly difficult to learn, though they can take a long time to master.

        Scribal arts - I'm the first to admit, these have little appeal for me.
        I cannot draw worth beans, nor can I do anything more than basic block
        lettering that I learned in drafting class. But I find it fascinating
        to watch.

        Music - do you play an instrument or sing? Look into bardic activities.

        The best thought I can give you is to get out to events and see what
        others are going. When you see something that interests you, ask about
        it. Most SCAdians love to talk about their various hobbies.

        YIS
        Dragos Pelikanos
        "Let there be music! Let there be dancing!"

        angela wrote:
        > Okay, so I'm new... I've posted before about persona. I'm working on that, following advice and be vague for awhile. But I'm looking for any tips as far as good things to try to "test the waters". I have already fallen in love with archery, but have limited time in the place where I can practice. But as far as arts/other activities. What are some things that are recomended to try?
        >
        > Oh, and I wouldn't turn down and "I wish I had known that back then" tips either.
        >
        > Angie

      • Sue
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 12, 2010
          Hang around the Arts and Science part of an event -- take lots of classes - even in things that you don't "think" you would even remotely be intrested in. there might be something said in a class as an "aside" that sparks an intrest in something.

          When you do pick a time frame -- read lots of stuff about that era - never know where something intresting will show up. (I've *read* lots of books that I only ever read the captions on the pictures....Which was enough to know that WASN'T what I wanted to study)

          Talk to Peers....they don't bite (well I know a couple that do, but only if you ask them nicely....giggle) they were once a newcomer too. Heck just TALK TO PEOPLE

          Sit in a corner and most SCA folks will leave you alone.

          If somebody is working on something that is "neat" ASK them about it (Diety knows we are a gabby bunch and will talk about pet projects untill you fall over)

          Me I am really getting into the fiber arts and found KumiHimo (Japanese braiding) from a class on Samuri armor (they laced all the parts together) and that was just a class I managed to walk by at the right time.

          Lady Mariassa Ashgrove