Joining SCA

  • warbow67
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 12, 2010
      I have a basic question, which may seem silly to some. How do I join the SCA? Now I have looked over the SCA websites extensively, but still do not understand the process specifically. I live in New Hampshire, so I am looking to become part of the Barony of Stonemarche. But do I join THROUGH Stonemarche? Or do I join THROUGH the East Kingdom? Or do I join THROUGH the SCA worldwide? I just can't seem to find a membership application to download that has "Stonemarche" I can check off. Where do I send the money to? It's not that I do not understand reenacting, I am an experienced reenactor and I help new members coming into my own reenacting group (of another era). But the SCA membership seems confusing, at least compared to all other living history.

      Dave H
    • Susan Farmer
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 12, 2010
        Quoting warbow67 <warbow67@...>:

        > I have a basic question, which may seem silly to some. How do I join
        > the SCA? Now I have looked over the SCA websites extensively, but
        > still do not understand the process specifically. I live in New
        > Hampshire, so I am looking to become part of the Barony of
        > Stonemarche. But do I join THROUGH Stonemarche? Or do I join THROUGH
        > the East Kingdom? Or do I join THROUGH the SCA worldwide? I just
        > can't seem to find a membership application to download that has
        > "Stonemarche" I can check off. Where do I send the money to? It's
        > not that I do not understand reenacting, I am an experienced
        > reenactor and I help new members coming into my own reenacting group
        > (of another era). But the SCA membership seems confusing, at least
        > compared to all other living history.

        You just join SCA "corporate" -- once you do that, everything falls
        into place based on your mailing address.

        jerusha in Meridies
        -----
        Susan Farmer
        sfarmer@...
        Abraham Baldwin Agricultural College
        Division of Science and Math
      • Jeff Johnston
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 12, 2010
          first off I thought I'd mention that you don't need to join the SCA to attend meetings, practices, or even events. Have you been to an SCA meeting yet? If not I highly suggest going first.

          Now to join you just join SCA Inc don't worry about what barony or kingdom, just join and they'll populate that according to where you live.

          C� Allaidh Dona
          mka Jeff Johnston
          Heavy Fighter, Sometimes Fencer, Occasional Archer, MBCIT
          Mazer, working on being a Calligrapher, Maker of Torcs and Circlets
          Member of the Bookbinders Guild of Ealdormere
          Crewmember of the Good Ship Crimson Star
          Seneschal of The Shire of Trinovantia Nova, in the great land of Ealdormere

          http://cuallaidh.blogspot.com
          The Mead Hall - home to all things mead: http://mead.lilleypress.com

          On 2010-08-12, at 12:41 PM, warbow67 wrote:

          > I have a basic question, which may seem silly to some. How do I join the SCA? Now I have looked over the SCA websites extensively, but still do not understand the process specifically. I live in New Hampshire, so I am looking to become part of the Barony of Stonemarche. But do I join THROUGH Stonemarche? Or do I join THROUGH the East Kingdom? Or do I join THROUGH the SCA worldwide? I just can't seem to find a membership application to download that has "Stonemarche" I can check off. Where do I send the money to? It's not that I do not understand reenacting, I am an experienced reenactor and I help new members coming into my own reenacting group (of another era). But the SCA membership seems confusing, at least compared to all other living history.
          >
          > Dave H

        • Laurie Taylor
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 12, 2010
            www.sca.org <http://www.sca.org/>

            Click on 'become a member' - in a box about mid page

            Click on 'Purchase / Renew membership on-line

            The next screen will be the main Membership page, and you can click on 'join
            the SCA' on the right hand side.this will open a form to be filled in on
            screen. Just follow the steps.

            - or -

            Click on 'Print Membership Forms'

            This will give you a list of links specific to your location, US, Australia,
            New Zealand, Other International. From there, just print and use the
            correct form.

            I've done the on-line membership process. It's not difficult and even
            handles your family members' memberships as part of the same process.

            You were given good information in the other responses. You don't have to
            join right away.some people never officially join, yet play extensively.
            Also, once your membership application is in, you'll be part of the Barony
            closest to your zip code. HOWEVER, you are NOT limited to playing in that
            Barony. You can attend meetings and events anywhere that you like. I live
            in one Barony, but on the far side of that Barony's bounds and far from most
            of their activities. As a result, I mostly play in another Barony, the
            activities of which are very close to my home. I also play with a College
            group as I like the group and the things that they do. Whatever makes you
            happy, that's what you do in the SCA.

            Gelleia de Horslaporte

            Living in the Kingdom of Atenveldt and playing where ever.

            _____