Re: Broad persona question

  • Stefan li Rous
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 28, 2010
      Jon asked:
      <<< Is there a single source somewhere I can look to begin my persona research? I'm wondering if there would be a site somewhere, wiki style that I could look around to get general information about all possible types before trying to narrow it down.>>>

      Most of the replies I've seen to your question deal more with researching a particular persona for a particular time and place. Let me approach your question from a different angle, and ask what do you want to get out of picking a persona and how deep do you wish to go?

      The minimum requirement in the SCA, like the one for "an attempt at medieval clothing" is intentionally vague and not very demanding.

      Some people, like me, sorry to say, have only the vaguest of outlines for their persona. Even after playing for 20 years, I can sum up my persona in about a paragraph. "A minor lord of Anglo-Norman background living in and having lands in, the Shire of York in the year 1150 CE.". Others can tell you what they had for breakfast this day, what they do on a daily basis and where precisely any lands they have are located.

      In my opinion, persona is not an elaborate persona story about how you got kidnapped by pirates, traveled across the sea, fought in War X, were knighted for valor, married a princess and then got in to life as a trader and traveled all over the Far East etc.etc.

      Among other things, how often do you sit down with someone you've just met and say what year you think it is? And how often do you spill out your life's story as a history line?

      For some good articles on what various people mean by "persona", and as I said, it varies a lot from individual to individual, see these files in the PERSONA section of the Florilegium:
      Probably the core of what many people in the SCA base their ideas of persona on:
      persona-art (14K) 11/12/96 An article on persona by Duke Cariadoc.

      persona-msg (77K) 8/15/08 Persona development. Ideas of Persona.

      Persona-f-Beg-art (12K) 1/13/02 "Creating Your SCA Persona for Beginners" by Lady Lucia Borromeo.

      Persona-CMA-art (13K) 2/18/05 "Persona in the Current Middle Ages - Guidelines to persona play" by Mistress Willow de Wisp.

      Barbrn-Persona-art (9K) 2/18/05 "Barbarian Personae" by Baron Hrolf Herjolfssen.

      Easy-Persona-art (12K) 12/26/00 "An Easy Way to Create a Persona in the SCA" by Lady Meliora Leuedai de Ardescote.

      These are only a subset of the articles in this section on developing your persona and what persona "is".

      Want to add some color to your persona, no matter what culture you pick? You might wish to do these for a single event and not your entire SCA lifetime.
      per-insanity-msg (30K) 4/17/08 Insane personas, insanity in period.

      per-lepers-msg (9K) 2/23/01 Stories of using leper personas.

      If you look at the SCA as the example, you'd think that all the Norse died when the Viking Age ended. Or that there was a sudden population explosion in 1595. Here are some ideas for some lessor used personas if you'd like to stand out from the herd:
      Som-Per-Ideas-art (16K) 12/31/02 "Some Persona Ideas" by HL Elaine de Montgris (known as 'Lainie).

      And to the idea of picking a culture and a time, you might consider what you do and do not want to wear. I know women who have specifically picked a culture for their persona because it was one where women were allowed to wear pants. If you look good in hose (or don't) you might wish to consider a culture where men wore hose. Or didn't. The same goes for men who don't wish to wear "dresses".

      Often buying a theater book which gives outline drawings of the clothing from a wide range of cultures and times can help you get an idea of which cultures you might wish to investigate further (or not).

      While hardly comprehensive, I like to think that the CULTURES section in the Florilegium is a good starting place to learn more about specific cultures and times.

      I hope this helps.