Re: broad person question

  • Honour Horne-Jaruk
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 28, 2010
      Respected friends:
      "JonH" jon.horde@... jon.horde
      Posted on Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:44 am ((PDT))

      > Is there a single source somewhere I can look to begin my
      > persona research? I'm wondering if there would be a site
      > somewhere, wiki style that I could look around to get
      > general information about all possible types before trying
      > to narrow it down.
      > Thank you.
      > Jon
      This is the advice I've given everyone since I joined the SCA 36 years ago:
      1: Get hold of as as many costume books as you can.
      2: Look at all the photos of _original art_ (not re-draws!) in them.
      3: Find the times and places where people were trying to look like they had the body you already have. (For example: bone-skinny, you would look like an ideal man from the England of Edward the Sixth; stout and muscular, you would look like a handsome fellow from the reign of his father, Henry the Eighth.)
      4: Once you've pinpointed the times and places your body was born for, look up those times/places to see which one has activities, occupations, politics, etc. that look most interesting; start with that.
      The reason this works is because people feel better if they know they look good. So, by finding the time/place where people were half-killing themselves to get your body, you've found the clothes that are going to look fantastic on you-- and you'll feel fantastic wearing them. which means you'll start every event knowing that, whatever else may befall, folks will like your looks. I can tally up the people this didn't work for magnificently without even taking my shoes off.

      Yours in service to both the Societies of which I am a member-
      (Friend) Honour Horne-Jaruk, R.S.F.
      Alizaundre de Brebeuf, C.O.L. S.C.A.- AKA Una the wisewoman, or That Pict

      FORTE EST VINUM, FORTIOR EST REX, FORTIORES SUNT MULIERES: SUPER OMNIA VINCIT VERITAS