Broad persona question

  • JonH
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 27 10:40 AM
      Is there a single source somewhere I can look to begin my persona research? I'm wondering if there would be a site somewhere, wiki style that I could look around to get general information about all possible types before trying to narrow it down.
      Thank you.
      Jon
    • christopher chastain
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 27 11:18 AM
        You gotta be more specific starting out, most sites are culture specific

        Yours in Humble Service,
        Pomestnik Dmitrii Ivanov
        Per saltire sable and azure, a two headed eagle displayed and in chief a mullet of eight points argent

        "Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it!"

        To: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com
        From: jon.horde@...
        Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2010 17:40:24 +0000
        Subject: [SCA Newcomers] Broad persona question

        Is there a single source somewhere I can look to begin my persona research? I'm wondering if there would be a site somewhere, wiki style that I could look around to get general information about all possible types before trying to narrow it down.
        Thank you.
        Jon

      • julian wilson
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 27 11:46 AM
          Jon,
           I doubt I will be the only responder to advise you that your question is simply too broad to answer. And that you'll have to be more specific.
          The Society covers 1000 years of History for all of the Known World prior to 1600CE. Which includes even Mongols, Tartars,  & C from the Steppes, Imperial China, Imperial Japan, Indian Warriors from the Mughal Empire, Arabs,  and all the Western European Cultures.
          Many SCA newcomers tend to take their "lead" from any Theme they observe in their nearest local group - if there are any Housholds in which such a Theme predominates - Saxons, Normans, Vikings, Venetians, Byzantines, Samurai, Teutonic Knights, Landknechts, and so on.
          From what you know of pre-1600 Knowne Worlde History - is there a particular period and culture to which you are already attracted?

          In Service to the Current Middle Ages,
           Lord Matthewe Baker,
           Drachenwald.

          Is there a single source somewhere I can look to begin my persona research? I'm wondering if there would be a site somewhere, wiki style that I could look around to get general information about all possible types before trying to narrow it down.

          Thank you.

          Jon

        • Susan Farmer
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 27 11:59 AM
            Quoting JonH <jon.horde@...>:

            > Is there a single source somewhere I can look to begin my persona
            > research? I'm wondering if there would be a site somewhere, wiki
            > style that I could look around to get general information about all
            > possible types before trying to narrow it down.

            Personally, I'd start with your basic European or World History
            textbook. The SCA covers around 500-1000 years and a *LOT* of
            geography!

            jerusha
            -----
            Susan Farmer
            sfarmer@...
            Abraham Baldwin Agricultural College
            Division of Science and Math
          • D'vorah bint al-Attar
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 27 1:47 PM
              On 27 Jul 2010, at 12:40 PM, JonH wrote:

              > Is there a single source somewhere I can look to begin my persona research? I'm wondering if there would be a site somewhere, wiki style that I could look around to get general information about all possible types before trying to narrow it down.
              > Thank you.
              > Jon

              The SCA website says that the requirement for participation is "an attempt at pre-17th century clothing." It's a big world we live in, and thanks to science we realize that that world existed for about 14 billion years prior to the 17th century. So, no, there's no one single source that will be definitive for you.

              There ARE some very good sources, though. It will help if you decide at least the broad outlines first. Would you like to be European, or would you like to be from a non-European civilization that had contact with Europe prior to 1600? That's a good place to start. It'll also help you if you can decide whether you'd like to be late-period (say, 1400 or after) or earlier (anywhere from 1399 to, going backward, the very first human beings that walked the earth). Once you have broad lines drawn, you can more easily decide where to start looking.
              D'vorah bint al-Attar
              Master Albrecht Waldfurster's Egg
              dvorah@...
              Facebook: D'vorah Bint Al-Attar
            • Sue
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 27 1:51 PM
                I read somewhere that a good way to "pick a time period" is to look through a bunch of art books and look at all the clothes

                if there is something in there that makes you go -- ohhhh, I LIKE that -- start there.

                Mariassa Ashgrove

                On 27 Jul 2010, at 12:40 PM, JonH wrote:

                > Is there a single source somewhere I can look to begin my persona research? I'm wondering if there would be a site somewhere, wiki style that I could look around to get general information about all possible types before trying to narrow it down.
                > Thank you.
                > Jon

                The SCA website says that the requirement for participation is "an attempt at pre-17th century clothing." It's a big world we live in, and thanks to science we realize that that world existed for about 14 billion years prior to the 17th century. So, no, there's no one single source that will be definitive for you.

                There ARE some very good sources, though. It will help if you decide at least the broad outlines first. Would you like to be European, or would you like to be from a non-European civilization that had contact with Europe prior to 1600? That's a good place to start. It'll also help you if you can decide whether you'd like to be late-period (say, 1400 or after) or earlier (anywhere from 1399 to, going backward, the very first human beings that walked the earth). Once you have broad lines drawn, you can more easily decide where to start looking.
                D'vorah bint al-Attar
                Master Albrecht Waldfurster's Egg
                dvorah@...
                Facebook: D'vorah Bint Al-Attar
              • Sara L Uckelman
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 27 1:58 PM
                  Quoth "Sue":
                  > I read somewhere that a good way to "pick a time period" is to look through a
                  > bunch of art books and look at all the clothes

                  When I was trying to settle on a time period for my persona (culture
                  was already fixed), I found Bernard Grun's _The Timetables of History_
                  fascinating.

                  -Aryanhwy

                  --
                  vita sine literis mors est
                  http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 28 8:09 AM
                    Greetings to the list;

                    I'm a relative newcomer myself and have recently been searching Persona information for the rest of my family.

                    http://www.modaruniversity.org/Heraldry7.htm

                    This is one that my daughter says was a great place to start. He has links to a variety of periods and other resources. You won't find one inclusive wiki style site but you will have a good running start into broader internet research.

                    For myself, I followed the much repeated suggestion: Find the thing you like about the SCA and build from there. For me, it was rapier fighting so I immediately limited myself to late period. For my wife, it was comfortable garb so she pursuid Ottoman. For others, its been a distinctive art or science of choice.

                    I hope this helps.

                    Your Servant

                    Edmund Halliday

                    Previously of Wexford 1596
                    Presently of Borealis AS XLV

                  • Bill Toscano
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 28 8:32 AM
                      I have not been following the whole thread, but a couple of thoughts.

                      1. Some people like a particular name or style of name. You could build your
                      persona from there.

                      2. Some people like particular garb and build their personas that way.

                      Once you have it narrowed down, there are lots of specific sites, and you
                      should also talk to people with the same personas.

                      Liam

                    • Stefan li Rous
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jul 28 4:18 PM
                        Jon asked:
                        <<< Is there a single source somewhere I can look to begin my persona research? I'm wondering if there would be a site somewhere, wiki style that I could look around to get general information about all possible types before trying to narrow it down.>>>

                        Most of the replies I've seen to your question deal more with researching a particular persona for a particular time and place. Let me approach your question from a different angle, and ask what do you want to get out of picking a persona and how deep do you wish to go?

                        The minimum requirement in the SCA, like the one for "an attempt at medieval clothing" is intentionally vague and not very demanding.

                        Some people, like me, sorry to say, have only the vaguest of outlines for their persona. Even after playing for 20 years, I can sum up my persona in about a paragraph. "A minor lord of Anglo-Norman background living in and having lands in, the Shire of York in the year 1150 CE.". Others can tell you what they had for breakfast this day, what they do on a daily basis and where precisely any lands they have are located.

                        In my opinion, persona is not an elaborate persona story about how you got kidnapped by pirates, traveled across the sea, fought in War X, were knighted for valor, married a princess and then got in to life as a trader and traveled all over the Far East etc.etc.

                        Among other things, how often do you sit down with someone you've just met and say what year you think it is? And how often do you spill out your life's story as a history line?

                        For some good articles on what various people mean by "persona", and as I said, it varies a lot from individual to individual, see these files in the PERSONA section of the Florilegium:
                        Probably the core of what many people in the SCA base their ideas of persona on:
                        persona-art (14K) 11/12/96 An article on persona by Duke Cariadoc.
                        http://www.florilegium.org/files/PERSONAS/persona-art.html

                        persona-msg (77K) 8/15/08 Persona development. Ideas of Persona.
                        http://www.florilegium.org/files/PERSONAS/persona-msg.html

                        Persona-f-Beg-art (12K) 1/13/02 "Creating Your SCA Persona for Beginners" by Lady Lucia Borromeo.
                        http://www.florilegium.org/files/PERSONAS/Persona-f-Beg-art.html

                        Persona-CMA-art (13K) 2/18/05 "Persona in the Current Middle Ages - Guidelines to persona play" by Mistress Willow de Wisp.
                        http://www.florilegium.org/files/PERSONAS/Persona-CMA-art.html

                        Barbrn-Persona-art (9K) 2/18/05 "Barbarian Personae" by Baron Hrolf Herjolfssen.
                        http://www.florilegium.org/files/PERSONAS/Barbrn-Persona-art.html

                        Easy-Persona-art (12K) 12/26/00 "An Easy Way to Create a Persona in the SCA" by Lady Meliora Leuedai de Ardescote.
                        http://www.florilegium.org/files/PERSONAS/Easy-Persona-art.html

                        These are only a subset of the articles in this section on developing your persona and what persona "is".

                        Want to add some color to your persona, no matter what culture you pick? You might wish to do these for a single event and not your entire SCA lifetime.
                        per-insanity-msg (30K) 4/17/08 Insane personas, insanity in period.
                        http://www.florilegium.org/files/PERSONAS/per-insanity-msg.html

                        per-lepers-msg (9K) 2/23/01 Stories of using leper personas.
                        http://www.florilegium.org/files/PERSONAS/per-lepers-msg.html

                        If you look at the SCA as the example, you'd think that all the Norse died when the Viking Age ended. Or that there was a sudden population explosion in 1595. Here are some ideas for some lessor used personas if you'd like to stand out from the herd:
                        Som-Per-Ideas-art (16K) 12/31/02 "Some Persona Ideas" by HL Elaine de Montgris (known as 'Lainie).
                        http://www.florilegium.org/files/PERSONAS/Som-Per-Ideas-art.html

                        And to the idea of picking a culture and a time, you might consider what you do and do not want to wear. I know women who have specifically picked a culture for their persona because it was one where women were allowed to wear pants. If you look good in hose (or don't) you might wish to consider a culture where men wore hose. Or didn't. The same goes for men who don't wish to wear "dresses".

                        Often buying a theater book which gives outline drawings of the clothing from a wide range of cultures and times can help you get an idea of which cultures you might wish to investigate further (or not).

                        While hardly comprehensive, I like to think that the CULTURES section in the Florilegium is a good starting place to learn more about specific cultures and times.

                        I hope this helps.
                        Stefan
                        --------