Re: [SCA Newcomers] Evelot: Name - Pronunciation

  • Sara L Uckelman
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 17, 2010
      Quoth "katepoe":
      > Can someone help me pronounce "Evelot" or "Eveling"? Thank you!

      The first vowel in both could range anywhere form \eh\ to \ee\ to
      \ay\ (as in 'hay'). Taking \eh\ for example, the first is roughly
      \eh-veh-LOT\ or \eh-veh-LO\ (depending on how much a particular
      speaker is influenced by French), and the second \eh-ve-ling\,
      with equal stress on all syllables or stress on the first if it
      is \ee\ or \ay\.

      -Aryanhwy

      --
      vita sine literis mors est
      http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 18, 2010
        Could "Eveling" rhyme with "Evening?"

        --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Sara L Uckelman <liana@...> wrote:

        > Quoth "katepoe":
        > > Can someone help me pronounce "Evelot" or "Eveling"? Thank you!
        >
        > The first vowel in both could range anywhere form \eh\ to \ee\ to
        > \ay\ (as in 'hay'). Taking \eh\ for example, the first is roughly
        > \eh-veh-LOT\ or \eh-veh-LO\ (depending on how much a particular
        > speaker is influenced by French), and the second \eh-ve-ling\,
        > with equal stress on all syllables or stress on the first if it
        > is \ee\ or \ay\.
        >
        > -Aryanhwy
        >
        > --
        > vita sine literis mors est
        > http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/

      • Sara L Uckelman
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 18, 2010
          Quoth "Kate Poe":
          > Could "Eveling" rhyme with "Evening?"

          It could, but I think it's more likely that the initial vowel
          here is \ay\ or \eh\ rather than \ee\.

          -Aryanhwy

          --
          vita sine literis mors est