Evelot: Name - Pronunciation

  • katepoe
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 16, 2010
      Can someone help me pronounce "Evelot" or "Eveling"? Thank you!
    • Sara L Uckelman
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 17, 2010
        Quoth "katepoe":
        > Can someone help me pronounce "Evelot" or "Eveling"? Thank you!

        The first vowel in both could range anywhere form \eh\ to \ee\ to
        \ay\ (as in 'hay'). Taking \eh\ for example, the first is roughly
        \eh-veh-LOT\ or \eh-veh-LO\ (depending on how much a particular
        speaker is influenced by French), and the second \eh-ve-ling\,
        with equal stress on all syllables or stress on the first if it
        is \ee\ or \ay\.

        -Aryanhwy

        --
        vita sine literis mors est
        http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 18, 2010
          Could "Eveling" rhyme with "Evening?"

          --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Sara L Uckelman <liana@...> wrote:

          > Quoth "katepoe":
          > > Can someone help me pronounce "Evelot" or "Eveling"? Thank you!
          >
          > The first vowel in both could range anywhere form \eh\ to \ee\ to
          > \ay\ (as in 'hay'). Taking \eh\ for example, the first is roughly
          > \eh-veh-LOT\ or \eh-veh-LO\ (depending on how much a particular
          > speaker is influenced by French), and the second \eh-ve-ling\,
          > with equal stress on all syllables or stress on the first if it
          > is \ee\ or \ay\.
          >
          > -Aryanhwy
          >
          > --
          > vita sine literis mors est
          > http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/

        • Sara L Uckelman
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 18, 2010
            Quoth "Kate Poe":
            > Could "Eveling" rhyme with "Evening?"

            It could, but I think it's more likely that the initial vowel
            here is \ay\ or \eh\ rather than \ee\.

            -Aryanhwy

            --
            vita sine literis mors est