Re:helpful hints for pennsic

  • Bambi TBNL
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 14, 2010
      Toilet paper rolls are necessarily unwieldy. A few years ago, I found a
      solution. In many camping stores that also have portable camping toilets, I have
      found you can get the travel toilet paper. It is rolled W/O a cardboard tube and
      in a plastic pack that coulbe as a despenser and it is for use where
      biodegradable is an extra good thing. I want to say a form of it is made by
      coleman but Im not sure...I havent bought my stach for this year... I can never
      remember the lable. but look for it..It willfit in a toiletries caddy or even a
      generously sized pouch.

       Bambi (To be named ater) TBNL

      I am made for great things by GOD
      and walk with Pride!!!!
      Walladah bint al Mustakfi c 1100ad
      see me dance
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HMtOoXtMs0

    • Stefan li Rous
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 15, 2010
        Since we seem to have gotten onto the subject of SCA camping and/or Pennsic, let me mention some files that might be of use to folks, especially those new to camping and especially those new to Pennsic.

        Check out the files in both the SCA-CAMPING and the PENNSIC sections of the Florilegium. Here are a few of the files, to give you an idea of what is there.

        If you don't like the idea of using the public showers, and the main problem I've had with them through the years is the often lack of hot water more than the other concerns voiced, many camps have their own showers. Here are some ideas on how to do that.

        camp-showers-msg (30K) 6/22/09 Camp shower ideas for outside SCA events.
        http://www.florilegium.org/files/CAMPING/camp-showers-msg.html

        Even though there are some flushies at Pennsic, the main toilet facilities are the modern, plastic porta-johns. I recommend that everyone read this article. Among other things, way too many people leave the lids up when finished, which defeats the ventilation systems built into them.

        Care-o-Prvies-art (5K) 11/10/02 On the Care and Feeding of the Wild Porta-Privy" by Lord Iain mac Caradoc.
        http://www.florilegium.org/files/CAMPING/Care-o-Prvies-art.html

        New-2-Pennsic-msg (44K) 6/23/04 Information for those new to Pennsic.
        http://www.florilegium.org/files/PENNSIC/New-2-Pennsic-msg.html

        P-Sanitation-art (18K) 8/13/09 "Pennsic Sanitation for the Compleat Idiot" by Qatagin-u Jajiradai (called Master Jaji)
        http://www.florilegium.org/files/PENNSIC/P-Sanitation-art.html

        Pennsic-Prep-art (12K) 8/22/02 "A Newcomer's Guide for Pre-Pennsic Prep" by Lady Meliora Leuedai de Ardescote.
        http://www.florilegium.org/files/PENNSIC/Pennsic-Prep-art.html

        P-Food-Safety-art (7K) 7/19/01 "Pennsic Food Safety" by Andrew MacRobb.
        http://www.florilegium.org/files/PENNSIC/P-Food-Safety-art.html

        Pennsic-101-art (8K) 8/17/03 An article for those new to Pennsic by Culaan.
        http://www.florilegium.org/files/PENNSIC/Pennsic-101-art.html

        This one was illustrated by William Blackfox, now deceased, known throughout the Known World for his cartoons. Read this, follow the recommendations and perhaps avoid burning yourself or your friends at Pennsic or other SCA events with fires.
        Fire-Book-art (739K) 12/28/00 Baron Durr's Guide to Safe Fire Use.
        http://www.florilegium.org/files/PENNSIC/Fire-Book/Fire-Book-art.html

        Again, this is a sampling of only a few of the files in these two sections. There are more files there that may also be of interest.

        Stefan

        --------