Re: [SCA Newcomers] (unknown)

  • Bill Toscano
    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 7, 2010
      Justin: Thanks!

      That's a wonderful explanation.

      Liam

    • julian wilson
      Message 2 of 17 , Jul 7, 2010
        Gentles of the List,
        Matthewe Baker apologises to any of you who have lately received a phishing e-mail bearing his  e-mail address [forged].
        I did not send it. And only my Son, - an expert in IT security for the local branch of a BIG foreign bank, - has access to my home-based computer. Even he, only has Dministrators access - he doesn't have my Yahoo.password, and I don't even have Microsoft Outlook installed in this machine.
        My Avast anti-virus Programme swears I have no infected files, and no hacking attacks have been recorded by my System.
        However my entire Address Book has been deleted,  - and someone is forging my e-mail address as an "originator".
        So if you get something in your "Inbox" which seems to originate from me - but with a questionable "subject header" - or none at all save "Re: - " - just delete them without opening.
        I don't know how long it's going to take me to establish a new e-mail identity with higher security than I have at the moment; - so if you get any more phishing e-mails apparently from me - I'm apologising to you all in advance!

        Julain Wilson,
         aka Matthewe Baker in the SCA.

        Message 3 of 17 , Jul 7, 2010
          Already was taken care of when i saw that yesterday morning. sorry that that
          happened. I am pretty sure it is just a slow hacker.... I had one of my online
          games hacked about a month ago and wondered if or if not he had gone after my
          email.. guess he got that info... sad... So sorry again. I was on my way out the
          door when i stopped to check my email.

          ________________________________
          On Tue, 2010-07-06 at 04:27 -0700, Nicole Davis wrote:
          > http://v.....

          Spam link (redacted above). Do not follow.

          I have placed the member account -- which has probably been compromised
          by the recent phishing attack -- on "moderated" status until the problem
          is resolved. I also deleted the original message with the full link, so
          the spammers can't use our archives to spread their garbage.

          Nicole, what probably happened is that you were tricked by a similar
          link into entering your Yahoo password into a fake login page. This is
          called "phishing". You will need to change your Yahoo password, and I
          also recommend that you change the password on any other major sites
          such as Facebook or Twitter where you use the same login name, as the
          phishers are probably smart enough to try your credentials there as
          well.

          I will remind the list that Nicole is a victim, not a perpetrator here.
          My moderation action is to protect the list from further spam posts, and
          Nicole is not being penalized. Her account will be reactivated as soon
          as the problem is resolved. In the meantime, she is welcome to post, but
          the messages will require moderator approval. This is standard policy.

          Kind regards,

          fesswise reversed sable.

          justin@...://4th.com/sca/justin/

        • Justinos Tekton called Justin
          Message 4 of 17 , Jul 7, 2010
            On Wed, 2010-07-07 at 13:54 -0700, Nicole Davis wrote:
            > Already was taken care of when i saw that yesterday morning. sorry
            > that that
            > happened. I am pretty sure it is just a slow hacker.... I had one of
            > my online
            > games hacked about a month ago and wondered if or if not he had gone
            > after my
            > email.. guess he got that info... sad... So sorry again. I was on my
            > way out the
            > door when i stopped to check my email.

            No problem. I'll leave your account on "moderated" for a couple more
            days until we're really sure the problem is gone, but as you can see
            there is no problem getting your messages onto the list, as we have
            several co-moderators who can approve them.

            Kind regards,

            fesswise reversed sable.

            justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/
          • Leah Clark
            Message 5 of 17 , Mar 28, 2012
              I am trully sorry about the link have changed password my account had been hacked

              [[ MODERATOR redacted the spam link accidentally quoted from the original ]]
            • Justinos Tekton called Justin
              Message 6 of 17 , Mar 28, 2012
                On Wed, 2012-03-28 at 13:34 -0700, Leah Clark wrote:
                > I am trully sorry about the link have changed password my account had
                > been hacked
                >

                > [[ MODERATOR redacted the spam link accidentally quoted from the
                > original ]]

                Apology accepted, M'Lady, and as I said you're the victim here and not
                being blamed. :)

                That being said, I will note that it's my standard policy to leave an
                account on moderated-posting status for a few days even after the
                password is changed, just to be on the safe side.

                One small tip, to anyone discussing a spam link posted to the list like
                this. Be careful not to quote the bad link in the reply to the list, for
                that just propagates it further. :)

                Having dealt with this particular mode of attack for almost two years
                now, on a dozen or more lists that I maintain, I believe that there is a
                special, very unpleasant, place on the deepest plane of the Abyss
                reserved for the people who perpetrate these account compromises.