Re: [SCA Newcomers] Mongolian persona naming question

  • Bill Toscano
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 20, 2010
      Have you looked at these links?

      http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/mongol.shtml

    • jessikastarbutt
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 20, 2010
        I did not even know that was an option! Thanks for your help!

        --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Ron Osceola <ronosceola@...> wrote:

        > Another consideration is your Mongolian name plus a Mongolian region as an
        > identifier or surname.
        >
        > On Sun, Jun 20, 2010 at 6:46 AM, jessikastarbutt <jnsorenson@...>wrote:
        >

        > > Greetings!
        > > Hopefully someone here can help me!
        > > Due to SCA rules on insisting on a surname, even though Mongolians did not
        > > use them, I have to break normal accurate naming rules. I am wanting to know
        > > if since it is already out of period to use a surname if I can break a rule
        > > then diving my name into two pieces. The name is Berkedai. Can it be changed
        > > to Berke Dai? Or could I use a clan name perhaps? Another possibility I
        > > considered is rather or not I could add a single word perhaps and use it as
        > > a surname to SCA standards?
        > >
        > > Thanks for any help you all could possible offer to me!
        > >

        > --
        > Ron Osceola
        >
        > http://ronsmagic.com
        > 804.385.0485

      • Stefan li Rous
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 21, 2010
          I did not even know that was an option! Thanks for your help!

          --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Ron Osceola <ronosceola@...> wrote:

          > Another consideration is your Mongolian name plus a Mongolian region as an
          > identifier or surname.

          Yes. Or a descriptor.

          My name Stefan li Rous, is Stefan the Red (I have red hair) in old French. My persona is an 1150s Anglo-Norman.

          I'm not sure how difficult it will be to translate something into Mongolian.

          Stefan

          --------
        • Ziddinaaitzumar@comcast.net
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 7 9:00 PM
            I assume that, by now, someone has pointed you in the direction of the Mongolian groups within the SCA???  Just wondering...  Haven't been keeping up with the list - twonky computer!!