Re: [SCA Newcomers] Mongolian persona naming question

  • Ron Osceola
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 20, 2010
      Another consideration is your Mongolian name plus a Mongolian region as an
      identifier or surname.

      --
      Ron Osceola

      http://ronsmagic.com
      804.385.0485

    • Bill Toscano
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 20, 2010
        Have you looked at these links?

        http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/mongol.shtml

      • jessikastarbutt
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 20, 2010
          I did not even know that was an option! Thanks for your help!

          --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Ron Osceola <ronosceola@...> wrote:

          > Another consideration is your Mongolian name plus a Mongolian region as an
          > identifier or surname.
          >
          > On Sun, Jun 20, 2010 at 6:46 AM, jessikastarbutt <jnsorenson@...>wrote:
          >

          > > Greetings!
          > > Hopefully someone here can help me!
          > > Due to SCA rules on insisting on a surname, even though Mongolians did not
          > > use them, I have to break normal accurate naming rules. I am wanting to know
          > > if since it is already out of period to use a surname if I can break a rule
          > > then diving my name into two pieces. The name is Berkedai. Can it be changed
          > > to Berke Dai? Or could I use a clan name perhaps? Another possibility I
          > > considered is rather or not I could add a single word perhaps and use it as
          > > a surname to SCA standards?
          > >
          > > Thanks for any help you all could possible offer to me!
          > >

          > --
          > Ron Osceola
          >
          > http://ronsmagic.com
          > 804.385.0485

        • Stefan li Rous
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 21, 2010
            I did not even know that was an option! Thanks for your help!

            --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Ron Osceola <ronosceola@...> wrote:

            > Another consideration is your Mongolian name plus a Mongolian region as an
            > identifier or surname.

            Yes. Or a descriptor.

            My name Stefan li Rous, is Stefan the Red (I have red hair) in old French. My persona is an 1150s Anglo-Norman.

            I'm not sure how difficult it will be to translate something into Mongolian.

            Stefan

            --------
          • Ziddinaaitzumar@comcast.net
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 7, 2010
              I assume that, by now, someone has pointed you in the direction of the Mongolian groups within the SCA???  Just wondering...  Haven't been keeping up with the list - twonky computer!!