Mongolian persona naming question

  • jessikastarbutt
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 20, 2010
      Greetings!
      Hopefully someone here can help me!
      Due to SCA rules on insisting on a surname, even though Mongolians did not use them, I have to break normal accurate naming rules. I am wanting to know if since it is already out of period to use a surname if I can break a rule then diving my name into two pieces. The name is Berkedai. Can it be changed to Berke Dai? Or could I use a clan name perhaps? Another possibility I considered is rather or not I could add a single word perhaps and use it as a surname to SCA standards?

      Thanks for any help you all could possible offer to me!
    • D'vorah bint al-Attar
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 20, 2010
        On 20 Jun 2010, at 5:46 AM, jessikastarbutt wrote:

        > Greetings!
        > Hopefully someone here can help me!
        > Due to SCA rules on insisting on a surname, even though Mongolians did not use them, I have to break normal accurate naming rules. I am wanting to know if since it is already out of period to use a surname if I can break a rule then diving my name into two pieces. The name is Berkedai. Can it be changed to Berke Dai? Or could I use a clan name perhaps? Another possibility I considered is rather or not I could add a single word perhaps and use it as a surname to SCA standards?
        >
        > Thanks for any help you all could possible offer to me!

        Actually, the SCA doesn't require the use of a surname, but rather, the use of a byname. It's the difference between Harry Potter and Harry the Potter: one was passed down from his father and presumably a few generations back further to one that actually was a potter, and the other makes Harry himself the ceramicist.
        D'vorah bint al-Attar
        Master Albrecht Waldfurster's Egg
        dvorah@...
        Facebook: D'vorah Bint Al-Attar
      • Ron Osceola
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 20, 2010
          Another consideration is your Mongolian name plus a Mongolian region as an
          identifier or surname.

          --
          Ron Osceola

          http://ronsmagic.com
          804.385.0485

        • Bill Toscano
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 20, 2010
            Have you looked at these links?

            http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/mongol.shtml

          • jessikastarbutt
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 20, 2010
              I did not even know that was an option! Thanks for your help!

              --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Ron Osceola <ronosceola@...> wrote:

              > Another consideration is your Mongolian name plus a Mongolian region as an
              > identifier or surname.
              >
              > On Sun, Jun 20, 2010 at 6:46 AM, jessikastarbutt <jnsorenson@...>wrote:
              >

              > > Greetings!
              > > Hopefully someone here can help me!
              > > Due to SCA rules on insisting on a surname, even though Mongolians did not
              > > use them, I have to break normal accurate naming rules. I am wanting to know
              > > if since it is already out of period to use a surname if I can break a rule
              > > then diving my name into two pieces. The name is Berkedai. Can it be changed
              > > to Berke Dai? Or could I use a clan name perhaps? Another possibility I
              > > considered is rather or not I could add a single word perhaps and use it as
              > > a surname to SCA standards?
              > >
              > > Thanks for any help you all could possible offer to me!
              > >

              > --
              > Ron Osceola
              >
              > http://ronsmagic.com
              > 804.385.0485

            • Stefan li Rous
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 21, 2010
                I did not even know that was an option! Thanks for your help!

                --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Ron Osceola <ronosceola@...> wrote:

                > Another consideration is your Mongolian name plus a Mongolian region as an
                > identifier or surname.

                Yes. Or a descriptor.

                My name Stefan li Rous, is Stefan the Red (I have red hair) in old French. My persona is an 1150s Anglo-Norman.

                I'm not sure how difficult it will be to translate something into Mongolian.

                Stefan

                --------
              • Ziddinaaitzumar@comcast.net
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 7 9:00 PM
                  I assume that, by now, someone has pointed you in the direction of the Mongolian groups within the SCA???  Just wondering...  Haven't been keeping up with the list - twonky computer!!