Re: [SCA Newcomers] Interesting Question

  • Bambi TBNL
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 16, 2010
      from the dept of boring factoids you never wanted to know
      if you take a modern german translation of shakespear and
      an orignal writing of shakes pear...it is pretty sclose word for word...even a lot of the grammer
      the german  word for grain is Korn
       the german word for corn is Maize
      In germany , Maize is used as annimal fodder because it doe not grow of a humanly marketable quality there.
      in the late 1940s at the end of WWII when there were no farms with enough to feed the german citizens while they rebuilt their country, the US ,hearing the plea of the  pupolace of war ravage germany, sent a humanitarian gift of corn/maize to feed them.
      whether accidentally or deliberately , the letter from the newly formed govt had been tranlated incorrectly. in the 1970's I knew people who had been on the receiving end of that debacle and who still could not understand how the US has so callously sent animal fodder to a country whose children were starving.
      yeah out of period sort of but the language mishap seeds were definately planted in period.Bambi (To be named ater) TBNL

      I am made for great things by GOD
      and walk with Pride!!!!
      Walladah bint al Mustakfi c 1100ad
      see me dance
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HMtOoXtMs0

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 17, 2010
        Bambi, some of us are well aware of the pitfalls of foreign languages which contain words like US or UK English, but have altered meanings. Chuckle!!
        When I first visited France as a schoolboy, " when the world was young, and the Queen was new, and there were no unclean ideals in the land" [points for anyone recdognising the quotation] -  I stayed with a VIP upper-Middle-Class  family who owned a string of Breweries and Bars throughout Metropolitan France. One of the French words for a [drinking] Bar is "brasserie". I kept on confusing it with "brassiere" to their great amusement, and my considerable embarrassment.
        Then there are the opportunities to make bi-lingual puns - as in "in Germany, fast food is the würst that can happen to you!" ["würst" being the German word for sausage].
         When I learned my German, at school over 60 years ago, one of the first nouns we were taught in preparation for a School Exchange Trip to Solingen, was  "Abort" so that if we were "caught-short", - we could ask for directions to the nearest Toilet. Andhow  to find a Policeman - or the local Police Station - it was "SchüPo" or "SchüPoHaus" ["ShüPo" bering short for "SchützPolizei"]
        Returning to Germany to work, after an absence of decades, I found my school-era German came flooding back - but noticed that many words - "Abort" and "SchüPo" amongst them - had either gone out of use entirely - or changed their meanings.
        More embarassment while i updated my vocab. and my idioms!
        However, a compensation [especially when visiting Museums] was that I'd not forgotten how to both write and read the "alte Deutsche Scrift" [still in wide user during my school-age visits] - to the considerable surprise of many Germans younger than I - who had never learned how to do this.

        Lord Matthewe Baker,
         [still amused ny the memories!]