RE: [SCA Newcomers] Interesting Question

  • Kyla
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 16, 2010
      I think part of the confusion comes from the use of terms.

      Historically, the word corn has sometimes meant the most common grain grown
      in an area - I'm a little fuzzy on the details of what constitutes an area -
      so the word could be referring to wheat or barley, or any other grain.

      The new world only grew one grain crop - maize - so that was the 'corn' of
      the region.

      You can see how that might have helped to confuse the issue.
      Americans say 'corn' when they mean 'maize', and Europeans think they
      understand the question, but they might be answering by talking about rye or
      millet.

      It always helps to define the terms used.

      Tabitha Pennywarden
      Ravenslake, Midlands
      Middle Kingdom

      From: sfarmer@...
      Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2010 11:50:12 -0400

      Quoting christopher chastain <ckchastain@...>:

      > Now this brings a question to my mind. I have had folks tell me corn
      > or maize was new world only and I have had some folks say thats
      > false that Europeans had a crop that was very similar to Maize and
      > of the same family. Now I know I was educated in SC but could
      > someone nail this debate to a close for me please.

      Corn is a grass -- so yeah, there was *LOTS* of stuff in Europe from
      the same family. But Corn /Zea mays/ is indeed native to Central and
      South America. When it was introduced, it was seen mostly as a forage
      crop. There are *still* places in Europe where folks won't eat corn
      (now, that may be a very localized phenomenon) because it's perceived
      as "animal food." Columbus brought some back with him.

      The book that we use as a text (why, no, SCAdians aren't book junkies,
      why do you ask?) is _Economic Botany: Plants in Our World_ by Simpson
      and Ogorzaly.

      jerusha
      -----
      Susan Farmer
      sfarmer@...
      Abraham Baldwin Agricultural College
      Division of Science and Math

    • Nicole Davis
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 16, 2010
        Actually yes it did because it gave me a new area to research into to get a decent time frame for when chili's came to europe, around 1493 when Columbus came back after visiting The New World again

        ________________________________
        From: Summer <cowboysladygoneinsane@...>
        Subject: [SCA Newcomers] Interesting Question
        To: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Wednesday, June 16, 2010, 12:20 AM

        My husband and I were just having an interesting debate. Would there have been Jalapeno's in Period Europe? Or would they have just been considered another Chilli?

      • Kristen Praiswater
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 16, 2010
          I'm glad it helped you.

          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 16, 2010
            <<

            Thank you, I knew there was a logical conclusion to this as I didnt have the answer and dont like to call folks out without it!

            Yours in Humble Service,
            Pomestnik Dmitrii Ivanov
            Per saltire sable and azure, a two headed eagle displayed and in chief a mullet of eight points argent

            "Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it!">>

            There is also the fact that the English refer to wheat and similar grains as "corn". So you may well run into the word "corn" in a period source, but most likely it refers to a variety of wheat rather than to maize.

            Brangwana Morgan
            Shire of Silver Rylle, East Kingdom
            Lancaster, PA

          • Bambi TBNL
            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 16, 2010
              from the dept of boring factoids you never wanted to know
              if you take a modern german translation of shakespear and
              an orignal writing of shakes pear...it is pretty sclose word for word...even a lot of the grammer
              the german  word for grain is Korn
               the german word for corn is Maize
              In germany , Maize is used as annimal fodder because it doe not grow of a humanly marketable quality there.
              in the late 1940s at the end of WWII when there were no farms with enough to feed the german citizens while they rebuilt their country, the US ,hearing the plea of the  pupolace of war ravage germany, sent a humanitarian gift of corn/maize to feed them.
              whether accidentally or deliberately , the letter from the newly formed govt had been tranlated incorrectly. in the 1970's I knew people who had been on the receiving end of that debacle and who still could not understand how the US has so callously sent animal fodder to a country whose children were starving.
              yeah out of period sort of but the language mishap seeds were definately planted in period.Bambi (To be named ater) TBNL

              I am made for great things by GOD
              and walk with Pride!!!!
              Walladah bint al Mustakfi c 1100ad
              see me dance
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HMtOoXtMs0

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 17, 2010
                Bambi, some of us are well aware of the pitfalls of foreign languages which contain words like US or UK English, but have altered meanings. Chuckle!!
                When I first visited France as a schoolboy, " when the world was young, and the Queen was new, and there were no unclean ideals in the land" [points for anyone recdognising the quotation] -  I stayed with a VIP upper-Middle-Class  family who owned a string of Breweries and Bars throughout Metropolitan France. One of the French words for a [drinking] Bar is "brasserie". I kept on confusing it with "brassiere" to their great amusement, and my considerable embarrassment.
                Then there are the opportunities to make bi-lingual puns - as in "in Germany, fast food is the würst that can happen to you!" ["würst" being the German word for sausage].
                 When I learned my German, at school over 60 years ago, one of the first nouns we were taught in preparation for a School Exchange Trip to Solingen, was  "Abort" so that if we were "caught-short", - we could ask for directions to the nearest Toilet. Andhow  to find a Policeman - or the local Police Station - it was "SchüPo" or "SchüPoHaus" ["ShüPo" bering short for "SchützPolizei"]
                Returning to Germany to work, after an absence of decades, I found my school-era German came flooding back - but noticed that many words - "Abort" and "SchüPo" amongst them - had either gone out of use entirely - or changed their meanings.
                More embarassment while i updated my vocab. and my idioms!
                However, a compensation [especially when visiting Museums] was that I'd not forgotten how to both write and read the "alte Deutsche Scrift" [still in wide user during my school-age visits] - to the considerable surprise of many Germans younger than I - who had never learned how to do this.

                Lord Matthewe Baker,
                 [still amused ny the memories!]