Re: [SCA Newcomers] Interesting Question

  • Bambi TBNL
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 16, 2010
      I so LOVE talk like this!!!
       Bambi (To be named ater) TBNL

      I am made for great things by GOD
      and walk with Pride!!!!
      Walladah bint al Mustakfi c 1100ad
      see me dance
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HMtOoXtMs0

      ________________________________
      From: Sara L Uckelman <liana@...>
      To: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Wed, June 16, 2010 9:27:14 AM
      Subject: Re: [SCA Newcomers] Interesting Question

      Quoth "Summer":
      > My husband and I were just having an interesting debate. Would there have bee
      > n Jalapeno's in Period Europe? Or would they have just been considered anothe
      > r Chilli?

      Japalenos are native to Mexico, so they wouldn't have shown up
      in Europe until the end of our period. The city that they are
      named after, Xalapa, was visited by the Spanish as early as 1519,
      so it's certainly possible that one of the explorers could've
      taken some back with him, though I don't know of any positive
      evidence to this effect. The earliest reference in English to
      the pepper that the Oxford English Dictionary (s.v. jalap) has
      is from 1675.

      -Aryanhwy

      --
      vita sine literis mors est
      http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/

    • christopher chastain
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 16, 2010
        Thank you, I knew there was a logical conclusion to this as I didnt have the answer and dont like to call folks out without it!

        Yours in Humble Service,
        Pomestnik Dmitrii Ivanov
        Per saltire sable and azure, a two headed eagle displayed and in chief a mullet of eight points argent

        "Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it!"

        To: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com
        From: sfarmer@...
        Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2010 11:50:12 -0400

        Quoting christopher chastain <ckchastain@...>:

        > Now this brings a question to my mind. I have had folks tell me corn
        > or maize was new world only and I have had some folks say thats
        > false that Europeans had a crop that was very similar to Maize and
        > of the same family. Now I know I was educated in SC but could
        > someone nail this debate to a close for me please.

        Corn is a grass -- so yeah, there was *LOTS* of stuff in Europe from
        the same family. But Corn /Zea mays/ is indeed native to Central and
        South America. When it was introduced, it was seen mostly as a forage
        crop. There are *still* places in Europe where folks won't eat corn
        (now, that may be a very localized phenomenon) because it's perceived
        as "animal food." Columbus brought some back with him.

        The book that we use as a text (why, no, SCAdians aren't book junkies,
        why do you ask?) is _Economic Botany: Plants in Our World_ by Simpson
        and Ogorzaly.

        jerusha
        -----
        Susan Farmer
        sfarmer@...
        Abraham Baldwin Agricultural College
        Division of Science and Math

      • Kristen Praiswater
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 16, 2010
          They would have been considered a chili.  Most of of our peppers that we have now were new world foods back then.  I help run a kitchen demo, so I have to know my stuff.  Hope this helps your debate.

          Sherrif of Seleone
          Valentina Elisabetta della Luna
          aka
          Kristen Praiswater

          My husband and I were just having an interesting debate. Would there have been Jalapeno's in Period Europe? Or would they have just been considered another Chilli?

        • Kyla
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 16, 2010
            I think part of the confusion comes from the use of terms.

            Historically, the word corn has sometimes meant the most common grain grown
            in an area - I'm a little fuzzy on the details of what constitutes an area -
            so the word could be referring to wheat or barley, or any other grain.

            The new world only grew one grain crop - maize - so that was the 'corn' of
            the region.

            You can see how that might have helped to confuse the issue.
            Americans say 'corn' when they mean 'maize', and Europeans think they
            understand the question, but they might be answering by talking about rye or
            millet.

            It always helps to define the terms used.

            Tabitha Pennywarden
            Ravenslake, Midlands
            Middle Kingdom

            From: sfarmer@...
            Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2010 11:50:12 -0400

            Quoting christopher chastain <ckchastain@...>:

            > Now this brings a question to my mind. I have had folks tell me corn
            > or maize was new world only and I have had some folks say thats
            > false that Europeans had a crop that was very similar to Maize and
            > of the same family. Now I know I was educated in SC but could
            > someone nail this debate to a close for me please.

            Corn is a grass -- so yeah, there was *LOTS* of stuff in Europe from
            the same family. But Corn /Zea mays/ is indeed native to Central and
            South America. When it was introduced, it was seen mostly as a forage
            crop. There are *still* places in Europe where folks won't eat corn
            (now, that may be a very localized phenomenon) because it's perceived
            as "animal food." Columbus brought some back with him.

            The book that we use as a text (why, no, SCAdians aren't book junkies,
            why do you ask?) is _Economic Botany: Plants in Our World_ by Simpson
            and Ogorzaly.

            jerusha
            -----
            Susan Farmer
            sfarmer@...
            Abraham Baldwin Agricultural College
            Division of Science and Math

          • Nicole Davis
            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 16, 2010
              Actually yes it did because it gave me a new area to research into to get a decent time frame for when chili's came to europe, around 1493 when Columbus came back after visiting The New World again

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 16, 2010
                I'm glad it helped you.

                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 16, 2010
                  <<

                  Thank you, I knew there was a logical conclusion to this as I didnt have the answer and dont like to call folks out without it!

                  Yours in Humble Service,
                  Pomestnik Dmitrii Ivanov
                  Per saltire sable and azure, a two headed eagle displayed and in chief a mullet of eight points argent

                  "Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it!">>

                  There is also the fact that the English refer to wheat and similar grains as "corn". So you may well run into the word "corn" in a period source, but most likely it refers to a variety of wheat rather than to maize.

                  Brangwana Morgan
                  Shire of Silver Rylle, East Kingdom
                  Lancaster, PA

                • Bambi TBNL
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jun 16, 2010
                    from the dept of boring factoids you never wanted to know
                    if you take a modern german translation of shakespear and
                    an orignal writing of shakes pear...it is pretty sclose word for word...even a lot of the grammer
                    the german  word for grain is Korn
                     the german word for corn is Maize
                    In germany , Maize is used as annimal fodder because it doe not grow of a humanly marketable quality there.
                    in the late 1940s at the end of WWII when there were no farms with enough to feed the german citizens while they rebuilt their country, the US ,hearing the plea of the  pupolace of war ravage germany, sent a humanitarian gift of corn/maize to feed them.
                    whether accidentally or deliberately , the letter from the newly formed govt had been tranlated incorrectly. in the 1970's I knew people who had been on the receiving end of that debacle and who still could not understand how the US has so callously sent animal fodder to a country whose children were starving.
                    yeah out of period sort of but the language mishap seeds were definately planted in period.Bambi (To be named ater) TBNL

                    Message 9 of 15 , Jun 17, 2010
                      Bambi, some of us are well aware of the pitfalls of foreign languages which contain words like US or UK English, but have altered meanings. Chuckle!!
                      When I first visited France as a schoolboy, " when the world was young, and the Queen was new, and there were no unclean ideals in the land" [points for anyone recdognising the quotation] -  I stayed with a VIP upper-Middle-Class  family who owned a string of Breweries and Bars throughout Metropolitan France. One of the French words for a [drinking] Bar is "brasserie". I kept on confusing it with "brassiere" to their great amusement, and my considerable embarrassment.
                      Then there are the opportunities to make bi-lingual puns - as in "in Germany, fast food is the würst that can happen to you!" ["würst" being the German word for sausage].
                       When I learned my German, at school over 60 years ago, one of the first nouns we were taught in preparation for a School Exchange Trip to Solingen, was  "Abort" so that if we were "caught-short", - we could ask for directions to the nearest Toilet. Andhow  to find a Policeman - or the local Police Station - it was "SchüPo" or "SchüPoHaus" ["ShüPo" bering short for "SchützPolizei"]
                      Returning to Germany to work, after an absence of decades, I found my school-era German came flooding back - but noticed that many words - "Abort" and "SchüPo" amongst them - had either gone out of use entirely - or changed their meanings.
                      More embarassment while i updated my vocab. and my idioms!
                      However, a compensation [especially when visiting Museums] was that I'd not forgotten how to both write and read the "alte Deutsche Scrift" [still in wide user during my school-age visits] - to the considerable surprise of many Germans younger than I - who had never learned how to do this.

                      Lord Matthewe Baker,
                       [still amused ny the memories!]