Re: [SCA Newcomers] Interesting Question

  • Justinos Tekton called Justin
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 16, 2010
      On Wed, 2010-06-16 at 15:27 +0200, Sara L Uckelman wrote:
      > The city that they are
      > named after, Xalapa,

      I didn't know they were named after a city! Thanks for an interesting
      bit of trivia.

      Kind regards,

      Justin
      ....who loves spicy food

      fesswise reversed sable.

      justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/
    • Susan Farmer
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 16, 2010
        Quoting Summer <cowboysladygoneinsane@...>:

        > My husband and I were just having an interesting debate. Would there
        > have been Jalapeno's in Period Europe? Or would they have just been
        > considered another Chilli?

        Peppers are new world plants -- as are *most* Solaneaceous plants.
        Eggplant is native to Asia, but peppers (not /Piper nigrum/, aka Black
        pepper), tomatoes and potatoes are all new world.

        jerusha the botanist
        -----
        Susan Farmer
        sfarmer@...
        Abraham Baldwin Agricultural College
        Division of Science and Math
      • christopher chastain
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 16, 2010
          Now this brings a question to my mind. I have had folks tell me corn or maize was new world only and I have had some folks say thats false that Europeans had a crop that was very similar to Maize and of the same family. Now I know I was educated in SC but could someone nail this debate to a close for me please.

          Yours in Humble Service,
          Pomestnik Dmitrii Ivanov
          Per saltire sable and azure, a two headed eagle displayed and in chief a mullet of eight points argent

          "Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it!"

          To: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com
          From: sfarmer@...
          Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2010 11:28:36 -0400
          Subject: Re: [SCA Newcomers] Interesting Question

          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 16, 2010
            Quoting christopher chastain <ckchastain@...>:

            > Now this brings a question to my mind. I have had folks tell me corn
            > or maize was new world only and I have had some folks say thats
            > false that Europeans had a crop that was very similar to Maize and
            > of the same family. Now I know I was educated in SC but could
            > someone nail this debate to a close for me please.

            Corn is a grass -- so yeah, there was *LOTS* of stuff in Europe from
            the same family. But Corn /Zea mays/ is indeed native to Central and
            South America. When it was introduced, it was seen mostly as a forage
            crop. There are *still* places in Europe where folks won't eat corn
            (now, that may be a very localized phenomenon) because it's perceived
            as "animal food." Columbus brought some back with him.

            The book that we use as a text (why, no, SCAdians aren't book junkies,
            why do you ask?) is _Economic Botany: Plants in Our World_ by Simpson
            and Ogorzaly.

            jerusha
            -----
            Susan Farmer
            sfarmer@...
            Abraham Baldwin Agricultural College
            Division of Science and Math
          • Bambi TBNL
            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 16, 2010
              I so LOVE talk like this!!!
               Bambi (To be named ater) TBNL

              I am made for great things by GOD
              and walk with Pride!!!!
              Walladah bint al Mustakfi c 1100ad
              see me dance
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HMtOoXtMs0

              ________________________________

                From: sfarmer@...
                Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2010 11:50:12 -0400

                Quoting christopher chastain <ckchastain@...>:

                > Now this brings a question to my mind. I have had folks tell me corn
                > or maize was new world only and I have had some folks say thats
                > false that Europeans had a crop that was very similar to Maize and
                > of the same family. Now I know I was educated in SC but could
                > someone nail this debate to a close for me please.

                Corn is a grass -- so yeah, there was *LOTS* of stuff in Europe from
                the same family. But Corn /Zea mays/ is indeed native to Central and
                South America. When it was introduced, it was seen mostly as a forage
                crop. There are *still* places in Europe where folks won't eat corn
                (now, that may be a very localized phenomenon) because it's perceived
                as "animal food." Columbus brought some back with him.

                The book that we use as a text (why, no, SCAdians aren't book junkies,
                why do you ask?) is _Economic Botany: Plants in Our World_ by Simpson
                and Ogorzaly.

                jerusha
                -----
                Susan Farmer
                sfarmer@...
                Abraham Baldwin Agricultural College
                Division of Science and Math

              • Kristen Praiswater
                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 16, 2010
                  They would have been considered a chili.  Most of of our peppers that we have now were new world foods back then.  I help run a kitchen demo, so I have to know my stuff.  Hope this helps your debate.

                  Sherrif of Seleone
                  Valentina Elisabetta della Luna
                  aka
                  Kristen Praiswater

                  My husband and I were just having an interesting debate. Would there have been Jalapeno's in Period Europe? Or would they have just been considered another Chilli?

                • Kyla
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jun 16, 2010
                    I think part of the confusion comes from the use of terms.

                    Historically, the word corn has sometimes meant the most common grain grown
                    in an area - I'm a little fuzzy on the details of what constitutes an area -
                    so the word could be referring to wheat or barley, or any other grain.

                    The new world only grew one grain crop - maize - so that was the 'corn' of
                    the region.

                    You can see how that might have helped to confuse the issue.
                    Americans say 'corn' when they mean 'maize', and Europeans think they
                    understand the question, but they might be answering by talking about rye or
                    millet.

                    It always helps to define the terms used.

                    Tabitha Pennywarden
                    Ravenslake, Midlands
                    Middle Kingdom

                    From: sfarmer@...
                    Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2010 11:50:12 -0400

                    Quoting christopher chastain <ckchastain@...>:

                    > Now this brings a question to my mind. I have had folks tell me corn
                    > or maize was new world only and I have had some folks say thats
                    > false that Europeans had a crop that was very similar to Maize and
                    > of the same family. Now I know I was educated in SC but could
                    > someone nail this debate to a close for me please.

                    Corn is a grass -- so yeah, there was *LOTS* of stuff in Europe from
                    the same family. But Corn /Zea mays/ is indeed native to Central and
                    South America. When it was introduced, it was seen mostly as a forage
                    crop. There are *still* places in Europe where folks won't eat corn
                    (now, that may be a very localized phenomenon) because it's perceived
                    as "animal food." Columbus brought some back with him.

                    The book that we use as a text (why, no, SCAdians aren't book junkies,
                    why do you ask?) is _Economic Botany: Plants in Our World_ by Simpson
                    and Ogorzaly.

                    jerusha
                    -----
                    Susan Farmer
                    sfarmer@...
                    Abraham Baldwin Agricultural College
                    Division of Science and Math

                  • Nicole Davis
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jun 16, 2010
                      Actually yes it did because it gave me a new area to research into to get a decent time frame for when chili's came to europe, around 1493 when Columbus came back after visiting The New World again

                      ________________________________

                      Message 10 of 15 , Jun 16, 2010
                        I'm glad it helped you.

                        Message 11 of 15 , Jun 16, 2010
                          <<

                          Thank you, I knew there was a logical conclusion to this as I didnt have the answer and dont like to call folks out without it!

                          Yours in Humble Service,
                          Pomestnik Dmitrii Ivanov
                          Per saltire sable and azure, a two headed eagle displayed and in chief a mullet of eight points argent

                          "Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it!">>

                          There is also the fact that the English refer to wheat and similar grains as "corn". So you may well run into the word "corn" in a period source, but most likely it refers to a variety of wheat rather than to maize.

                          Brangwana Morgan
                          Shire of Silver Rylle, East Kingdom
                          Lancaster, PA

                        • Bambi TBNL
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jun 16, 2010
                            from the dept of boring factoids you never wanted to know
                            if you take a modern german translation of shakespear and
                            an orignal writing of shakes pear...it is pretty sclose word for word...even a lot of the grammer
                            the german  word for grain is Korn
                             the german word for corn is Maize
                            In germany , Maize is used as annimal fodder because it doe not grow of a humanly marketable quality there.
                            in the late 1940s at the end of WWII when there were no farms with enough to feed the german citizens while they rebuilt their country, the US ,hearing the plea of the  pupolace of war ravage germany, sent a humanitarian gift of corn/maize to feed them.
                            whether accidentally or deliberately , the letter from the newly formed govt had been tranlated incorrectly. in the 1970's I knew people who had been on the receiving end of that debacle and who still could not understand how the US has so callously sent animal fodder to a country whose children were starving.
                            yeah out of period sort of but the language mishap seeds were definately planted in period.Bambi (To be named ater) TBNL

                            Message 13 of 15 , Jun 17, 2010
                              Bambi, some of us are well aware of the pitfalls of foreign languages which contain words like US or UK English, but have altered meanings. Chuckle!!
                              When I first visited France as a schoolboy, " when the world was young, and the Queen was new, and there were no unclean ideals in the land" [points for anyone recdognising the quotation] -  I stayed with a VIP upper-Middle-Class  family who owned a string of Breweries and Bars throughout Metropolitan France. One of the French words for a [drinking] Bar is "brasserie". I kept on confusing it with "brassiere" to their great amusement, and my considerable embarrassment.
                              Then there are the opportunities to make bi-lingual puns - as in "in Germany, fast food is the würst that can happen to you!" ["würst" being the German word for sausage].
                               When I learned my German, at school over 60 years ago, one of the first nouns we were taught in preparation for a School Exchange Trip to Solingen, was  "Abort" so that if we were "caught-short", - we could ask for directions to the nearest Toilet. Andhow  to find a Policeman - or the local Police Station - it was "SchüPo" or "SchüPoHaus" ["ShüPo" bering short for "SchützPolizei"]
                              Returning to Germany to work, after an absence of decades, I found my school-era German came flooding back - but noticed that many words - "Abort" and "SchüPo" amongst them - had either gone out of use entirely - or changed their meanings.
                              More embarassment while i updated my vocab. and my idioms!
                              However, a compensation [especially when visiting Museums] was that I'd not forgotten how to both write and read the "alte Deutsche Scrift" [still in wide user during my school-age visits] - to the considerable surprise of many Germans younger than I - who had never learned how to do this.

                              Lord Matthewe Baker,
                               [still amused ny the memories!]